Sky
Pant/DK
Hardik
Deepak Chahar
Bumrah
Chahal/Ashwin
Arshdeep
Harshal

Deepak Chahar is a necessity since none of Arshdeep and Harshal are good opening bowlers. Plus he can bat.

But I don't see us going anywhere in the World Cup with the current squad, management and mindset. All three need changes. y

Anyway, the WC is going to be the end of an era. Rohit, Ashwin, Kohli, DK - it will be their last T20 international outing for sure.

Quote:
Dravid has been a huge disappointment for me. Like Ganguly as BCCI head is a huge disappointment. I expected so much from both of them but their methods have only been regressive instead of progressive.
Ganguly has been a huge huge failure. He's done so bad, that I have started liking Greg Chappel. But I am unable to understand what Dravid's strategy is. There has been so much chop and change that it's just not clear what he is trying to do. I will wait for him to run a settled side before passing on my final judgement (for whatever it's worth).

Last edited by Eddy : 7th September 2022 at 12:15.
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 13:54   #15332
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Rest of India: India is out of Asia cup

RCB fans: For India to qualify, Afghanistan should win against Pakistan on 07.09.22, India should win against Afghanistan on 08.09.22 and Srilanka should win against Pakistan on 09.09.22. Then Run rate of India will most probably be higher than Pakistan and India will qualify
I am not a RCB fan, but I still think it's possible.
Old 7th September 2022, 14:39   #15333
Distinguished - BHPian

what is the pint of huffing and puffing, they have been humiliated by both srilanka and pakistan already, so much so they are now dependent on Afg, just like WC, I hope they loose to afghanistan also, they just don't deserve to play final.

I thought VK was bad captain, sharma is taking it a notch higher, my respect for shastri has just dialled up now!

Last edited by AtheK : 7th September 2022 at 14:56.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 15:08   #15334
BHPian

There are a few flaws in the team.
  • Lack of left handed options in the top order
  • We picked a finisher but he sits out (DK).
  • Lack of a solid bowling allrounder who can powerhit at 8.
  • Lack of power play penetration.

However there are solutions to most of the gaps. And let's not forget that we have been unlucky with injuries.

If Jadeja misses the WC, then Axar has to play. Chahar also has to play as he can bat at 8 and bowl in the power play. I'm also assuming that they will fast track Shami back into the squad to add some teeth to the pace bowling. Bumrah coming back strong from injury is vital. There doesn't seem to be a solution for the left-handed batsman up top, unless KL sits out and Pant gets pushed to the top. That could be an interesting option. DK has to play every game from now on.

I agree with what Rohit said in the press conference. The team is almost 90% there, the Asia Cup loss notwithstanding. Now they need to give the first team a proper run in the lead up to the WC and stop experimenting.

Let's also not forget that Dubai results are heavily toss dependent. The chasing team invariably wins. We dragged the games to the last over and fought till the end. Hopefully the results in Australia will not be so toss dependent.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 15:19   #15335
Senior - BHPian

Guys. I know all of us are disappointed. But please do not discount the fact that in this Asia cup only one team has lost chasing and that is Hong Kong (against India and Pakistan). Every other game was won by the team chasing. The same Sri Lanka was handed a sound beating by Afghanistan in the first match.

The fact is that toss seems to have more than a fair amount of impact on the game. This needs to be looked into.

I am reasonably confident that India would have won both the matches had we won the toss and chased.
Old 7th September 2022, 16:23   #15336
BHPian

IPL is a major contributor to India's recent "World Tournaments" failures.
  • Boundaries are smaller for IPL matches (max 65 meters). Sixes in IPL matches become catches in international matches. Both Pant and Hardik got out on the shots which would have been sixes in IPL game.
  • Pitches are mostly flat. Dont remember any bowling friendly wicket in IPL matches. This makes batting way too easy
  • Batsmen are not at all challenged in IPL. The new cricket rules are heavily in favor of the batsmen. Cricket is hardly the battle between bat and ball anymore. I'll any day prefer a 140 game on a bowling friendly wicket rather than a 200 game on a dead wicket.
  • We Indians now see IPL as the epitome of the T20 cricket and we make IPL players as stars over night. However they get badly exposed in different conditions (such as bowling friendly pitches, consistent 145 Kmph+ bowling, long boundaries etc)

IPL is a good domestic tournament and should be treated at that level only. International cricket is a different ball game. IPL performances should not be the benchmark for the same.
vinit is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 16:37   #15337
BHPian

One consistent feature I have observed in this Asia Cup so far and even last T20 WC is our team's inability to accelerate in the last 4-5 overs. We are always falling about 20 runs short. Neither the established players, nor the tail seems capable of big hitting towards the end.
Old 7th September 2022, 16:49   #15338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Assuming that Jadeja is not fit, here is the 11 that I will play in the WC

Anyway, the WC is going to be the end of an era. Rohit, Ashwin, Kohli, DK - it will be their last T20 international outing for sure.

Ganguly has been a huge huge failure. He's done so bad, that I have started liking Greg Chappel. But I am unable to understand what Dravid's strategy is. There has been so much chop and change that it's just not clear what he is trying to do. I will wait for him to run a settled side before passing on my final judgement (for whatever it's worth).
Jadeja is 100% out confirmed by his surgery which takes long time to heal. Axar has done very well whenever he get chances so an apt replacement. You are highly mistaken. Rohit, virat, Ash aren't going anywhere till ODI WC next year. After that it can be anything. DK might be retired after this world cup.

Deepak chahar should have played all matches here instead of Avesh. Stupid team management as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
what is the pint of huffing and puffing, they have been humiliated by both srilanka and pakistan already, so much so they are now dependent on Afg, just like WC, I hope they loose to afghanistan also, they just don't deserve to play final.

I thought VK was bad captain, sharma is taking it a notch higher, my respect for shastri has just dialled up now!
VK is the best test captain India has ever produced and i believe we all will agree Tests are most difficult format to play. Even his white ball record as Indian Captain is extremely good barring ICC tournament final win. Rohit is a good captain too in my opinion. Both of them can't do anything if right team isn't picked and players who are picked will not perform when needed. I blame the coach more in stupid team selections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post

Let's also not forget that Dubai results are heavily toss dependent. The chasing team invariably wins. We dragged the games to the last over and fought till the end. Hopefully the results in Australia will not be so toss dependent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Guys. I know all of us are disappointed. But please do not discount the fact that in this Asia cup only one team has lost chasing and that is Hong Kong (against India and Pakistan). Every other game was won by the team chasing. The same Sri Lanka was handed a sound beating by Afghanistan in the first match.

The fact is that toss seems to have more than a fair amount of impact on the game. This needs to be looked into.

I am reasonably confident that India would have won both the matches had we won the toss and chased.
Can we stop blaming the pitch or conditions or the usual team batting second wins in UAE excuse.

We didn't crossed 200 once so far.
Our bowling has been way average barring a single decent performance by someone in every match.
Our fielding and catching has been bad by the modern day standards. We are selecting wrong guys for wrong positions. Coaching staff looks clueless and Captain himself was losing it when things weren't working out.

Yes, in T20 batting second is usually beneficial because of knowing the target but when the team batting first won't even cross 200 with such star players then it becomes more easy for team batting second.

We keep selecting players who are doing nothing since long. Chahal, Pant, KL Rahul and even Bhuvi haven't done anything great since long and keep getting selected while players like Samson, Tripathi don't even get a chance or just forgotten after one match.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 17:05   #15339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Rohit, virat, Ash aren't going anywhere till ODI WC next year.
I said retirement from T20Is. ODI retirement after the ODI World Cup.
Old 7th September 2022, 18:56   #15340
BHPian

Quite a few hardcore cricket fans in my circle and outside were of the notion that change of guard (captaincy and coaching staff) would mean an automatic gateway to success in ICC tournaments. Game of cricket never was and is so simple, is it?

Well, 'mathematically' India still has a chance to qualify(miracle no.1) for the finals and perhaps even lift the trophy(miracle no.2).

Another interesting thing to make note of is, it has become a trend of sorts that the megastars of IPL either make themselves unavailable for bi-lateral international fixtures or rested citing workload management. However, come the big / important international matches, a few key players are forced to miss the matches owing to injuries. To make things worse, the ones who play fail to replicate their IPL heroics on a consistent basis!

Last edited by Emvi : 7th September 2022 at 18:58.
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 19:58   #15341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I said retirement from T20Is. ODI retirement after the ODI World Cup.
My bad.
Read it wrong.

Again Kohli and Rohit are 34 around. Rohit is Captain. Barring fitness issues or bcci showing them the door I don't see them retiring easily. Fame and money is tough to let go. Plus till they play for Indian team they get more moolah in IPL.

And if history is an indicator bcci won't show them the door cos all bcci is concerned with is counting the money they make from IPL

Personally i feel we should have done a complete overhaul of T20 team since last year world cup debacle. Remember only time we won T20 World Cup was when we sent a young team to play it. Should have done it again.

On a side note Hales is again back in England squad for World Cup. I rate him quite highly as an opening batter.

Last edited by harry10 : 7th September 2022 at 19:59.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 20:14   #15342
BHPian

I think we all are over-thinking this.

The Indian team will continue with this trial and error format right up till the world cup, where individual brilliances will take us up to semi-final. Eventually luck will run out and we'll end up losing.

Cue hue and cry and we'll be back here again in a few months consoling and discussing the strategy for the ODI WC in '23.

PS: I am very willing to eat my hat if India win the T20 WC. Heck I'll eat the additional hats lying around the house as well.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 23:04   #15343
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh man such a heart break for Afghanistan, they played brilliantly!!

Well played Pakistan too, and there knack of making boring matches interesting stays on.

Meanwhile message for Indian Team

The Cricket Thread-whatsapp-image-20220907-11.01.09-pm.jpeg

Last edited by AtheK : 7th September 2022 at 23:14.
AtheK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 01:26   #15344
BHPian

I find it strange that someone like Bhuvaneshwara Kumara opens attack for a country of 138 crore population. No pace, no swing, very boring bowling action. (Even in helpful conditions, such fast bowlers don't look exciting no matter how effective they are) Also, wonder what is so special in players like Chahal, Axar Patel etc. They keep playing no matter what. No offence to them or their fans.
Recently I watched some local tennis ball tournament. I was very impressed by the kind of talent there. We have tons of such people. Its just that they don't get to play at the higher level.
adithya.kp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 07:24   #15345
Senior - BHPian

Maybe there is some element of too much cricket showing its head in the dismal performances of our cricketers? Also, I think going under the radar is better for a T20I WC than going in with overconfidence.

I think the three main areas of concern are KL Rahul, middle order, and fielding. Pant still hasn't cracked the formula for batting in the limited over formats. If KL Rahul is struggling, we may need to think of sending Pant opening and have SKY, DK and Hardik be the finishers.

Let us hope that this tournament was just a blip and India can go under the radar as they did in 2007.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks