Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2021, 11:06   #12691
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
With a fourth innings target of 250+, I can't remember an instance of a test match being saved with a draw in the last 5-7 years, it's either a predictable loss or a rare victory with heroic batting (like the one by Ben Stokes and one by Jason Holder).

We need to create history by batting it out for a draw which is highly unlikely, don't see it happening.

Edit:Target 407 for an India win!!
How can you forget this (https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...full-scorecard) match?
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 11:18   #12692
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Thanks for that, I was looking for an example to get some hope
But this one ended with a win for Sri Lanka (like the ones England won with Ben Stokes and west indies with Jason Holder).

I'm still looking for an example from the last 5-7 years when a match was saved with a Draw! A fighting draw has become almost non-existent these days.

Last edited by NPV : 10th January 2021 at 11:32.
Old 10th January 2021, 11:21   #12693
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that, I was looking for an example to get some hope such matches are extremely rare in the last few years.
I still think, this was one of the greatest upset in the test history!
So, whenever i am looking for an example of 'winning against odds' situation, this is the match that comes to my mind first
Old 10th January 2021, 11:34   #12694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that, I was looking for an example to get some hope
Honestly, if Rohit is there lunch on day 5 with the score around 2/200, India should go for glory. If we can't hit the glory, might as well die trying.

Australia will start on the back-foot in the 4th test knowing that the Indian team is going to come hard at them.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 10th January 2021 at 11:37.
Old 10th January 2021, 11:49   #12695
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Honestly, if Rohit is there lunch on day 5 with the score around 2/200, India should go for glory. If we can't hit the glory, might as well die trying.
While the odds are too heavily stacked against an India win, I'd consider it 'glory' if they can pull off a draw in these circumstances and that's why I was saying that in the 'modern' game of test cricket a fighting draw is almost non-existent though there may be draws due to dead pitches and weather going bad.

Last edited by NPV : 10th January 2021 at 12:00.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 12:36   #12696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was saying that in the 'modern' game of test cricket
a fighting draw is almost non-existent..
Due to the technique of batsmen which are more suited for ODI and T20, the hard fought draw is nonexistent. The last memorable draw I remember was Roston Chase denying India a victory with his 137 n.o. at Kingston in 2016. The best I've seen is Faf du Plessis and ABd playing it out at Adelaide in 2012. Both Chase & Faf really were extremely good test batsmen before modifying their game for ODIs and T20s.

I used the word "glory" for victory as it seems more likely that a team will back their players to go for victory if a platform in laid. Either they win or they fail - I guess the draw is gone out of the equation. There aren't too many players like Kallis, Dravid, Chanderpaul, Waugh, or VVS.

EDIT: As much as I hate to admit it - game gone, series gone. 3-1 AUS.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 10th January 2021 at 12:51.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 12:39   #12697
Team-BHP Support

I have to admit, I am pleasantly surprised by the scorecard at stumps on day 4.

I had assumed the worst - India 6 down with a deficit of 350 runs.

Everything lines in the hands of Pujara and Rahane now. If they can somehow survive the first two sessions on day 5, we are in with a chance of drawing or maybe even winning the match. Although I may be getting a bit ahead of myself because winning it from here would mean creating test match history, and the Indian team has rarely created test match history.
Old 10th January 2021, 12:45   #12698
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Taking the Match into the 5th day itself calls for a celebration! Pant I hear will only bat if needed as he's still in pain & Jadeja I highly doubt will turn up since his thumb is dislocated/fractured(?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
If India decides one spinner is enough for the next test
Gabba has traditionally aided the seamers. Highly unlikely 2 spinners will play. We can't play 5 bowlers now since none of them can bat & all are walking wickets!
Old 10th January 2021, 12:55   #12699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Although I may be getting a bit ahead of myself because winning it from here would mean creating test match history, and the Indian team has rarely created test match history.
Winning the match is difficult to be honest. However, this is the stage where Pujara can drop his anchor and frustrate the Australian Bowlers. There could be some hope of wining if Rohit Sharma had stayed on with Pant and Jadeja fully fit to bat. From here, we must play session by session and keep batting without looking at the scorecard.
Old 10th January 2021, 13:00   #12700
Senior - BHPian

This is what Faf and De Villiers did to us back in 2013. Can we expect Rahane and Pujara to do this tomorrow?

One of them goes, and we end the innings in the next 20 odd overs.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...-cricket-score
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 13:13   #12701
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
This is what Faf and De Villiers did to us back in 2013. Can we expect Rahane and Pujara to do this tomorrow?
Very good example, they even came so close to winning! I could not recall this match though.
Answer to your question if they "can" do it to save the match is yes, but "will" they ? I don't think so, but would love to be proved wrong
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 13:46   #12702
Senior - BHPian

Pujara needs to score runs. His presence if it doesnt result in any runs is not going to help us win. Maybe will help a draw but then we need two of him It might be helping to retain his place and nothing else.

His approach doesnt generate any encouragement or enthusiasm to others batting with him.

Didn't we expect more from Rohit ? The pitch is not that dangerous to batting.

Last edited by srishiva : 10th January 2021 at 13:48.
Old 10th January 2021, 16:51   #12703
BHPian

Racial abuse has no place in any walk of life, leave alone cricket, and the Australian crowds and dare I say the Australian media and Australian cricket team have been guilty of it many many times.

Sydney should be banned as an international venue if this continues.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/a...-india-1247339

Quote:
Ashwin said he was disappointed no one in the stands called out bad behaviour of fellow spectators. "Personally I think Adelaide and Melbourne weren't as bad," he said. "But this has been a continuous thing at Sydney. I have experienced it as well. They do tend to get nasty. I don't know why and for what reason.
Old 10th January 2021, 16:58   #12704
Senior - BHPian

Fully agree with you Searacer.

I did see that the trouble makers were evacuated by the police, but they waited till our players raised their hands and pointed to that gang.

CA issued an apology note. But I guess that’s not enough.

Aside - what’s with Steve Smith and his antics in this match. Every ball that troubled him made him do some antics with his hands. I found it more amusing that irritating.
Old 10th January 2021, 17:31   #12705
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Winning the match is difficult to be honest. However, this is the stage where Pujara can drop his anchor and frustrate the Australian Bowlers. There could be some hope of wining if Rohit Sharma had stayed on with Pant and Jadeja fully fit to bat. From here, we must play session by session and keep batting without looking at the scorecard.
I agree. Realistically, victory is probably out of the question and the only outcomes would be either a draw or a loss for India.

However, the only way we can possibly draw the match from the position we are in, is if we demonstrate the intent to go for the 309 run target and display positivity. Of course, digging in is the obvious course of action but lack of intent like inability to rotate strike / putting away the bad balls will most certainly rule out the prospects of a draw.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks