Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2020, 09:44   #12376
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

I'm guessing India might be finished by 250.

We need Yadav, Bumrah, and Shami to be at the top of their game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Agree, which is why I said Test stats look decent for Shaw. However, the horses for courses strategy hasn't been applied consistently and in the right spirit as Kohli and Shastri may claim (that's the usual reasoning given for effecting team changes in every game).
I agree that VK + Shastri's Horses for Courses is absolute rubbish. I truly hope they can make amends and have Gill open in the 2nd test and Rahul at #4.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 09:55   #12377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I'm guessing India might be finished by 250.
Bingo! All out for 244. Though our bowling is decent, it's difficult to see us winning or even saving this match from here.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 18th December 2020 at 10:01.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 09:56   #12378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Wonder if we can even cross 250? 300 looks uphill task
As expected couldn’t even cross 250. The last few wickets bundled out like a pack of cards. 6 wickets for a paltry 56 runs. That Virat Kohli incident turned out to be turning point.

Let’s see how our bowlers perform now.

Last edited by SoumenD : 18th December 2020 at 09:57.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 10:41   #12379
KPR
BANNED

If Gill doesn't feature in the opening 2 games then there is no point in giving him a chance in 3rd or 4th game when we have already lost the series. Poor captaincy from VK. VK as a player is best and as a captain is below average. Regarding Rahane I don't have high hopes on him. He is currently the 'bits and pieces' player for ODI, IPL and Tests for India. I will be happy if Rahane proves me wrong.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 11:45   #12380
Distinguished - BHPian

bad batting by the tail but wonderful bowling by Indians. Could've easily been 35-3 had Bumrah not misjudged it terribly (and comically). Labuschagne has survived!
Australia took 28 balls to get off the mark (Trivia: this is happening after a century it seems)

Nicely poised though and an important session coming up in the test.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 11:47   #12381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Regarding Rahane I don't have high hopes on him. He is currently the 'bits and pieces' player for ODI, IPL and Tests for India. I will be happy if Rahane proves me wrong
Very true and to the point on Virat's captaincy and Rahane's role in the team. He was preferred over a batsman who scored a triple century. Karun Nair has gone in Oblivion after scoring such a mammoth score. He did get opportunities however far less than Rahane. KL Rahul is another batsman who should be preferred over Rahane considering his form and state of mind. He showed great composure and maturity as a captain in IPL and looks destined to be a good player if chances been given at the right time.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 12:14   #12382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Regarding Rahane I don't have high hopes on him. He is currently the 'bits and pieces' player for ODI, IPL and Tests for India. I will be happy if Rahane proves me wrong.
If you look at the recent stats, Rahane hasn't fared that bad as one thinks. Yes he hadn't risen to the occassion few times, but his average is pretty good especially against WI and SA in last two years. We're talking about a rare Indian batter whose away average is higher at 45 as against his career average of 43. His performances in the last few test matches is much better and hasn't done much wrong, the reason why retains the spot in the eleven.

The Cricket Thread-screenshot_20201218120520_espncricinfo.jpg

The Cricket Thread-screenshot_20201218121251_espncricinfo.jpg

Quote:
Edit:Labuschagne gets another life after Prithwi Shah put down a sitter
Man has to improve his fitness and fielding in a very big way if he wishes to play international cricket for a long time. Had few signs before too that he doesn't enjoy his fielding as much. A rare young Indian cricketer off late who has risen through the ranks with below average fielding standards.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 18th December 2020 at 12:39.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 12:25   #12383
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Very true and to the point on Virat's captaincy and Rahane's role in the team. He was preferred over a batsman who scored a triple century. Karun Nair has gone in Oblivion after scoring such a mammoth score. He did get opportunities however far less than Rahane. KL Rahul is another batsman who should be preferred over Rahane considering his form and state of mind. He showed great composure and maturity as a captain in IPL and looks destined to be a good player if chances been given at the right time.
KL Rahul getting too many chances earlier in other formats is another (contentious) argument, so there's no end, these aren't apples to apples comparisons.

Last edited by NPV : 18th December 2020 at 12:27.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 12:30   #12384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just feel so bad of PP Shaw. He's just having a torrid time since a few months. A good break and some technical adjustments will help him get back on track.
Needless to say, the trolls & media are going to make him the center of attention.

EDIT: Where is R Ashwin? The fast bowlers shouldn't be overworked.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 18th December 2020 at 12:41.
Old 18th December 2020, 12:51   #12385
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Going by the superstitions we're winning this test. We've already dropped 2 catches so far (Bumrah and Shaw). Remember Kohli dropping a sitter and Chahar dropping one too and India won games, then Smith dropping a sitter and Aus won the game.

Quote:
There he has come to send off Smith. If Lyon extracted bounce spin then why not talented and street smart Ashwin?

Last edited by KPR : 18th December 2020 at 12:52.
Old 18th December 2020, 12:51   #12386
BHPian

Quote:
He came and he conquered in his first over itself.

Btw on a lighter note:
VK looking for those who said India won the 2018/19 series because Smith was not playing and his record against India is awesome:
Attached Thumbnails
The Cricket Thread-images-15-25.jpeg  

Last edited by jigar : 18th December 2020 at 12:54.
jigar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 13:10   #12387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just feel so bad of PP Shaw. He's just having a torrid time since a few months. A good break and some technical adjustments will help him get back on track.
Needless to say, the trolls & media are going to make him the center of attention.
Rishabh Pant would be feeling a little relieved now the limelight(negative one) will be moving to Prithvi Shaw. If the 2nd ball duck wasn't enough, the dropped sitter of a catch would add to his woes. All these young players became popular overnight because of IPL and probably got introduced to mainstream a little too soon. Yes they have centuries in India but then playing in Aus/NZ/SA is a different ball game. Guess they(Pant/Prithvi) need more domestic practice and some India A outings before being let out on international stage.

And I agree on KL Rahul. While he was in bad form he was given so many chances and now when he is in his prime he is not in the team. Hope next match he gets the chance as Kohli would be leaving & open the innings with Mayank.

Last edited by SoumenD : 18th December 2020 at 13:40.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 13:20   #12388
KPR
BANNED

Prithvi has dropped ball on Prithvi.
Old 18th December 2020, 15:18   #12389
Senior - BHPian

Say whatever, but I think value of the runs scored by Cheteshwar, Virat, and Rahane are just amplified by the current game situation. Barring Marnus (who had a little bit of luck), no Australian batsman showed any resistance.

I guess the pitch and pink ball combination is difficult for batsmen. I guess we still need to understand the dynamics of the pink ball and the different lighting conditions.
Old 18th December 2020, 15:42   #12390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess the pitch and pink ball combination is difficult for batsmen. I guess we still need to understand the dynamics of the pink ball and the different lighting conditions.
Looks like it. I still remember the 1st pink ball test in this very ground. Used to stay in Adelaide back then and was lucky to witness that historic first match between Australia and New zealand in person . The ball was doing a lot and batsmen had a tough time negotiating it. 5 years down the line it still looks tough to play.

A pic from that first pink ball test match The Cricket Thread-9b629b1122ab4cd9b9d8a18fc9d8d8e1.jpeg

P.S: 13 wickets in a day already, and can be more. Wow. Great to see Indian bowlers rising upto the occasion and most importantly ball sticking to hands finally after the first couple of dropped ones. 60-70 runs lead in 1st innings would be a huge confidence booster.

Last edited by SoumenD : 18th December 2020 at 16:11.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks