Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2022, 23:43   #14746
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Cricket Thread

I still believe that Pujara still has something to offer to the side, unless Vihari can emulate him and Dravid (to whatever extent). Rahane surely has to go, even if he scores a 40-50 in this innings.
Old 5th January 2022, 11:13   #14747
Senior - BHPian

What a fantastic moment for Bangladesh cricket. Beating World Champions at their home against all odds is absolutely brilliant. No one saw it coming and that's what makes it more compelling!

I like the approach by Pujara yesterday. Ashwin showed in first innings blocking won't help on this pitch and if you don't counterattack you will get out sooner than later. I know we all want Rahane to be dropped but we do need a good innings from him today to give a total of 200+ for SA to chase. It's also time for second innings Pant to play his one crucial knock of series.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 11:29   #14748
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
What a fantastic moment for Bangladesh cricket. Beating World Champions at their home against all odds is absolutely brilliant. No one saw it coming and that's what makes it more compelling!
Wow, I just caught up with the scorecard and despite not having any centurion, Bangladesh managed a first innings lead of 100+, despite New Zealand getting a decent 328 total in their first inning!
New Zealand are weak and play differently when Williamson isn't available.

**In the India-South Africa game - Rahane needs to produce an innings like the 140 odd he got in Australia.

Last edited by NPV : 5th January 2022 at 11:30.
Old 5th January 2022, 11:38   #14749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Wow, I just caught up with the scorecard and despite not having any centurion, Bangladesh managed a first innings lead of 100+, despite New Zealand getting a decent 328 total in their first inning!
New Zealand are weak and play differently when Williamson isn't available.

**In the India-South Africa game - Rahane needs to produce an innings like the 140 odd he got in Australia.
I still believe our team is much much better than NZ. We got a raw deal in WTC final as we didn't get ideal preparation, lost the toss and conditions were completely against us. That's why I don't care about WTC anymore. Their system of % calculation is absolutely rubbish + no guidelines for how many home and away you should play. Then only 1 match to decide a winner. Absolutely stupid and ICC needs to rectify this otherwise interest in WTC will go away.
Old 5th January 2022, 12:35   #14750
Senior - BHPian

Hats off to Bangladesh. Excellent win, right at the backyard of NZ.

33 losses across all formats at NZ makes it very sweet for Bangladesh. Ther first ever win in NZ across any format.

Meanwhile, we are witnessing a spirited battle displayed by both teams at South Africa. A great test match in progress with a very defining 3rd day coming up in an hour.

And what do I say of the Ashes! For all the hype and drama, it’s turning out to be a boring one. Damp squib!

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 5th January 2022 at 12:47.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 14:04   #14751
Distinguished - BHPian

After years of hearing the word "intent" at press conferences, I finally understand what it means watching Rahane and Pujara bat now!

What a selection headache this is going to be for the next match now. But it's one of those "good problems to have" I guess.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 14:35   #14752
Senior - BHPian

Wow!!! Pujara and Rahane are on fire today. Scoring at 5+ RPO, that’s so unlike them. They are well aware this is the do-or-die match for them and are making a solid case for themselves now. If we are able to set a 250+ target, this will be India’s match to loose

Edit: Oops, that’s the end of Rahane. Hope we don’t see a flurry of wickets and can score another 120-130 runs to get that decent lead

Last edited by SoumenD : 5th January 2022 at 14:45.
Old 5th January 2022, 15:04   #14753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Wow!!! Pujara and Rahane are on fire today. Scoring at 5+ RPO, that’s so unlike them. They are well aware this is the do-or-die match for them and are making a solid case for themselves now. If we are able to set a 250+ target, this will be India’s match to loose

Edit: Oops, that’s the end of Rahane. Hope we don’t see a flurry of wickets and can score another 120-130 runs to get that decent lead
^^^^
Seriously, you should stop posting and jinxing India batters now
Old 5th January 2022, 15:35   #14754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
^^^^
Seriously, you should stop posting and jinxing India batters now
Heard of commentator’s curse? This seems to be ‘poster’s curse’. Anyways as I was fearing, flurry of wickets. Hope lord Thakur can do some magic with the bat as well.

No more posts till end of match
Old 5th January 2022, 15:54   #14755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redCherry View Post
1. Make Pant realize he's not playing T20 game
That was my own quote in Aug-21.
Looks like no one did that, neither Kohli nor Shastri .
Hope at least Dravid does that and has a hard talk with him.

Captain & Coach should make him realize he was batting at No. 6, not at 8, with India still in dire straits when he went to bat with just about 140+ lead and with the match & series in the line, and what Pant does is try a wild slog and put the team further more into trouble.
He's batting that way, way too often in tests

I know there would be lot of opinions like 'That's his natural game' or 'he won us test matches abroad' and all that.
But I don't think anyone can justify his shot in today's innings, considering the position the team was in when he got out.
redCherry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 16:26   #14756
Distinguished - BHPian

175 lead. Do you guys think 200 will be enough? With 200 I think we'll need to bowl really, really well to win, especially with Siraj not fully capable. 230 should be a close contest. 250 should be enough. Will we get there? I think we can, but who knows.
Old 5th January 2022, 18:34   #14757
Distinguished - BHPian

240 to win...34-0...7 sessions to go...I think SA will take this match mking the 3rd match the series decider. Although our bowling is wonderful i think 240 is slightly below par. If Pant had not thrown it away, we'd have been in a lot better situation than we are in now.
Old 5th January 2022, 19:00   #14758
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Obviously no chance of a draw

A fourth innings target of 250+ would have been very tough, but with 240, South Africa do have a chance if they play as good as their first inning, they will be within striking distance then.

South Africa 57/1 now with Markram out to Shardul Thakur.
Old 5th January 2022, 19:37   #14759
Senior - BHPian

Have faith people. We can do it. Just leaving this screenshot of wanderers test match during last tour here. SA were chasing 241

The Cricket Thread-img20220105wa0008.jpg
Old 5th January 2022, 20:16   #14760
BHPian

Gavaskar too has same opinion about Pant's batting today

Sunil Gavaskar Slams Rishabh Pant: 'Has To Be Some Sense Of Responsibility'

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks