Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2020, 21:58   #12346
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I really can't get around the fact that Shaw is picked ahead of KL and Gill! On what basis is he picked!!!
Shaw scored a 50 in the last test India played (in NZ before lockdown). So would be difficult to drop a batsman who has done well in the last test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What time is the match tomorrow and what channel?
9:30AM IST, think the same channel as ODI, T20I - Sony Six / Sony Ten.
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 02:14   #12347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
May be he got impressed by Shaw's leg spin. A viral video of he spining the bowl beating everyone including Saha is doing the rounds
Bowling quota - damn it. We had selected Raina in ODI & T20 based on his bowling capability and that was a mixed bag as he was a sitting duck against genuine pace bowlers.

Quote:
This series should be seen as a litmus test for Rahane. A lot has been said of him however he hasn't performed anything extraordinary post the SA series. It is like getting a prize for being the nice guy of the lot without really adding much value.
I'd disagree here. I think he's done okay, but this series is where he'll be expected to score heavily along with Pujara.

Rahane has played three tests after the series against RSA. He scored 2 fifties against Bangladesh and hit 91 runs (4th highest Indian after 102, 100, 98) against NZ where every Indian batsman looked out of place.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 09:38   #12348
Distinguished - BHPian

And Prithvi Shaw is gone for a second ball duck! He just seems to have lost his technique. No foot movement and just a push at the ball.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 09:39   #12349
Senior - BHPian

Mayank & Pujara have to play time. It's okay to be 2/270 at EOD.

I hope Shaw scores something significant in the second innings to give our bewda (drunkard) coach some respite.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 17th December 2020 at 09:42.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 09:42   #12350
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And Prithvi Shaw is gone for a second ball duck! He just seems to have lost his technique. No foot movement and just a push at the ball.
I've said this before - Shaw lacks technique and especially in the test format, he will be sorted out pretty soon by the international bowlers and that's exactly what happened. So he hasn't really lost technique, it was never there and footwork, lesser said the better.

I will still give him the benefit of doubt and not write him off, after all there are so many who've scored a duck in the first inning and then played wonderfully in the second (though I must say I don't have too much hope on Shaw, do wish him luck).

Last edited by NPV : 17th December 2020 at 09:44.
Old 17th December 2020, 09:44   #12351
Senior - BHPian

By the time I could choose Sony and move channels and settle down to watch, I see Shaw walking back !. Did the selectors not see this coming after seeing the practice games.
Old 17th December 2020, 11:28   #12352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Almost looks like he is a walking wicket of late, have also heard he has a lot of attitude problem which he needs to sort out first. Guess he now has his last chance on the current tour to come good in the second innings
Old 17th December 2020, 11:38   #12353
Senior - BHPian

India 41/2 at dinner with 2 more sessions to go with a supper break
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 13:32   #12354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Mayank & Pujara have to play time. It's okay to be 2/270 at EOD.
It'll be great if we get to 2/180 by EOD considering that the run rate has been around 1.6-1.7 RPO for the entire day.

Pujara and Kohli are scoring extremely slowly. I'm guessing that the conditions + pink ball are very difficult for quick scoring.
Old 17th December 2020, 14:10   #12355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I've said this before - Shaw lacks technique and especially in the test format, he will be sorted out pretty soon by the international bowlers and that's exactly what happened.
KL Rahul should've got the nod ahead of Shaw. Shaw is short of serious runs off late and low on confidence too, it's exactly the opposite with KL. KL is a different player when his mind is in good space, irrespective of the format. He's in the midst of a purple patch and India need to cash in on that. We need an experienced hand too to fill the slot when Kohli leaves quarter way through the series. Hope Rohit and Mayank walks out together for next test with KL slotted in at 4. Gill's time would come at some point in the series too.

With Rohit and KL waiting in the wings, Shaw has to make amends soon and in the second outing itself if he nurses any hope of playing again in this series. By the time the series ends, I won't be surprised if we had tried at least three different opening combination - our perennial Achilles' heal.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 17th December 2020 at 14:20.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 14:32   #12356
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Pujara played wonderfully to give the stability after the quick loss of Prithwi Shaw. He perished again in the 40s, gosh how many times has he got out in the 40s

I just hope Rahane doesn't fall quickly and open the flood gates of the lower order.

This opening day should give an idea about how conditions are and what to expect, especially the folks who thought we'll get to 250+ on Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
KL Rahul should've got the nod ahead of Shaw. Shaw is short of serious runs off late and low on confidence too, it's exactly the opposite with KL.
Because of the mandatory quarantine, Rohit can start playing only from the third test, moreover he may not open.

If Shaw fails in the second innings as well, I hope Shubman Gill gets a chance in the next test.

KL Rahul will replace Virat Kohli from second test onwards.

Last edited by NPV : 17th December 2020 at 14:36.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 15:11   #12357
Senior - BHPian

Mohd. Amir quits international cricket.
Attached Thumbnails
The Cricket Thread-screenshot_20201217150935_inshorts.jpg  

Old 17th December 2020, 16:12   #12358
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've said this before - Shaw lacks technique and especially in the test format, So he hasn't really lost technique, it was never there and footwork, lesser said the better.
Sehwag was another one who didn't have great technique nor footwork but still managed to score decent runs. Shaw has to do the same, be disciplined & figure out a way to score runs.

Quote:
If Shaw fails in the second innings as well, I hope Shubman Gill gets a chance in the next test.
Good chance Shaw will be given another chance in the 2nd Test, with Gill replacing Virat.
Old 17th December 2020, 16:13   #12359
Senior - BHPian

Didn't have much hopes from Shaw and he didn't disappoint. Earlier Kohli and Pujara were going fine & Pujara's wicket was something we can't complain about. Was a good ball & Pujara looked uncomfortable against Lyon.

But just when things were looking stable with Kohli and Rahane going strong, Kohli's wicket was served in a platter. Rahane's fault for calling without seeing the fielder. This wicket will hurt India. And the pressure got better of him(Rahane) soon enough, wasted a review on the way out. Half the side is back in pavillion.

I guess this is the first year in quite sometime when Kohli finishes without a century inning in any format.

Edit : Hanuma Vihari as well gone now. Wonder if we can even cross 250? 300 looks uphill task

Last edited by SoumenD : 17th December 2020 at 16:40.
Old 17th December 2020, 16:27   #12360
BHPian

With Rahane gone, it would be another good opportunity for Saha. Vihari and Saha are capable batsmen and should take us through the last session. Ashwin too can bat and score few runs. Overall expect India to close out at 320 by Day 2 1st session. Still optimistic however if they apply themselves then it is very much possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks