Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2022, 23:32   #15316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Full credit to Sri Lanka, they were simply the better team today. India are basically out of the tournament now.

It is obvious, how much impact Jasprit Bumrah’s absence is having. Bowling attack starts looking much less menacing without him. India missed a trick by not bringing on Ashwin earlier.

Deepak Hooda may have ended his international career with those two RIDICULOUS shots. Still don’t understand how that ball was called a no ball.

The finish with the missed run out and winning runs of the overthrow. Déjàvu from the iconic 2002 Natwest series final.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 6th September 2022 at 23:35.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 23:33   #15317
KPR
BANNED

Rahul is the new Virat now. Failure after failure by Rahul and I'm sure he will make entire team prepone their return ticket from Australia. Best time to bring back Shikar and make him open along with Rohit in WC. Left, right combination at the top will unsettle any bowler. KL only puts pressure on Rohit.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 23:40   #15318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
This was expected to happen, India did not play enough competitive cricket before Asia Cup
They came here straight from tours of the Caribbean and Zimbabwe. They were playing continuously, just that the quality of opposition was rather pedestrian.

The less we talk about team selection and tactics, the better for our own blood pressure. Don’t know what forces are at play behind the scenes, but many calls have been baffling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Hard to understand certain things.

Rohit standing poker faced in both the matches during the 19th over while Bhuvi went on ruining the match. No discussions, no instructions, nothing.

Why on earth drop Dinesh Karthik? For Hooda? Bizarre
Dhoni the captain was truly missed today.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 23:53   #15319
Team-BHP Support

Heads need to roll before the World Cup. This is not how you play international cricket.
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 04:46   #15320
Senior - BHPian

Boy, oh boy! I was so damn wrong in thinking this Asia cup is an opportunity for India to warm-up by flexing its muscles against our weaker neighbors.
landcruiser123 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 05:20   #15321
BHPian

One I noticed is that Virat was not included in any conversation and he was just fielding. In the end of the match, they both (Rohit and Virat) shook hands and went their way. There is some difference across the two.
swunkjyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 06:46   #15322
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

India are clearly not a contender for the t20 world cup with the way the team is playing currently, inability to defeat teams like Sri Lanka and Pakistan are proof of that, atleast they came close in both matches. Anyways India are most likely out of Asia Cup contention.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 07:00   #15323
Senior - BHPian

Disheartened from the loss. But, it is good to see competitive cricket being played by other teams too. A one sided match is always boring and uninteresting. I think that Dravid and company are still experimenting and they are not worried about the Asia Cup, instead they are looking to prepare the side for T20 WC. Asia cup will surely help in picking the right team for WC and I think a few players will go out. We are experimenting too much and the players are nowadays picked from their performance in IPL also. IPL has not helped India in building a stable and competitive side. Most of the impactful players are from pre IPL era.
Old 7th September 2022, 07:08   #15324
Senior - BHPian

Indian team has been unable to groom new players since Pant made his debut. There is no new talent amongst batsmen/bowlers, who will mentor Aarshdeep Singh? I have a feeling that Virat may quit after the T20 World Cup.

Last edited by deehunk : 7th September 2022 at 07:18.
Old 7th September 2022, 08:13   #15325
BHPian

Hi Team,

I think we are being a bit too harsh on our cricket team. But I do understand the sentiments of the fans/supporters .

Personally if you ask me the team did compete well and did well to drag the match till the last over against both Pakistan and Srilanka.
  • Remember it's a lot more easier to chase in these conditions than to set a target. This has been proved in this Asia Cup and even in the previous world cup that was held in UAE last year.
  • I would also say the team was hampered by injuries/sickness to Jaddu and Avesh and that may have affected their original plans

Nevertheless it's better to face such tough matches in a pre-world cup scenario than to win everything pre-world cup and being found out in the world cup matches.

I would like to point out the following flaws/issues in team selection and planning and this is something that has been exposed.

Flaws/Issues in team selection & planning

1.KL Rahul gets out for too many times for single digit score and he is a quite a slow starter. This then puts tremendous pressure on the rest of the team. I don't see what extra KL Rahul offers over Dhawan, as an opener, and I cannot see KL, Rohit and Virat as the top 3. They all have similar styles.

2. Deepak Hooda is not a finisher. DK is the finisher. The team cannot put Deepak in No#6 & #7 and expect him to take care off finishing the innings. If Deepak is in the team he has to play in the top #3 and has to roll his arm over for at least couple of overs. If Deepak is not going to be tried as a bowling option in a pre-world cup match then how would they expect him to roll his arm over in a world cup match?

3. DK should play as a finisher if Deepak is not going to bowl couple of overs

4. Bhuvi - I really don't understand what he tried to do in yesterday's match. Bowling wide yorkers and having short 3rd man! Don't see the logic in this.

My Summary

The coach and the captain should non-emotionally play these matches and analyse the flaws and drawbacks. The world cup is the most important tournament in this year and they should plan towards that. I don't understand some of the logic/planning that they did in the last couple of matches.

Hopefully they address these issues in the upcoming matches
Old 7th September 2022, 09:10   #15326
BHPian

Before the tournament India thought they had a settled team. Now, they are not so sure with several question marks. Better to have this low now rather than in the middle of the WC.
Old 7th September 2022, 09:29   #15327
Distinguished - BHPian

Rest of India: India is out of Asia cup

RCB fans: For India to qualify, Afghanistan should win against Pakistan on 07.09.22, India should win against Afghanistan on 08.09.22 and Srilanka should win against Pakistan on 09.09.22. Then Run rate of India will most probably be higher than Pakistan and India will qualify
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 09:47   #15328
BHPian

That was SriLanka's win yesterday. The way they bowled at the start and then the way they started their innings with the bat. So much positive intent.

Rohit Sharma and Dravid have a lot to think about. Why would you choose Chahal over Bishnoi? Why would you choose Pant over DK?

Pant needs to be kept only for tests and ODI's. I dont see how he is useful as a keeper or a batsman in T20s. Doesnt finish the innings, plays rash shots, you cannot rely on him at all.
Mumbaiker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 10:16   #15329
BHPian

Fabulous batting by the two lankan openers, demonstrated than runs can be plundered by playing proper cricketing shots and not ridiculous overhead scoops. For india the superhero status of a handful of players and their too big to drop status interferes with proper experimentation to test bench strength. Either play your best xi or a fully experimental side
Old 7th September 2022, 12:02   #15330
Senior - BHPian

Instead of quoting everyone let me present my view point on Asia cup debacle. Pardon for the long post as like most of you I am also quite pissed with our teams performance.

First of all I don't want India to qualify by others losing their games. Simply put Sri Lanka has played better cricket, so has Afghanistan and Pakistan. They all deserve to play finals instead of India cos they have played better than what everyone thought they are capable of doing and India has been below par to put it mildly. And unless we get out of the Asia cup nothing will change for World Cup.

Dravid has been a huge disappointment for me. Like Ganguly as BCCI head is a huge disappointment. I expected so much from both of them but their methods have only been regressive instead of progressive.

Let's start with selection.
Dravid says in media before Asia cup starts - now only our best 11 will play till World Cup.

What do we see is happening.

Avesh who is a damn mediocre bowler is playing.
DK who is our best finisher and being groomed for it since last 6 months he is sitting on the bench. Instead Hooda who has never finished a single game in his career played at no. 7. I won't blame Hooda as he is a Top 4 player and not his fault he is being played out of position by a Coach who is legend and a Captain who is touted to be a genius just cos he won 5 IPL titles.

Rahul who has been a disaster time and again in crucial matches is back at opening and behold fails again when needed. Pant who has worst stats than anyone in the team is again selected cos he is a lefty.

Bishnoi, our best performer against Pakistan is left out and Captain says that's cos of team balance. What rubbish statement is that to leave out you MVP of last game. Makes no sense at all.

Bhuvi who wasn't at his best is still bowling at death with an absolute rubbish line and field setting. His strength is bowling yorkers and slow cutters at death and all he is doing is bowling outside off letting them hit every ball. Obviously team management asked him to do so.

Rohit won IPL cos he had an amazing team with everyone a match winner. Here when things go wrong he looks lost. Shows Captain can only be as good as his team. Atleast in batting he is back in some form which is a positive. I am a big admirer of his but he has to show some toughness here in Captaincy.

So, what do we do to be a contender in World Cup cos this way we ain't gonna even cross league stage rest alone winning the Cup.

Few things need to be corrected.
Drop KL, he isn't a big match player. If you want to play Pant then open with him and Rohit. He isn't a selfish player like KL who plays for Stat padding and a 15 ball 25 from him is good enough for a start. If not playing Pant then make Kohli open who does it in IPL regularly.

Sort out the bowling. Arshdeep barring his drop catch has been impressive. Get Shami back as an back up option instead of Avesh. If Bumrah is fit make Bumrah, Bhuvi and Arshdeep 3 lead pacers with Hardik as back up. Jaddu is out. So, play Ash, he can bat well as shown yesterday and is always below 30 runs in 4 overs. Plus he is absolutely brilliant against left handers. Only one of Chahal and Bishnoi can play. I will pick Bishnoi. He can bat and his fielding is miles better than Chahal. Plus he has been bowling well.

Coach, Captain will have to take hard calls otherwise we are doomed in World Cup.

Last edited by harry10 : 7th September 2022 at 12:05.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks