Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2019, 14:43   #11866
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Cricket Thread

Navdeep Saini yes.

Mohd Siraj and Khaleel Ahmed are overrated. Not long termers IMO.

I hope the Under 19 stars recover from their injuries and start playing domestic matches soon.
Old 18th September 2019, 16:21   #11867
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Navdeep Saini yes.

I hope the Under 19 stars recover from their injuries and start playing domestic matches soon.
Siraj has been ordinary in his stint so far in the shorter formats but his 4 day performances are quite impressive.
Old 18th September 2019, 16:41   #11868
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That Nagarkoti guy hasn't played cricket since almost 2yrs now. Something seems to be seriously wrong! Not too sure of the other guy.
Old 18th September 2019, 17:58   #11869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Navdeep Saini yes.

Seconded.
Instead I would like to see chahar being tried, especially in places like NZ and England which assist his kind of swing bowling.
I hope it doesnt rain tonight and we get a full match.
Old 18th September 2019, 18:08   #11870
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I hope it doesnt rain tonight and we get a full match.
Harsha Bhogle tweeted about it being a beautiful day for cricket, but that was earlier in the day.
Old 22nd September 2019, 20:08   #11871
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This Rishab Pant has zero intelligence on the cricket field. Absolutely none.
The noose is tightening around his neck. Just not good enough to be consistent.
Old 22nd September 2019, 20:21   #11872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The noose is tightening around his neck. Just not good enough to be consistent.
I guess it's high time he gets dropped and someone like Ishan kishan is given a shot. Pant needs another couple of years of maturity to understand how to play at international level.

Btw, the biggest difference between him and MSD is very simple. Both have the shots and Pant maybe has more but MSD was very intelligent when to attack and how to pace his innings when he started playing for India.

Last edited by harry10 : 22nd September 2019 at 20:23.
Old 22nd September 2019, 20:26   #11873
Team-BHP Support

Pant should be dropped either from T20 or one days at least. If it happens in ODIs, I think Sanju Samson may be higher in the pecking order that Kishan.

Ishan Kishan is as much a leg side heaver as Pant is.
Old 23rd September 2019, 12:36   #11874
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Over-expect & under-deliver, that's Pant for you! Was a bit of a humiliation yesterday.

I don't mind the experimentation but team seems over-confident, its obvious we have a lot of work to do in this T20 format. I think its just a matter of time before Kul-Cha make a comeback into the T20 format, perhaps for the NZ tour next year.
Old 25th September 2019, 01:53   #11875
Senior - BHPian

I think most people are too hard on Pant. Give that guy a break, he's barely 22 years old. He can win you games like no one else, but there are some days he'll fail miserably and the mode of dismissal will be ugly. Playing in the middle order will teach him to add a gear and rotate strike.

Like Sehwag, he can be a great match winner for India if he continues playing the way he is. Luckily, he's not the only finisher- we have Pandya too. If one of them fires every match, I think we're sorted. Pant should bat # 5 or # 6. #4 is too early for him if the score is 2/20 in 6 overs. He can be used at #4 if the score is 2/220 at the 39th over in a ODI.

Asking him to play responsibly is like asking Brett Lee to maximize swing and bowl at 125 kmph.
Old 25th September 2019, 07:37   #11876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I think most people are too hard on Pant. Give that guy a break, he's barely 22 years old. He can win you games like no one else, but there are some days he'll fail miserably and the mode of dismissal will be ugly. Playing in the middle order will teach him to add a gear and rotate strike.
He has been given enough opportunities and it is high time the board now tries Sanju Samson in the ODIs and T20s. He hasn't don't much wrong in the domestic circuit as well as IPL.

It is good to have confidence in Pant but at the same time there need to be some time frame as well. Especially with someone who has been given a responsibility to bat at #4. These opportunities to Pant are hampering careers of much more able players like Shreyas Iyer, Samson and to an extent Saha (although at his end)
Old 25th September 2019, 09:04   #11877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pant should be dropped either from T20 or one days at least. If it happens in ODIs, I think Sanju Samson may be higher in the pecking order that Kishan.

Ishan Kishan is as much a leg side heaver as Pant is.
Nope. Samson stats are worse than Pant in all formats. He is more inconsistent and plays one good innings once in a blue moon. I think axing of Pant now depends how he performs in tests. If he scores he will prevail otherwise Kishan may get a look in.
Old 25th September 2019, 09:16   #11878
Senior - BHPian

Axe Pant? Is he even properly in the team? Poor chap, he is fixing his keeping and now he has to worry about his batting.

The guy who must be axed is the one who fixed No.4 for Pant.
Quote:
Btw, the biggest difference between him and MSD is very simple. Both have the shots and Pant maybe has more but MSD was very intelligent when to attack and how to pace his innings when he started playing for India.
Comparison of Dhoni with any other cricketer in history (including Bradman, Tendulkar) is unfair. Possibly Gilchrist comes close but not very much. Dhoni is captain, wicket-keeper & batsman. No other cricketer has done all 3 of these effectively together for a long duration. And he has done it in all 3 formats of the game.

Last edited by msdivy : 25th September 2019 at 09:19.
Old 25th September 2019, 09:26   #11879
BHPian

Quote:
Nope. Samson stats are worse than Pant in all formats. He is more inconsistent and plays one good innings once in a blue moon. I think axing of Pant now depends how he performs in tests. If he scores he will prevail otherwise Kishan may get a look in.
Very harsh to call someone inconsistent when he has not been given good number of opportunities to prove himself. He had been in top form in IPL, although that is not the rating parameter per say but he has got just handful of games when pant has got quite a few series now.

Look at how Rohit Sharma was groomed, an axe made him more sincere and he came back with a better mindset. If you let Pant have his back covered all the time then he is going to slip into a comfort zone soon.

MSK Prasad is the one who need to be dropped forever, weird decision and selections. He has no clarity especially when the biggest tournament was around.
Old 25th September 2019, 10:47   #11880
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Haven't looked at the stats but have seen how Ishan Kishan bats. IMO, he is worse than Pant with a bat in hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Comparison of Dhoni with any other cricketer in history (including Bradman, Tendulkar) is unfair. Possibly Gilchrist comes close but not very much. Dhoni is captain, wicket-keeper & batsman. No other cricketer has done all 3 of these effectively together for a long duration. And he has done it in all 3 formats of the game.
Totally agree. Trying to find another MSD is foolhardy. No one even comes close to what he has done over the years. One part of me still wants him to come back and do it one more time, but I don't see that happening.

Quote:
MSK Prasad is the one who need to be dropped forever, weird decision and selections. He has no clarity especially when the biggest tournament was around.
Yup. MSK is a terrible selection chief. They got off easy by sacking Bangar. And I hope Rathour is better at coaching than he was at playing at deliveries on his off stump.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks