Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2018, 07:24   #10876
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
Why leave out poor Karun Nair?
Karun Nair is neither in the good books of the captain (like K L Rahul), nor has the selectors backing (like Rohit Sharma) to get a long rope.
Old 30th September 2018, 09:06   #10877
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Indian team for the Windies Tests:*Virat Kohli (captain), KL Rahul, Prithvi Shaw, Mayank Agarwal, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane (vice-captain), Hanuma Vihari, Rishabh Pant (wicket-keeper), R Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammed Shami, Umesh Yadav, Mohammed Siraj, Shardul Thakur.

First time sensible selection keeping in mind not to injure main test players for Australia and giving chances to the worthy.
This is nice. Pleasantly surprised to see Dhawan being dropped, which means Prithvi Shaw should be opening the batting for sure.

Also, Siraj is in red hot form. Would really like to see him play both tests.
Old 30th September 2018, 11:05   #10878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post

This is the perfect Indian XI IMO .

1.Rohit 2. Dhawan 3. KL Rahul 4. Kohli 5. Rayudu 6. Dhoni 7. Jadhav/ Pandya
8. Bhuvi 9. Kuldeep 10. Chahal 11. Bumrah
I completely agree. Rahul should play at no.3, Virat needs to go a little deeper to cover up for Dhoni. I have a feeling Pandya will play and Jadhav will play ahead of Rayudu,

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Indian team for the Windies Tests:*Virat Kohli (captain), KL Rahul, Prithvi Shaw, Mayank Agarwal, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane (vice-captain), Hanuma Vihari, Rishabh Pant (wicket-keeper), R Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammed Shami, Umesh Yadav, Mohammed Siraj, Shardul Thakur.

First time sensible selection keeping in mind not to injure main test players for Australia and giving chances to the worthy.
I think its a poor call not to recall Vijay. I think you could have given him one opportunity to prove his hunger- he has played well in the county season.

I think Umesh Yadav and Siraj can make a good case for themselves.

Rahane needs to fire- I think it is something about Kohli's captaincy that's not bringing the best among players like Vijay, Pujara and Rahane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post

MS or no MS; no bunch of players in team can guarantee anyone winning a WC.
Too late to replace Dhoni- I think he should stay till the 2019 WC and then decide his future.

Even if Dhoni the batsman doesn't play too well, I think Dhoni the keeper and Dhoni the senior is valuable enough.

India has to ensure that the top 4 cover up well- and I think the order I mentioned in this post is the best considering the talent and performance.

I think KL Rahul has to be persisted with- remember how much of a rope Rohit was given?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th September 2018 at 12:43. Reason: Removing too many unwanted spacing between paras.
Old 1st October 2018, 23:52   #10879
Senior - BHPian

BCCI under RTI ?!
Quote:
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is covered under India's Right to Information (RTI) Act and answerable to the people of the country under its mechanism, the Central Information Commission (CIC) ruled on Monday.

The commission, the top appellate body in RTI matters, went through the law, orders of the Supreme Court, the Law Commission of India report, submissions of the Central Public Information Officer in the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports to conclude that the status, nature and functional characteristics of the BCCI fulfil required conditions of Section 2(h) of the RTI Act.

Section 2(h) of the Act defines criteria under which a body can be declared as public authority under the RTI Act.
Ref: http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...appellate-body
Old 2nd October 2018, 16:20   #10880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
This is already being challenged in the Supreme Court. If it does come under RTI, good thing is we know clearly the financial position(s). Bad thing(s) are questions about selection/non-selection of specific players will be raised under RTI, and this would make BCCI guys answer this aspect, more than focus on the game itself.
Old 4th October 2018, 09:17   #10881
Distinguished - BHPian

India have won the toss and elected to bat.
Let the backyard bashing of a weak team begin!

But on a positive side, the Indian playing XI looks well balanced. Rahul, Prithvi Shaw, Pujara, Kohli, Rahane, Rishabh Pant, Ashwin, Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Shami and Umesh Yadav.
Old 4th October 2018, 09:40   #10882
Team-BHP Support

What a selfish review by Rahul. He behaves as if he is entitled to a review, being a top order batsman. Surely, he knew that it was plumb.
Old 4th October 2018, 09:42   #10883
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

India 3/1 already after Rahul goes for duck!
*now 7/1, all 7 runs scored by Prithvi Shaw
Old 4th October 2018, 12:57   #10884
Distinguished - BHPian

12th Indian to get a century in his debut innings
71st player overall to get a century in his debut innings

15th Indian to get a century in his debut match
104th player overall to get a century in his Debut match

3rd fastest 100 on Test debut overall
2nd fastest 100 on Test debut by and Indian after Dhawan

2nd youngest Indian at the time of maiden Test 100 after Sachin
7th youngest player overall at the time of maiden Test 100

4th youngest player overall to get a debut Test 100
Youngest Indian to get a debut Test 100

Century on Ranji debut, Century on Duleep debut, Century on Test debut

Phew! One century and so many records! Well player by the teenager Prithwi Shaw

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 4th October 2018 at 12:59.
Old 4th October 2018, 13:08   #10885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Phew! One century and so many records!...Prithwi Shaw
Indeed.

Any idea how many batsmen have previously scored centuries on the very first day of their debut tests? And as openers?
Old 4th October 2018, 13:29   #10886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
12th Indian to get a century in his debut innings
.. and now the highest. The previous record of 110 was held by Mohammad Azharuddin.
Old 4th October 2018, 16:57   #10887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
If it's anyone going who might cost us a knockout game; could be QF, SF or even the Finals, it will invariably be the top order collapse, who fail in such matches.
It could also be the bowlers who after going well through a tournament suddenly get tonked all over the place.
But yes, usually its the dependency on the top 3.
Old 4th October 2018, 18:09   #10888
Team-BHP Support

KL Rahul should take one hard look in the mirror; he is almost guaranteed to not be useful these days. Just the flamboyance and no striking contribution with the bat.

And Rahane. Agree his confidence has been destroyed by the team management, or whoever Kohli considers responsible for team selections; but he should pull up his socks. This match was one to make a big score but he is out at 41.
Old 4th October 2018, 19:10   #10889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
KL Rahul
And Rahane.
Agree on both.

KL Rahul should realise very soon the patience will run off. India cannot afford to have a test opener who is either a hit or a miss. One thing you need from an opener is consistency and ability to see through the new ball.
It won't be long before someone else grabs the opportunity and runs away. I am afraid, he would be one more on a long list of players thought to have great potential but never materialised.

Rahane used to be my favorite test player 2 years back. Now I am afraid we have seen off his best and he will never be what he was some years back. It won't be long before India begin to look beyond him as well!
Old 4th October 2018, 20:07   #10890
Distinguished - BHPian

Rahul will get to play this and maximum the Australia series. If he doesn't perform, he may well go the Rohit Sharma way limited to only white ball cricket even though they were considered better red ball players. If Shaw performs well in the Australian series as well, then Rahul, Vijay and Dhawan will be fighting for 1 spot. Or Manjot Kalra might also come in.

Rahane may get a little longer rope owing to the Mumbai lobby. Sad to see him as he is right now. Shubman Gill and Mayank Agarwal are waiting to grab this spot.

And another reason why I was unhappy with Rahul and Rahane today is because of the DRS calls. Rahul definitely would have known that that was right in front of the stumps. Rahane...after taking the review looked at the bottom edge of his bat showing clearly that he knew it hit there. Both times we lost the reviews. In this match it is ok, but not in other matches when situation is tough and all-rounders or bowlers may be batting their skins out and may need the review mire than the batsmen. Somebody should tell all the players that while batting the DRS calls are not just Batsmen's right!!

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 4th October 2018 at 20:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks