Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2022, 12:59   #15301
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

At this rate we might need a dedicated thread for Manjrekar's musings.

He now says that life might get better for Kohli :-)

Quote:
Asia Cup 2022: "Life Might Just Get Better" For Virat Kohli, Sanjay Manjrekar Explains How

Source -

https://sports.ndtv.com/asia-cup-202...e-ndtv_cricket
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 13:32   #15302
BHPian

My XI vs HK today

R Sharma
R Pant (wk)
K L Rahul
SKY
H Pandya
R Jadeja
DK
R Ashwin
B Kumar
Y Chahal
Arshdeep Singh

Though I know V Kohli will definitely play, so my bad already!
Old 31st August 2022, 13:37   #15303
Team-BHP Support

I hope Hardik is rested today, if not from the 11 then at least from bowling. We gotta look after him very well. He is 1 in 138 crores, after all.
Eddy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 17:48   #15304
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I hope Hardik is rested today, if not from the 11 then at least from bowling. We gotta look after him very well. He is 1 in 138 crores, after all.
True that and hopefully we can get to bat first and use this as a batting practice game, we need Rohit, Kohli at the very least to get back to top form and be amongst the runs.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 19:17   #15305
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
True that and hopefully we can get to bat first and use this as a batting practice game, we need Rohit, Kohli at the very least to get back to top form and be amongst the runs.
Your wishes have been granted.
Hardik has been rested and Pant has taken his place in the playing eleven.

India have lost the toss and it's a not bad thing actually. Rohit was keen on chasing but now India are batting first.

Pitch report | Sanjay Manjrekar: This pitch has changed, it is white and no longer a green top. India's top three will get a chance to bat for a long time. This is a surface that Chahal will love, especially since he would be bowling second.

Last edited by Emvi : 31st August 2022 at 19:21. Reason: Pitch report added
Old 1st September 2022, 11:09   #15306
Senior - BHPian

It was fun watching the quickest right arm pacer from India bowling one over yesterday

On a serious note I hope Kohli sustains his recent back to some form. When he gets going he is such a treat.

SKY is our best batter. No need to tinker with his place and keep him at 4 as he plays spins exceptionally well. Rather if first wicket falls after 8 overs SKY should come ahead of Kohli.

KL should be benched. He is a burden. Just a statpadder who never performs in crucial matches. Rather than Kohli I will open with Rohit and Pant. One of them clicks and we are set in powerplay. Plus Pant is lefty and doesn't plays for stats so no issue of wasting balls.

My playing 11 on Sunday will be -

Rohit
Pant
Kohli
Sky
Hardik
Dk
Jaddu
Ashwin
Bhuvi
Chahal
Arshdeep

We don't have a back up pacer so Ash has to replace the ultra mediocre Avesh. Strengthens the tail batting too if needed.
harry10 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 11:15   #15307
KPR
BANNED

Rahul is playing a ODI innings in T20. He is a pain especially when Hooda, Pant/DK are made to sit. He is not a matchwinner like Dhawan which may prove costly if he opens in T20 WC.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 12:47   #15308
Team-BHP Support

I fail to see why Avesh Khan is rated so highly. He just seems to be in the Varun Aaron mode. One good ball in 2-3 overs but gets hit too much. Doesn't offer anything with the bat or in the field either.

Anyway, Bumrah and Harshal will return hopefully.
Old 1st September 2022, 12:52   #15309
BHPian

Quote:
I fail to see why Avesh Khan is rated so highly. He just seems to be in the Varun Aaron mode. One good ball in 2-3 overs but gets hit too much. Doesn't offer anything with the bat or in the field either.

Anyway, Bumrah and Harshal will return hopefully.
Exactly my thought. He did have a good IPL season however lacks (atleast feels like it) skills for an international competition. In general, this is the disadvantage of selecting players with 1 good season of IPL. Not sure why Chetan Sakariya has fallen out of contention and A Khan has been given chances instead. We need Gautam Gambhir in the selection committee, even though hated for his temperament, he has utmost clarity and rational behind his analysis.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 13:04   #15310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Manjrekar says that Jadeja is slowly becoming an all-rounder

He now says that life might get better for Kohli :-)
Not really a Sanjay Manjrekar fan are you

What he has said is pretty accurate. Jadeja has become a batting all-rounder in white ball cricket. When he got dropped from the white ball team, his ineffectiveness with the ball was the primary reason and his batting at that time was pretty average. They tried the Kuldeep-Chahal combination but that affected our batting depth. By then Jaddu was in sparkling form as a hitter with the bat, so he now plays a holding role as a spin bowler and provides batting depth. Being left handed and a GOAT fielder also helps.

As a contrast we can look at Pat Cummins as a bowling all-rounder. Phenomenal with the ball and a useful hitter with the bat. It's rare to get a fully balanced all-rounder who can be picked for either of the two skills. Maybe Ben Stokes. Maybe Hardik for the past few months.

His comment on Kohli is pretty accurate too. His front-foot trigger movement has been a recurring issue when the ball moves. In Australia, for the WC, back-foot play is going to be vital.

I get it that Sanjay is universally disliked. His style does come across as pessimistic and critical. However amongst the horde of biased, banal, cheerleader like nonsense that passes for commentary we need a Sanjay to present an alternative view. And he does have a view which most of the others don't.

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 1st September 2022 at 13:06.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 00:22   #15311
BHPian

With Jaddu out due to a knee injury, my XI for Ind vs Pak would be:

R Sharma
R Pant (wk)
V Kohli (floater)
SKY
Hooda
H Pandya
DK
R Ashwin
B Kumar
Y Chahal
Arshdeep

A Khan need to play more domestic and IPL to be really considered for Internationals.
SKY to be promoted to 3 if Pant & Rohit have a blitzkrieg for 6 overs and losing only one of them.
B Kumar & R Ashwin to open the bowling. R Ashwin to be sent as a slogger between 10 to 14th over.
Old 6th September 2022, 23:15   #15312
Senior - BHPian

Have people already stopped watching Asia Cup?

Deja-Vu in the 19th over today with Bhuvaneswar being taken to the cleaners. Against pakistan he gave away 19 runs leaving Arshdeep to defend 7 off the last over. And today again he gave away 13 runs leaving Arshdeep again to defend 7. If most experienced bowler does this in the penultimate over in back to back all important matches, we can't blame the lesser experienced folks. India's problems just magnified before WC. Team selection is all over the place where nothing seems to be working.

Kudos to SL, they deserved to win this one.

Last edited by SoumenD : 6th September 2022 at 23:17.
SoumenD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 23:22   #15313
BHPian

Well, India can still qualify if Pakistan loses both their remaining games. But they also need to beat Afghanistan by a big margin to better their NRR.

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th September 2022 at 15:38. Reason: As requested.
Old 6th September 2022, 23:22   #15314
Senior - BHPian

This was expected to happen, India did not play enough competitive cricket before Asia Cup The selectors will still defend themselves and retain this team till T20 World cup. Ravi Bishnoi had bowled better than Chahal against Pakistan, Hooda has not bowled despite being an all-rounder. KL Rahul is really testing patience on the ground.

Last edited by deehunk : 6th September 2022 at 23:34.
Old 6th September 2022, 23:29   #15315
BHPian

Hard to understand certain things.

Rohit standing poker faced in both the matches during the 19th over while Bhuvi went on ruining the match. No discussions, no instructions, nothing.

Why on earth drop Dinesh Karthik? For Hooda? Bizarre
TROOPER is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks