Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2018, 12:04   #11011
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
All the good work the Indian Women's team has been doing of late stands the risk of being undone. This is what Mithali Raj's manager tweeted.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...rmanpreet-kaur
I was really surprised that she was not in the playing eleven. She played so well and even crossed that milestone of highest number of runs in T20s. I didnt understand why she is no longer our captain in T20s :(
Old 27th November 2018, 17:57   #11012
Team-BHP Support

Doesn't look good.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/66826897.cms

Quick question: what credentials does Mr. Ramesh Powar have in being appointed as the coach of the women's team. I know the same question can be asked of a certain other individual as well.

We need more Dravids: selfless, humble and deeply committed to the job putting the national interest above self.
Old 27th November 2018, 18:27   #11013
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quick question: what credentials does Mr. Ramesh Powar have in being appointed as the coach of the women's team. I know the same question can be asked of a certain other individual as well.
You mean Sanjay Bangar, the batting coach of Indian men's cricket team with 12 Test matches and 15 One Day Internationals in all? Wonder what he tells to our batsmen when even the likes of Pandya are more experienced than him

Quote:
We need more Dravids: selfless, humble and deeply committed to the job putting the national interest above self.
There was and probably will be just one Rahul Dravid. Respect.
Probably the reasons why he does not want to enter this arena- regionalism, politics and corruption. He is a man who has always kept himself away from all this. Money mindedness, power and authority- these words are not even there in his dictionary. Probably why he softly refused being the batting coach of the Senior cricket team.
Old 27th November 2018, 18:27   #11014
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
What kind of a team collapses from 50/0 to 90 all out?
That disastrous first innings did them in - despite a decent 318 in the second innings, they still lost by an Innings and 16 runs
Yasir Shah took 14 wickets (8 in first and 6 in second innings!)
Old 27th November 2018, 18:43   #11015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
You mean Sanjay Bangar, the batting coach of Indian men's cricket team with 12 Test matches and 15 One Day Internationals in all? Wonder what he tells to our batsmen when even the likes of Pandya are more experienced than him
That's not a yardstick mate to compare or assess a coach. What are the credentials of one the greatest coach "Mr. Ramakanth Achrekar"? He was never a distinguished cricketing career but still is a Dronacharya Awardee. But we all know the magic his wards did. One went on to become one of the greatest cricketer to ever have played the game. The other one equally or may be even more talented lost it somewhere in between. Had Kambli continued in the same vein he started he may have been one of the greatest left hander to have played the game.

I am in no way qualified to say whether Bangar is a good coach or not. But I guess there are much more qualified folks in BCCI to take that call. We are entitled to our opinion though.

Quote:
There was and probably will be just one Rahul Dravid. Respect.
Probably the reasons why he does not want to enter this arena- regionalism, politics and corruption. He is a man who has always kept himself away from all this. Money mindedness, power and authority- these words are not even there in his dictionary. Probably why he softly refused being the batting coach of the Senior cricket team.
Again , we really don't know the reason and these are just speculations. The great man himself has said multiple times that its the younger folks who need all the support greats like him can provide and make them ready for senior international cricket. The ones who have cracked into the senior teams don't need coaching any further but rather need to weed out chinks in their armor, work on other aspects of the game like fitness and mental conditioning.

Does any one here really believe that players like Kohli, Dhoni and Rohit need coaching as such. If that was the case they would never have lasted this long.
Old 27th November 2018, 18:51   #11016
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
I am in no way qualified to say whether Bangar is a good coach or not. But I guess there are much more qualified folks in BCCI to take that call. We are entitled to our opinion though.
Yes, and the above was my opinion as well.

Quote:

The ones who have cracked into the senior teams don't need coaching any further but rather need to weed out chinks in their armor, work on other aspects of the game like fitness and mental conditioning.
So, someone thinks that Sanjay Bangar is the right person for this job. I will still stick to my opinion.

And coming to Dhoni, would like to share a small anecdote that I have played lot of cricket with him during school days. He was senior to me in school, but we stayed in the same colony. Even now, his house is barely half a kilometer from mine.

Thanks.

Last edited by saket77 : 27th November 2018 at 18:54.
Old 27th November 2018, 19:03   #11017
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Does any one here really believe that players like Kohli, Dhoni and Rohit need coaching as such.
Kohli mentioned that the reason for him doing better in England this time was that he changed his hip position while batting. For points as fine as these, I am sure coaching inputs help.
Old 27th November 2018, 19:23   #11018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Kohli mentioned that the reason for him doing better in England this time was that he changed his hip position while batting. For points as fine as these, I am sure coaching inputs help.
That's exactly what I mentioned. Its the finer aspects of the game that needs to evolve based on needs. With so much of technology involved there is a lot of help for coaches now a days unlike in the past. They have so much data available that the coaches now. At least for the senior team.

Its a completely different thought process while coaching age related group. They need a lot of hand holding before they can break into the national teams.

There would be multiple such examples. Bob Woolmer is one more such example. What I meant that one need not be a great player to be a great coach.

Quote:
Yes, and the above was my opinion as well.

So, someone thinks that Sanjay Bangar is the right person for this job. I will still stick to my opinion.
No issue with your opinion sir. But judging a coach based on his playing experience is not the correct yard stick. Its not about Sanjay Bangar but there have been lesser cricketers who have gone on to become great coaches. Bob Woolmer is another example

Quote:
And coming to Dhoni, would like to share a small anecdote that I have played lot of cricket with him during school days. He was senior to me in school, but we stayed in the same colony. Even now, his house is barely half a kilometer from mine.

Thanks.
Great mate! Knowing a person with rags to riches story is wonderful

Last edited by Eddy : 27th November 2018 at 19:34. Reason: Merged
Old 27th November 2018, 20:50   #11019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There would be multiple such examples. Bob Woolmer is one more such example. What I meant that one need not be a great player to be a great coach.

No issue with your opinion sir. But judging a coach based on his playing experience is not the correct yard stick. Its not about Sanjay Bangar but there have been lesser cricketers who have gone on to become great coaches. Bob Woolmer is another example
I concur with this. Not just cricket, this is true of almost all sports. For example, some of the greatest coaches in football, like Sir Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho, Rinus Michels, Bob Paisley, Carlo Ancelotti etc were hardly known for their playing prowess.

A great player becoming a great coach is rather the exception really. Coaching needs very different skillset and mentality. The greatest job of the coach is motivating his players. It's to get that extra 5% that nobody thinks the players are capable of! It's all about people management at the highest level really.
Old 27th November 2018, 21:28   #11020
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
....some of the greatest coaches in football, like Sir Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho, Rinus Michels, Bob Paisley, Carlo Ancelotti etc were hardly known for their playing prowess. .
Your premise is sound but Ancelotti doesn't belong on that list. If anything, he belongs on the exclusive list of people who succeeded as both player and manager.

Paisley could've well been another candidate on said list, but WW2 and its aftermath robbed plenty of footballers of their prime playing years. What could have been.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th November 2018 at 21:37.
Old 27th November 2018, 21:37   #11021
Senior - BHPian

I think cricket needs are differnt compared to football, basketball etc. There are lot of nitty gritties in cricket like stance, head, foot movement etc because its more one to one when batting and bowling.
Old 27th November 2018, 21:54   #11022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Your premise is sound but Ancelotti doesn't belong on that list. If anything, he belongs on the exclusive list of people who succeeded as both player and manager.
Yes you are right. Thanks for the correction. He was a great player and is one of the greatest coach of all time. I guess it was Sacchi I wanted to mention but wrote Ancelotti's name instead. He is more of a contemporary name.

I guess by introducing football in cricket thread, I have digressed from the topic. Now who are the greatest coaches in cricket in the history of the game?
Old 28th November 2018, 14:18   #11023
BHPian

Quote:
Quick question: what credentials does Mr. Ramesh Powar have in being appointed as the coach of the women's team.
I also had a similar thing going through my mind.

Not only because he has not played much international cricket, but I believe Coaches should be able to work upon fitness, game plan and more importantly motivation level of the team. Powar as far as I remember seeing him playing was a very poor fielder, not so great in terms of fitness level and temperamental (read that in one of the Marathi newspapers when he used to play First class cricket for Mumbai).

If we believe the account of what Mithali Raj has said about him then the attitude is just not suitable for being a coach of a national team.

But then we dont know who all had applied for this position, some of the names I read were Sunil Joshi, Ajay Ratra, Vijay Yadav, former women's captain Mamatha Maben, former Kiwi women's cricketer Maria Fahey.

The current administrative set up in BCCI is also not confidence inspiring. Its not about Mithali being dropped from the final XI but more so if that really happened due to reasons other than cricket.
Old 29th November 2018, 08:10   #11024
Senior - BHPian

Barring KL Rahul, a good start by India in the warmup. I'm waiting to see how Rahane will do. This series is a serious test for Rahul and Rahane who are both very talented players, but their consistency is something there's a question mark about.

Agreed that this Australian attack maybe weak, but any positive start is good to build the confidence of our batsmen.
Old 29th November 2018, 09:00   #11025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
You mean Sanjay Bangar, the batting coach of Indian men's cricket team with 12 Test matches and 15 One Day Internationals in all?
I think he meant to say the cheerleader in the Indian team. minus the pom poms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Kohli mentioned that the reason for him doing better in England this time was that he changed his hip position while batting.
Maybe it is because he had to change hip position as he is now past 30. Or because he got married

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Barring KL Rahul, a good start by India in the warmup. I'm waiting to see how Rahane will do. This series is a serious test for Rahul and Rahane who are both very talented players, but their consistency is something there's a question mark about.
Both Rahul and Rahane haven't been shown any confidence by the management. Yes, they get picked in matches but do they have clarity in terms of their role? Rahane used to be a pretty decent one day player but it seems he got bracketed in the Pujara mould too soon. That and the preference given to Rohit in test matches seems to have affected him. Does Rahul know if he is an opener or a middle order bat? He seems to have been playing in positions that are not his preferred ones.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks