Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2018, 16:47   #10126
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

It will be interesting to now see if Rabada gets test bans while people like Marsh get away lightly; I have a feeling that the Australians have worked towards getting the ban on Rabada to eliminate a big threat and if that is the case, it will be a pity to see that succeed.
Old 12th March 2018, 16:52   #10127
Team-BHP Support

How/why is Rabada's behavior any worse than what the others are getting away with chump change fines for? Why is he in line to be banned and the others not? More officiating inconsistency?
Old 12th March 2018, 16:56   #10128
Distinguished - BHPian

with 30 runs needed and 8 wickets left AND ABD playing the way he is, South Africa will win this in all probabilities. But stranger things have happened in Cricket especially with SA cricket.
Old 12th March 2018, 16:56   #10129
Team-BHP Support

No, Rabada has picked up cumulative penalty points. Inspite of an imminent ban, he goes and shoulders a batsman after getting him out.

A ban will be well deserved IMO. Cricket is a non-contact sport and should remain so.
Old 12th March 2018, 16:59   #10130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
No, Rabada has picked up cumulative penalty points. Inspite of an imminent ban, he goes and shoulders a batsman after getting him out.

A ban will be well deserved IMO. Cricket is a non-contact sport and should remain so.
I'm not arguing against Rabada's ban, rather arguing why others are being let off lightly. If 'sporting misconduct' is the measuring stick, I can think of a handful of players who've done enough to get banned for a while.
Old 12th March 2018, 17:04   #10131
Senior - BHPian

I haven't see the incident; some of the reports suggest the contact was not intentional. Why he had to be so close to the batsman at the other end is a question though.
Old 12th March 2018, 17:31   #10132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
How/why is Rabada's behavior any worse than what the others are getting away with chump change fines for? Why is he in line to be banned and the others not? More officiating inconsistency?
Rabada doesn't talk about crossing the line. And the line does not belong to non Australian teams. That is the sole prerogative of Aussie players. It looks like the umpires get convinced with the imaginary line hoopla.
Old 12th March 2018, 17:50   #10133
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rightly said. All those de-merit points have accumulated over a period of time, that send off to Dhawan is what i clearly remember recently. He maybe a world class bowler but if he doesn't keep his behaviour in check he'll keep missing games, these points will also get carried forward to the World Cup i'm told.
Old 12th March 2018, 22:24   #10134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm not arguing against Rabada's ban, rather arguing why others are being let off lightly. If 'sporting misconduct' is the measuring stick, I can think of a handful of players who've done enough to get banned for a while.
"Sporting misconduct" is not something that can be measured easily, hence the inconsistency is understandable as long as it is within reasonable limits. Physical contact, however, is easier to judge and hence the ban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I haven't see the incident; some of the reports suggest the contact was not intentional. Why he had to be so close to the batsman at the other end is a question though.
I saw the incident. Rabada could have chosen to avoid the physical contact but did not do so. It was totally avoidable.

Quote:
Edit: Not sure if anyone is following the WC qualifiers. Afghanistan started as the favorites but lost the first three games and are almost out. Their qualification for the super 6 now rests on whether Nepal can chase 153 against Hong Kong. I hope they can make it to the super 6 and then the main draw.
Nepal won and hence Afghanistan move ahead to the super six stage. They start with zero points and have the task cut out. Let's see if they can qualify.

Last edited by Eddy : 12th March 2018 at 22:28.
Old 12th March 2018, 22:30   #10135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
"Sporting misconduct" is not something that can be measured easily, hence the inconsistency is understandable as long as it is within reasonable limits.
I get your point, but 'reasonable' has the same problem. Where's the line?
Old 13th March 2018, 07:09   #10136
Senior - BHPian

Rabada seems to have accepted that he erred although he says he is contesting the intentional contact bit.

Moving on, the Shami incident is another difficult one. Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law still applies, in theory at least, in India. On the other hand is the "bringing the game into disrepute" thing, that is a quaint claim in the sporting world of today, and this includes the world of cricket.

If Stokes can play for England, so can Shami, performance permitting. Until adjudged guilty in court and after the laid down punishment, if any, is over.

Fortunately, there is no cricket on the near horizon other than IPL.
Old 13th March 2018, 08:45   #10137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Where's the line?
Wherever the Aussies draw it
Old 13th March 2018, 09:15   #10138
Distinguished - BHPian

And these days the new fad is that if an Aussie crosses a line or breaks a rule, it's called Brainfade

Latest such brain fade is reported here.
http://www.timesnownews.com/sports/c...h-video/206282
Old 13th March 2018, 12:43   #10139
Team-BHP Support

I've got to get myself one of those lines.

Then all the defense I'll ever need is "The line must be drawn here! This far, no further!" everytime I mess up.
Old 13th March 2018, 14:46   #10140
Oxy
BHPian

I am peeved at why tried and tested failures like Unadkat are getting selected to play for us. Just why? Can't bowl, can't bat and can't field. What do people see in him that I don't see? He has been sold for big bucks in the IPL auction too.

And Chahal is a mental midget. He looked good against SA because they can't play spin, but the moment Klaasen began going after him, he looked clueless.

Same in the current series. He just does not know what to do when the batsman decides to attempt hitting him out of the park every ball. Also he has dropped many catches in recent times, and cannot hold a bat to save his life.

Kuldeep is much better. Him and Jadeja should be our first choice spinners in LOIs.

Last edited by Oxy : 13th March 2018 at 14:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks