Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2018, 10:57   #11086
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Got too close for comfort in the end. For the last one hour I have been refreshing the scorecard in my browser every 3 minutes to see those last two wickets go down.

Well played India. From 40/4 in the first innings to come back and win is a big thing. Pujara take a bow. Nice to Indian quicks crank up the pace and make the Aussies jump on their turf. I believe in this match Indian quicks' average pace is the highest for any Indian attack in a test match ever since speed guns started recording this stat

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 10th December 2018 at 10:59.
Old 10th December 2018, 11:03   #11087
Senior - BHPian

Pujara was the difference between the 2 sides.
Ashwin is a much-improved bowler.
Rahane and Rahul played good innings, but nothing close to their potential.
Talent Sharma, hmm... let him just play white ball cricket.
Vijay's career looks finished when Shaw comes back. :(

The match was closer than it was supposed to be. I think India need Bhuvi instead of Shami. Also, Karun Nair or Hanuma Vihari should play the next game instead of Talent Sharma. Virat missed a trick by not throwing the ball to Rohit/Vijay during the last partnership- tailenders can lose their concentration easily.

Wonder why captains refuse to use part-timers nowadays?

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 10th December 2018 at 11:05.
Old 10th December 2018, 11:19   #11088
Senior - BHPian

Phew managed to win the match. One that we could have lost easily.

I fail to understand issue with Ashwin. Being the premier off spinner in the world, I expected him to out do on a fifth day pitch what Lyon did on the fourth day. But exceedingly it seems when you expect Ashwin to turn the match for you he under delivers.

Probably India should consider replacing Nohit with Jadeja or Bhuvi.

Both could almost match what Nohit does with bat against red ball and we also get an added bowling option.
Old 10th December 2018, 12:26   #11089
BHPian

That was a good test match. Too close to call towards the end with Aussie bowlers putting on a good defensive display.
Good win for Team India and hope this victory doesn't get to their head and they hold their own on pacy Perth track.
Old 10th December 2018, 12:38   #11090
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
That was a good test match. Too close to call towards the end with Aussie bowlers putting on a good defensive display.
Good win for Team India and hope this victory doesn't get to their head and they hold their own on pacy Perth track.
The second test will be played at the new Optus Stadium in Perth and not at the WACA. This stadium has a drop in pitch like the one at the MCG which is very benign. Don't know how this one will play. The WACA was a magnificent venue. I am really going to miss watching test match cricket at the WACA.
Old 10th December 2018, 12:56   #11091
BHPian

Too close for comfort. 30 runs is just too close. The difference was clearly Pujara in the match. India lost 4 wickets twice in the start and end (41-4 and 4-4) and he was the one who stood out.

Perth should be a cracker. No one knows what to expect from the new venue. Timing is also better for us!
Old 10th December 2018, 13:33   #11092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The second test will be played at the new Optus Stadium in Perth and not at the WACA. This stadium has a drop in pitch like the one at the MCG which is very benign. Don't know how this one will play. The WACA was a magnificent venue. I am really going to miss watching test match cricket at the WACA.
This is news to me. Thanks for sharing.
The minute I heard that the next test would be played at Perth, I assumed it would be the WACA. Wonder why they chose the new stadium over an iconic one for a game against India.
Old 10th December 2018, 14:49   #11093
Team-BHP Support

I noticed that there is a lot of twitter praise / chat around Pant sledging Pat Cummins. While it was ok this time, I hope this praise doesn't get into his head and he overdoes the yapping part.
Old 10th December 2018, 16:01   #11094
Distinguished - BHPian

That was close! Aussies dismissed for 15 runs less in the 1st innings and 16 runs less in the second. Pujara was aptly the MOM. Not just for the runs but I feel his two good reviews in the second innings which reversed the umpire's decision in his favor gave us the additional runs that equaled the margin of victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
This is news to me. Thanks for sharing.
The minute I heard that the next test would be played at Perth, I assumed it would be the WACA. Wonder why they chose the new stadium over an iconic one for a game against India.
Quoting from Wikipedia...
Quote:
As of the 2018/19 summer, the WACA Ground is no longer the primary international cricket venue in Perth. Perth Stadium in Burswood now hosts limited overs internationals, Test matches against high-drawing opponents (England, India and South Africa), and domestic Big Bash League (BBL) matches for Perth Scorchers. The WACA Ground will continue to host Tests against lower-drawing opponents, Sheffield Shield matches, and will be redeveloped into the state's leading cricket training facility
Old 10th December 2018, 17:15   #11095
BHPian

Two observations from the Test Match:
1. Defensive play from Australia really hurt them.
2. Kohli acting like a a school boy instead of a national skipper was a bit embarrassing to witness. Maybe I am in the minority in this view.
Old 10th December 2018, 17:48   #11096
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The second test will be played at the new Optus Stadium in Perth and not at the WACA. This stadium has a drop in pitch like the one at the MCG which is very benign.
Was watching the Australia-SA game a few weeks back played at the new stadium in Perth. The pitch had a lot of pace & bounce just like the good old WACA. Let's see what awaits us.
Old 11th December 2018, 13:58   #11097
Team-BHP Support

A very interesting (maybe even moving) interview with Gautam Gambhir.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...gautam-gambhir
Old 11th December 2018, 14:19   #11098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
One of the unsung heroes of the past decade. Any big win and he was usually there in the trenches.

I can completely empathise with his statement of things not coming easy. It also takes guts to speak openly against BCCI for the Azhar topic.
Best wishes for his second innings
Old 11th December 2018, 14:57   #11099
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...gautam-gambhir
Decent orator (I have heard him on other series in the past) and seems like a big-time cry-baby. While he definitely was one of the strong players of the previous (and current) decade, "team player" skillset might be a potential area of problem - it'll be interesting if we ever get to hear the other side of the table.

I'm guessing he's going to do great in commentary, in probably a year or two down the lane.
Old 11th December 2018, 15:13   #11100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Was watching the Australia-SA game a few weeks back played at the new stadium in Perth. The pitch had a lot of pace & bounce just like the good old WACA. Let's see what awaits us.
Well the curator expects a 'fiery wicket' at Perth reminiscent of the old WACA ground. He expects the team winning the toss to put the opposition in. India will be tempted to go in with 4 quicks given the so so performance of Ashwin at Adelaide. I want him in the team for lower order runs .

Source : https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/cr...ng-b881044163z

Most Viewed