Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2021, 13:00   #12646
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Pitch changed a bit in last hour with some uneven bounce. With a light roller in morning and some sunshine hopefully it settles down for batting..

Gill was brilliant and Rohit looked comfortable till he played that shot.. was hoping one of them makes a big one.. all on these 2 now..

Overall I will still consider this India's day..
Old 8th January 2021, 14:36   #12647
Senior - BHPian

What happened in the last hour. It was as if some one put a plug on the scoring.

Was the bowling that good?
Old 8th January 2021, 16:34   #12648
Team-BHP Support

Today might have been India's day but I don't see us winning this match, perhaps even drawing unless we bat tomorrow and most of Day 4. And hold out on Day 5 in the second innings. Or, a significant amount of play gets washed off.
Old 8th January 2021, 16:55   #12649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Today might have been India's day but I don't see us winning this match, perhaps even drawing unless we bat tomorrow and most of Day 4. And hold out on Day 5 in the second innings. Or, a significant amount of play gets washed off.
Aus- 338 and if India manage to score another 330 runs by EOD tomorrow then there will definitely be a result. The pitch is getting slower and uneven, lot of foot marks to exploit. Hope we have a good century by Pujara and then good half centuries from Rahane, Pant and Jadeja.
Apart from Smith and Marcus, there isn't much of a threat from Aus Batting however on their day, only these two are enough
Old 8th January 2021, 17:31   #12650
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
What happened in the last hour. It was as if some one put a plug on the scoring.

The batsmen changed.
I mean the bowling was good but it was mainly Rahane and Pujara who put brakes. They both have batted 15 and a half overs between them and have scored only 14 runs.
Old 8th January 2021, 19:22   #12651
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post

22 maidens out of the 45 overs we faced.

This is where flexibility in the batting order counts. Should have sent Pant in ahead of Rahane to maintain the momentum.
Old 8th January 2021, 19:31   #12652
Team-BHP Support

I think India played it well. There was no point in risking more wickets tonight so the duo blocked and blocked. They would anyway start afresh tomorrow morning and I guess they will target overs 55 onwards for some run scoring.

The pitch is behaving a little funny and I still think Australia are the favorites.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 19:42   #12653
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I think India played it well. There was no point in risking more wickets tonight so the duo blocked and blocked...
It was rather refreshing to see, to be honest.

Tests can more often be lost with one bad session than won with a good one, and seeing the in pair patiently playing out the day and targeting to go again tomorrow is a rather rare thing in these days of wham-bam cricket.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th January 2021 at 19:44.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 21:35   #12654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
22 maidens out of the 45 overs we faced.

This is where flexibility in the batting order counts. Should have sent Pant in ahead of Rahane to maintain the momentum.
Then the scorecard would have read 120/4. It was quite sensible of Rahane and Pujara. The next 90 overs we bat tomorrow should be scored at a RR of 3.5 with just 3 more wickets down. Some good old test cricket flavour
VWAllstar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 22:04   #12655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Should have sent Pant in ahead of Rahane to maintain the momentum.
Maintain momentum for what? 1st goal is to come close to Australia's score & the run rate doesn't matter. Pant still has the chance to increase the momentum when his number comes.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 22:11   #12656
Senior - BHPian

I believe Rahane and Pujara batted sensibly to make sure one more wicket won't trigger a collapse. If we mange to bat all 3 sessions tomorrow we will surely match Australia's score and then some. Batting 4th will be highly tough so need to make sure we get a decent lead in this innings itself no matter how long it takes. I will take a draw over losing the match due to one stupid bad session like it happened in the first match.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 23:30   #12657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Maintain momentum for what? 1st goal is to come close to Australia's score & the run rate doesn't matter. Pant still has the chance to increase the momentum when his number comes.
Absolutely. Aim should be to tire and frustrate their bowlers without losing a wicket.

Pant and Jadeja too can always up the ante later against a tired bowling attack.

Keeping their batsmen in the field for long hours may also help in bundling them out faster in their second innings on a wearing pitch, by our spinners.
Old 9th January 2021, 00:31   #12658
Senior - BHPian

India played well overall. Gill should have continued on to get a century, but the youngster looks promising for a long career ahead.

ChePu & Rahane held the ship well. They should rotate strike regularly against Lyon on day 3. India should at least add 200 more runs without losing a wicket. I'm hoping some rearguard action from Pant & Jadeja can get India to at least 450.
Old 9th January 2021, 05:27   #12659
Senior - BHPian

I do get the importance of playing sensibly. But playing sensibly does not only mean dropping your anchors. The problem with an ultra defensive approach is that after all this blocking if you end up losing your wicket. You are not any better specially if both ends block.

I hope Rahane and Pujara will make most of this and we see them scoring big on third day.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 06:56   #12660
Senior - BHPian

I hope ChePu & Pant can bat this whole day. Hanuma Vihari was disappointing. Barring a few circumstances, run-outs are stupid in Test cricket, run-outs, when it is your call, is another level.

Wild Idea: Why not drop Vihari for the 4th Test and replace him with Saha? Make Saha take the gloves.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th January 2021 at 09:57. Reason: Typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks