Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2021, 12:04   #14581
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
First one should go is Rahane. Pujji atleast kills balls in so many matches taking the new ball shine away.
As much as I agree with Rahane needs to go, he has been named the vice-captain for the second test and he isn’t going anywhere (unfortunately).
Old 28th November 2021, 12:17   #14582
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

India struggling on 92/5 in the second innings, unless Shreyas Iyer, Ashwin and rest of the tail get another 100+ runs, this could very well end in a defeat for India.
Old 28th November 2021, 12:38   #14583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
As much as I agree with Rahane needs to go, he has been named the vice-captain for the second test and he isn’t going anywhere (unfortunately).
As Indian Cricket Fans, we must boycott the match for 'favouratism' This is detrimental to Indian cricket. Many Karun Nairs' are going to keep playing and performing in the domestic circuit with no opportunities at the International Level.

I dont see why Rahane cannot go back to Ranji, perform there and make his way back into the playing XI. This will make him a better player, batter and help keep his internatoonal career on track.

P.S: I refer to Karun Nair only because he was replaced with Rahane. He stands for all thosè who have been deprived of opportunities to play in the middle order - S Iyer, Mandeep Singh, M Vohra, S Jackson, Taruwar Kohli, R Dalal and so many more.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 13:25   #14584
Senior - BHPian

What a disgrace our players have become. They need favourable pitch to win matches. BCCI should immediately ban players to do any kind of advertisement for additional income till they are playing for national team. The passion to play is missing after IPL has started.
Old 28th November 2021, 13:39   #14585
BHPian

Those who perform only in IPL can keep performing in IPL. No place for them in the national test team. Selection for the test team should ideally be based solely on red ball form. If that is not possible for regulars, then 50 over form can be given preference. T20 form can be safely ignored because in my view, it is a totally different sport compared to Test Cricket.

And what's with only middle order batsmen being test captain / vice captain? Why not bowlers?

Jadeja should be captaining the team in Kohli's absence. Or even Ashwin! Why not Ishant? Those are the senior stalwarts in the current team. More indispensable assets than Mr.Rahane.
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 18:39   #14586
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
India has won test match with 10 players and 1 dummy in Rahane. Lord Shardul and Siraj are find of the year. Rahane will feature not only in next match but next series as well. What a lucky man he is !
Bringing back my earlier post. How relevant!

Last edited by KPR : 28th November 2021 at 19:09.
Old 28th November 2021, 18:45   #14587
Team-BHP Support

Amazing how all commentators and specially Gavaskar (Mumbai lobby) are still finding ways to keep Rahane in the eleven. Drop Mayank, play Kohli and make KS Bharath or Pujara open. I just hope none of this nonsense happens.

Rahane needs to do what everyone else had to do before him - go and find form in domestic cricket. That would do him more good than playing as VC and failing.
Eddy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 19:09   #14588
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Rahane needs to do what everyone else had to do before him - go and find form in domestic cricket. That would do him more good than playing as VC and failing.
Absolutely!

With the kind of performance Shreyas has given in this test, it would be the most illogical and unfair decision if he were to be dropped for the next test

This is also a big test for the team think tank including Dravid.

I think it's time Pujara and Rahane are dropped and asked to go back to domestic cricket and make their way back to the test team. At the minimum at least one of them should be dropped for the next test, but I guess it's just us and our wishful thinking.

Last edited by NPV : 28th November 2021 at 19:11.
Old 28th November 2021, 22:26   #14589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
What a disgrace our players have become. They need favourable pitch to win matches. BCCI should immediately ban players to do any kind of advertisement for additional income till they are playing for national team. The passion to play is missing after IPL has started.
What are you talking about?
Every team has home advantage in their own country plus the weather and conditions matter in preparing a pitch. You can't make spinning tracks in NZ and Eng and you can't make swinging tracks in subcontinent. And our players are best in the world that's why the team is No.1 since last 5 years. And why shouldn't players do advertisement or whatever else in their own free time to earn? Does BCCI themselves lose any opportunity or Avenue to make money? If making ads is harming player performance then drop them. Simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
As Indian Cricket Fans, we must boycott the match for 'favouratism' This is detrimental to Indian cricket. Many Karun Nairs' are going to keep playing and performing in the domestic circuit with no opportunities at the International Level.

I dont see why Rahane cannot go back to Ranji, perform there and make his way back into the playing XI. This will make him a better player, batter and help keep his internatoonal career on track.

P.S: I refer to Karun Nair only because he was replaced with Rahane. He stands for all thosè who have been deprived of opportunities to play in the middle order - S Iyer, Mandeep Singh, M Vohra, S Jackson, Taruwar Kohli, R Dalal and so many more.
Karun Nair was rightly dropped for Rahane. Rahane at that time in 2016 was a different player and our best batsman overseas. Karun was given few tests but he couldn't replicate his success so he was dropped. Since then he couldn't even perform well in domestic red ball that he can ever come back into contention.

Rahane is finished as his peak is behind him and no way he can come back into the team once dropped. I will say same for Pujara but atleast Pujara looks like he is trying to grind out his lack of form. Rahane is just like a free loader passenger since long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
India struggling on 92/5 in the second innings, unless Shreyas Iyer, Ashwin and rest of the tail get another 100+ runs, this could very well end in a defeat for India.
As usual lower order rescues us. Story since last couple of years because of non performing middle order. And we still don't play people like Ashwin in England tests when he is clearly a better batter than Rahane let alone the value he brings in his bowling. I expect NZ to be all out under 150 barring some great innings from Taylor or Williamson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Amazing how all commentators and specially Gavaskar (Mumbai lobby) are still finding ways to keep Rahane in the eleven. Drop Mayank, play Kohli and make KS Bharath or Pujara open. I just hope none of this nonsense happens.

Gavaskar is as biased as they come. I am 99% sure they will drop Mayank, ask Pujara to open and keep Rahane in Mumbai match. I was also 99% sure they may drop Iyer even after that 💯 but another fifty this innings may save his position. I expected Dravid to change this senior will always play culture no matter what rubbish form they had been but now I have low hopes.
Old 28th November 2021, 23:00   #14590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Gavaskar is as biased as they come. I am 99% sure they will drop Mayank, ask Pujara to open and keep Rahane in Mumbai match. I was also 99% sure they may drop Iyer even after that 💯 but another fifty this innings may save his position. I expected Dravid to change this senior will always play culture no matter what rubbish form they had been but now I have low hopes.
How many chances have others got when you compare it with Rahane? Pujara has been getting out on good balls and other time he is grinding it out, which is his part in the team. Karun Nair did not get fair number of opportunities. Many other did not even get a look in. Vihari played a series saving innings and yet his place in the team is uncertain.

Like you, even I would not be surprised that Pujara opens with Gill, Kohli plays one down, Rahane plays on fourth and then followed with Iyer, Jadeja & Ashwin.

In India atleast, the Captain has a lot more power than a coach. And we all know, Kohli likes Rahane and the former doesnt care what media or we fans think of the team selection. Dravid is soft by nature and he wont keep his foot down if he too wants Rahane to be dropped, not atleast in his first series as coach. We too need to give him that liberty and not lower our hopes in just one series. Lets see how the playing XI turns out, till then we have a fascinating last day coming up. Would like Kane & Taylor draw it close and then Ashwin spells his magic.
Old 28th November 2021, 23:51   #14591
BHPian

The standard of umpiring has been very low in this test match.
tortoiseNhare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 10:24   #14592
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

The pitch has held up even on day 5, except for maybe the odd ball with the unexpected turn or low/no bounce when it hits a footmark or crack. I don't think it will be so easy for india to win, even the night watchman Sommerville seems to be batting comfortably and with confidence. While it's unlikely that New Zealand will win, they do have the opportunity to draw this game.
Old 29th November 2021, 10:47   #14593
BHPian

Though we may end winning this match, I still found our batting, just before we declared, very strange. No intent of scoring quick runs and I felt that the declaration came all of a sudden. Instead, if we had scored some 50+ runs in 5 overs, then there was no chance of NZ going for a win. Now, all the 3 results (or may be 4) are possible!
Old 29th November 2021, 11:43   #14594
Team-BHP Support

I just hope that NZ do not find a Rishabh Pant today
Old 29th November 2021, 14:15   #14595
Team-BHP Support

Ross Taylor's wicket at the stroke of tea almost rules out a NZ win now. Let's see who wins now - spin, defence or light.
Eddy is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks