Old 29th November 2018, 11:12   #11027
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
About the Mithali Raj controversy - Coach Ramesh Powar's version comes out:

http://www.msn.com/en-in/sports/cric...ejo?ocid=ientp
Quote:
In all, Raj played out 17 dots in her 47-ball 56. Powar then gave her "one more opportunity" in the third match against Ireland to "prove her ability" as an opener and "execute the team strategies that is to bat with intent (dominance)." And Raj hit second fifty in a row to bag successive Player-of-the-Match awards. But the coach underlined the 25 dots in the 56-ball 51. "(That) added extra pressure & cost us Smriti, Jemimah's [Rodrigues] wicket & net run-rate."
I don't know about other things but this sounds like an annual appraisal comments by a manager to his subordinate engineer in some software firm! "You have done well, but you've a lot to improve"

Hope this issue is closed well...but as it stands, one pf the two will have to take a huge ego dent at the end of it.

And yeah it has all the ingredients for a good Bollywood biopic!
Old 29th November 2018, 11:19   #11028
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Don't really know how strong or weak the opposition is in the warm-up game which is currently going on considering the fact that someone like D'Arcy Short has bowled 10+ overs.
What BCCI should consider is sending the 'A' team to foreign conditions to play the Senior team in the warm up game, something which Cricket Australia plan to do before the Ashes.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/aust...ith/2018-11-28
Old 30th November 2018, 10:12   #11029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Both Rahul and Rahane haven't been shown any confidence by the management. Yes, they get picked in matches but do they have clarity in terms of their role....
Add to the fact that India play musical chairs with their openers hasn't helped anybody. I think Vijay was dealt with harshly in England, Rahul was never sure in South Africa or England. They way I see it now is that Dhawan's red ball career is finished and barring injury, Shaw will open in every Test in Australia. Vijay might find himself playing if Rahul fails in the first 2 games.

Rahane was unfairly dropped in South Africa in favor of Rohit. I think Rahane is far better Test batsman than anybody else in the side- just needs to get his act together. Talent's (i.e. Rohit) technique is too loose for the red ball game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Don't really know how strong or weak the opposition is in the warm-up game….What BCCI should consider is sending the 'A' team to foreign conditions to play the Senior team in the warm up game...
Smart thinking.

Warmups have become irrelevant off late, with some teams skipping them. ICC should have a guideline(not a rule) stating that the warmup team should consist of at least 5 members from the winning first class side. Warmups are still very necessary for Test cricket as the players need to get accustomed physically and mentally to 5 days of play.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 30th November 2018 at 10:14.
Old 30th November 2018, 10:15   #11030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't really know how strong or weak the opposition is in the warm-up game which is currently going on considering the fact that someone like D'Arcy Short has bowled 10+ overs.
What BCCI should consider is sending the 'A' team to foreign conditions to play the Senior team in the warm up game, something which Cricket Australia plan to do before the Ashes.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/aust...ith/2018-11-28
True and probably get the match bowlers and batsmen in different teams. That way bowlers get exposure of bowling against international batsmen and batsmen get the same as well. Could very well tell us the efficacy of each unit as well.
Old 30th November 2018, 11:07   #11031
Distinguished - BHPian

Prithwi Shaw has picked up an ankle injury today in the practice match and is ruled out of the 1st test. Sad! He has scored a fluent 60 odd earlier in the match.
Old 30th November 2018, 11:29   #11032
PPS
Senior - BHPian

^^ Considering its a ligament injury, I do not know how he will manage to recover for the remaining tests.
Signs are now ominous that Shikhar Dhawan will once again make a comeback into the Test Squad!
Old 30th November 2018, 20:16   #11033
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
^^ Considering its a ligament injury, I do not know how he will manage to recover for the remaining tests.
Signs are now ominous that Shikhar Dhawan will once again make a comeback into the Test Squad!
I would actually prefer that.

Vijay is finished at this level. With Shaw out, Dhawan and Rahul need to open. I would probably prefer Parthiv Patel given a go as an opener but that is wishful thinking.
Old 30th November 2018, 21:04   #11034
Senior - BHPian

About Mithali Raj, in the last world cup I did think that she was playing very slow which was impacting players coming after her. Maybe, everyone in the team also thought the same and had decided that she plays slow. They couldn't come out of it even if she played differently.
Old 30th November 2018, 22:24   #11035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I don't know about other things but this sounds like an annual appraisal comments by a manager to his subordinate engineer in some software firm! "You have done well, but you've a lot to improve"
!
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
About Mithali Raj, in the last world cup I did think that she was playing very slow which was impacting players coming after her.
Saw a few games and it looked as if the middle order is actually pretty weak. Some batters had difficulty in even placing the ball in gaps? Mithali at-least was fairly sure and assured at the crease. In the end, I think we lost because no one else could bat?

Powar, needs to face a lot of flak and really has a egg on his face for the decision of benching her. We lot because of over inflated egos of the so called team management. He has rightly been sacked.
Old 3rd December 2018, 23:36   #11036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even if Shaw doesn't recover, Mayank Agarwal will find a place in the squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Vijay is finished at this level....
Say that again mate.

One warmup game doesn't indicate too much, but we know now that Rahul and Vijay can score. Also, I do agree that he's finished if he doesn't perform well in this series.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 3rd December 2018 at 23:38.
Old 4th December 2018, 21:11   #11037
BHPian

Gautam Gambhir retires. Well played champ!

Source.
Old 6th December 2018, 07:13   #11038
Distinguished - BHPian

41-4 already in the first session. Hot day, wonderful wicket to bat on, luckily having won the toss, everyone expected a better performance from the Indian men's cricket side. Let's see how well they fight it out...
Old 6th December 2018, 07:29   #11039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
41-4 already in the first session....
The batting woes continue. India's batting would be the determining factor in the series and the first impression is not great. Looks like unforced errors in Rahul, Vijay and Rahane's dismissal.

Hopefully they turns things around quickly.
Old 6th December 2018, 07:30   #11040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
41-4 already in the first session. Hot day, wonderful wicket to bat on, luckily having won the toss, everyone expected a better performance from the Indian men's cricket side. Let's see how well they fight it out...
The cricketing world will soon find out that this depleted Australian team is not depleted afterall. This has a classical makings of "flat track bullies".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks