Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2022, 21:18   #14731
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Thank God that Ravi Shastri is not the coach. If Ravi Shastri had been the coach and if he had selected Pujara/Rahane in the team he would have got a blasting from Bhpians.

Since Dravid is the coach he is being treated with kid gloves by Bhpians
searacer932 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 09:24   #14732
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Since Dravid is the coach he is being treated with kid gloves by Bhpians
Fair point, fair point - I never liked Shastri as a coach and I'm a huge Dravid fan, it's good to be aware of one's biases. And even as a big Pujara fan, I think the time has come to drop both him and Rahane.
Old 4th January 2022, 09:38   #14733
Senior - BHPian

I think Rahane needs to be dropped immediately. Pujara can have one or two test matches more because he has been such an impactful player overseas. I did not find him terribly out of form when compared to Rahane. It looked to me as if he was getting out to good balls.

Kohli on the other hand looks to be in form every time he bats. But he seems to be lacking discipline and getting out trying to find fours or defending balls well outside off stump. He just needs to take a leaf out of Rahul's book to get back to his old ways.

Rahul's newfound success in test cricket is mainly because of his concentration in leaving balls. It is great to see such a brilliant stroke maker getting into a shell, leaving everything, and then playing his natural shots after 30 overs. Having one opener across all three formats is a special luxury very few teams have.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 09:46   #14734
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I cannot believe Shreyas Iyer is warming the bench after scoring a century the last time he played. I mean c'mon, expected better from Dravid.
Apparently Shreyas was going to play instead of Rahane, but was down with an upset tummy, tough luck Rahane is indeed extremely lucky and if he gets a 50+ in second innings he will stick on for few more tests!

Last edited by NPV : 4th January 2022 at 09:49.
Old 4th January 2022, 11:41   #14735
Distinguished - BHPian

Since this is the "Cricket" thread and not just the "Indian Cricket" thread , Bangladesh poised for a historic test win in NZ! Hope they wrap things up on the final day for a well-deserved win.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 12:16   #14736
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Apparently Shreyas was going to play instead of Rahane, but was down with an upset tummy,
Must be in place of Kohli who had back spasm!
With regard to Pujara & Rahane's sacking, its all about timing. They have to be dropped at the right time! Else Rahane has this habit of playing these cute innings & holding onto his place for 3 more games.

Coming back to the match, I feel India are in some trouble. When you are bowled out on Day 1 you're always on the back foot, hopefully the pitch doesn't flat out & SA don't make too many. Match should be a lot closer than the 1st Test I think.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 13:06   #14737
Senior - BHPian

I know there is disappointment, anguish and what not at India's batting performance. I think with 200 onboard, we can put some pressure on the South Africans who do not really have a Rockstar batting line up.

For some inspiration, I would just leave this pic here, posted by Cricinfo on their Facebook handle

The Cricket Thread-cricinfo.jpg

Last edited by vibbs : 4th January 2022 at 13:08.
Old 4th January 2022, 15:34   #14738
Senior - BHPian

Lord Shardul on fire today.

I’m realising that I have started to enjoy watching our pace battery bowl more than watching our batting. There were days when the TV was switched off when Sachin was getting out. So much joy to see our bowlers making them jump around at the crease.
Old 4th January 2022, 15:44   #14739
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Just when I thought South Africa were playing really well at 88/1, Thakur got the important breakthrough of Elgar and then followed up with 2 more wickets those of Peterson who was playing well and then Van Der Dussen at the stroke of lunch. At lunch South Africa are 102/4.

Thakur as usual is underrated and just when it seems like he won't do much, he ends up taking wickets!

Earlier, Dussen was given caught behind but reviewed and the decision was overturned. Of course the ball edged the top of the pad not the bat but Pant hadn't even taken a clean catch, it was a half volley!

Last edited by NPV : 4th January 2022 at 15:46.
Old 4th January 2022, 18:26   #14740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Does anyone know Shardul Thakur is also in the team !
I think he more than answered your question.
Most of us debating on this thread are arm-chair experts. Some observations on Thakur from my side:

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Sure, he [Thakur] looks very pedestrian and non-threatening. Neither does he sharp accuracy, express pace or bounce. But I guess there are subtle and clever variations hidden behind those innocuous looking deliveries. His FC record is very good, if a bit expensive. (=Run leaking wicket taker)

I'm a keyboard warriror here. He may play for a long time, especially when a pace bowling all-rounder (4th pacer) is required OR opposition team analysts may decode his bowling and he may become a forgotten commodity.
landcruiser123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 20:39   #14741
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

India 50/2 in the second innings and ironically our fate in this match now largely depends on the 2 players whose blood everyone is baying for Even Gavaskar thinks they may be playing for their careers with this one innings, but who knows ?
Old 4th January 2022, 20:58   #14742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
India 50/2 in the second innings and ironically our fate in this match now largely depends on the 2 players whose blood everyone is baying for Even Gavaskar thinks they may be playing for their careers with this one innings, but who knows ?
Isnt it right that Indian Cricket well wishers are behind 'Purane' to either perform or perish?
Attached Thumbnails
The Cricket Thread-screenshot_20220104204524_twitter.jpg  

VWAllstar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 21:18   #14743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post

For some inspiration, I would just leave this pic here, posted by Cricinfo on their Facebook handle

Attachment 2253942
Well well. Let's see what history tells us about the second day.

Back in 2018, SA ended their first innings with a lead of 7 runs. India ended the second day at 49/1 in 17 overs. ie 42 runs ahead.

This time we have played 20 overs and are ahead by 58 run for the loss of 2 wickets! Adding a section of Cricinfo commentry for fun

The Cricket Thread-screenshot_20220104233738__01.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Isnt it right that Indian Cricket well wishers are behind 'Purane' to either perform or perish?
At the same time, Pujara is the 5th highest run scorer in 2021

Last edited by vibbs : 4th January 2022 at 21:20.
Old 4th January 2022, 21:49   #14744
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, couldn't resist.

The Cricket Thread-img20220104wa0006.jpg

Courtesy WhatsApp (what else)?
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 23:15   #14745
Senior - BHPian

Good to see Pujara taking the bull by the horns. At least try something different when things don't work out for you.

ChePu was getting into a shell playing too many deliveries and not scoring many runs.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks