Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2021, 23:39   #13351
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
I completely agree with what Kohli said ( and props to him for saying that given most captains don't) that Thakur should have been the MoM and Bhuvi the MoS. Makes 0 sense to give it to Curran when even Thakur's batting was more of a gamechanger let alone his 4 wickets.
Kohli and guts go together. He says and does stuff most politically correct captains won't. We can always argue about his team selections or on field Captaincy but he is a true blue team man and always stands with his mates.

Curran played very well but Thakur's 21 ball 30 and 4 important wickets were a better contribution which lead to a win. Same goes for bhuvi. A series where pitch was a road and making 300 runs were a joke with bowlers getting smashed all over he picked wickets and turned up with less than 6 economy in all matches. He should have been the MOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I don't see anything lucky with that run out, it was great work by Hardik and Pant.

Overall, yes we were lucky that despite crucial dropped catches we ended up on the winning side. And Curran's judgment (run out of Wood) and strategy in trying to singlehandedly win with boundaries and sixes alone also backfired. I'm sure there were more than 10 singles that he simply refused to take!
That's a catch 22 situation where the better batsman is always in a dilemma. If he takes singles and last wickets fall then he will be blamed why he rotated strike when he knew the no. 10 and 11 can't bat well. If he denies singles he has to aim only for boundaries thus taking risk on every delivery and if he fails then he will be blamed for denying singles. So, there is never a perfect scenario. Personally I will deny single too and try to win it myself as better batsman has better chance of winning it always. Something like Stokes did at headingly against Australia.
Attached Thumbnails
The Cricket Thread-screenshot_20210329234835_reddit.jpg  

Last edited by harry10 : 29th March 2021 at 23:48.
harry10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 03:00   #13352
BHPian

It’s about time India start looking at alternatives to our main bowling lineup. Bhumra, Bhuvi, Shami are the front line bowlers but we are relying heavily and also should consider these guy’s may not be fit in another 2-3 years.

In the new line up Siraj has been average(no doubt he played match winning innings in Australia) but as a bowler he isn’t reliable.

Navdeep Saini again just going for pace without line and length.

Prashid also went for a lot of runs, reminds me of Varun Aron who simply ran to the pitch and bowled fast without much line and length.

Natrajan is good for T20, he isn’t really a ODI or a Test bowler.

The problem with Indian lineup is also that none of the batsman roll their arm, something like Sachin, Sehwag use to do, even if it was 4-5 overs between the two was really helpful.

Above views of bowlers are my personal views and not to disregard their talent. Just commenting my views on what India is missing in long run.
firstdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 10:06   #13353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdrive View Post
The problem with Indian lineup is also that none of the batsman roll their arm, something like Sachin, Sehwag use to do, even if it was 4-5 overs between the two was really helpful.
None of them do? or the think tank don't get the idea to use them?

IIRC Rohit had claimed a hat-trick in IPL when he played for Deccan Chargers under the captaincy of Gilchrist.

Hardik did not bowl a single over in the second ODI when the bowlers were hammered (supposedly for workload management) . Yet 2 days later he bowled a significant number of overs.

Noticed that this is where other teams differ in their approach. It just may lull the batsmen into complacency while facing a part timer.

In CWC 2019, Aaron Finch rolled his arm over against Pak and got a breakthrough in a partnership which the regular bowlers did not manage. Also Liam Livingstone getting KL Rahul in the recent ODI.
Old 30th March 2021, 10:24   #13354
KPR
BANNED

What next? IPL? Let's shift to that thread.
KPR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 10:49   #13355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdrive View Post
Bhumra, Bhuvi, Shami are the front line bowlers but we are relying heavily and also should consider these guy’s may not be fit in another 2-3 years.
Bumrah: 67 ODIs, 27y
Shami: 79 ODIs, 30y
Bhuvi: 117 ODIs, 31y
Each of them can play at least till 35, if they maintain their line & length.
Quote:
In the new line up Siraj has been average(no doubt he played match winning innings in Australia) but as a bowler he isn’t reliable.

Navdeep Saini again just going for pace without line and length.

Prashid also went for a lot of runs, reminds me of Varun Aron who simply ran to the pitch and bowled fast without much line and length.

Natrajan is good for T20, he isn’t really a ODI or a Test bowler.
Siraj: 1 ODI, 27y
Saini: 7 ODIs, 28y
Prasidh: 3 ODIs, 25y
Natarajan: 2 ODIs, 29y

Isn't it too early to write off these guys in ODIs? Let's see where they stand after 5 years.

Last edited by msdivy : 30th March 2021 at 11:16.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 12:15   #13356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
I believe Prasidh Krishna deserved the man of the match award. Although he went for plenty in his first spell, his crucial blows later brought India back in the game. I never understand, in cricket why are bowlers sidelined mostly as far as man of the match awards are concerned. 4 wickets in an ODI is no lesser feat than a batsman scoring a 100!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
I completely agree with what Kohli said ( and props to him for saying that given most captains don't) that Thakur should have been the MoM and Bhuvi the MoS. Makes 0 sense to give it to Curran when even Thakur's batting was more of a gamechanger let alone his 4 wickets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Curran played very well but Thakur's 21 ball 30 and 4 important wickets were a better contribution which lead to a win. Same goes for bhuvi. A series where pitch was a road and making 300 runs were a joke with bowlers getting smashed all over he picked wickets and turned up with less than 6 economy in all matches. He should have been the MOS.
This is exactly what I meant in my earlier post. Bowlers are generally overlooked as far as these awards go. Even going by the thumb rule of 20/25 runs = 1 wicket (which I don't endorse much), Shardul deserved the MOM hands down. Even in the first T20i between NZ and Bangladesh, a stellar bowling performance from Ish Sodhi (4-0-28-4) was overlooked and MOM was awarded to Devon Conway for his 92 not out. Yes, 92 in a T20i is no mean feat, but IMO 4 wickets at 7 RPO and helping the side win is a greater achievement on a batting friendly track.
Old 30th March 2021, 12:52   #13357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Each of them can play at least till 35, if they maintain their line & length.

Isn't it too early to write off these guys in ODIs? Let's see where they stand after 5 years.
1) Yes they can play till 35 but with age and injuries I don’t think we will consistently get more than 3 years of cricket from them, given that IPL is always prioritised by everyone.

2) Not riding these youngsters off but thinking about alternatives that we should explore, all these bowlers have been mostly IPL hits, thinking about ODI we need to start exploring now. After Bhuvi we haven’t seen a good swing bowler a position really important to fill
Old 30th March 2021, 13:05   #13358
BHPian

Anyone here watched the series on Hotstar? I recently cut the cord to DTH for one of my TVs and got the Hotstar VIP subscription. I use the Fire stick. But my opinion is, the quality is inferior to what you see on DTH. In addition to resolution which is 720p, the ball trajectory too wasn't always clear. Sometimes it used to miss frames also. No such problems on while streaming on mobile. Anyone else has such experience?
shipnil is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 13:29   #13359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Anyone here watched the series on Hotstar? I recently cut the cord to DTH for one of my TVs and got the Hotstar VIP subscription. I use the Fire stick. But my opinion is, the quality is inferior to what you see on DTH. In addition to resolution which is 720p, the ball trajectory too wasn't always clear. Sometimes it used to miss frames also. No such problems on while streaming on mobile. Anyone else has such experience?
Yes I have been watching on hotstar casting it to tv since a couple of years . Not as seamless as dth.

Australia series used SonyLIV, even worse.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 14:14   #13360
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Works fine on both my TVs. One Android and one FireTV.
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 14:37   #13361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Works fine on both my TVs. One Android and one FireTV.
Do you have the VIP plan or Premium?
Old 30th March 2021, 14:51   #13362
BHPian

Quote:
I also cut the cord about 3 months back and use Hotstar VIP + Mi Box 4k. No quality issues, in fact quality is better than Videocon D2H.

I specifically opted for the 4K model so as to have over-capacity, just in case.
Old 30th March 2021, 15:26   #13363
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do you have the VIP plan or Premium?
I have a premium plan.
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 09:19   #13364
Senior - BHPian

"Never take anything for granted" #FakharZamanRunOut. I think there was nothing unfair/against the spirit of the game in that incident.

Reminds of the Ian Bell Incident, although the parties involved are different.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 13:53   #13365
Senior - BHPian

I saw the video after your comment here Landcruiser.

I don’t see anything amiss in that Quinton DeKock did. And it was a direct hit from the deep as well.

And as a batsman, Fakhar lost focus, his primary job then was to make it to the crease, which he didn’t.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks