Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 08:47   #15347
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
On a lighter note,

https://fb.watch/fp3MdFfe_e/
Even my daughter makes statistical comparison, it is more than 4 years. Indian selection committee historically has failed to assess the bowling talent, it is the mode of dismissal that matters not the number of wickets.
Old 8th September 2022, 09:07   #15348
BHPian

There is so much to dissect in the loss. I feel it can be broken down to few things,
- Lack of allrounders ex. Aus 90's winning team, Indian team under Dhoni etc.
- Lack of play book for global tournaments. Where you don't have a chance to learn from mistakes.
- Playing to ones' strengths. Bazball
- Problem of plenty or why not/ what if? IPL performance needs grooming
- Fatigue?

As a fan, I am concerned with Rohit's reactions. He was no Dhoni but neither was he a Kohli. Is it pressure to perform or is he not getting his 11?

P.S: I am Dravid fan, man can do no wrong. Dubai record of chasing, resurgence of Pak cricket team, SL's team self belief/ motivation, lack of first pick 11 etc. We can consider this and let it go. There is something fundamentally wrong here.

P.P.S: I am also a RCB fan. So not being able to figure out why your fav team is not performing comes natural to me.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 10:33   #15349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

Can we stop blaming the pitch or conditions or the usual team batting second wins in UAE excuse.
It is a common refrain is that we should look at the performance and not the toss. However at some venues, the toss has become a significant factor. Dubai happens to be one of them. Here’s a link to Statsguru data on this.

To summarise, for the last 2 years at Dubai, in 19 T20I Games.
  • The team winning the toss has won the match 16 times. That’s a win percentage of 84%
  • The team winning the toss has chosen to chase 18 times. That’s 94% of the time
  • The team chasing has won 17 games. That’s a win percentage of 89%

This cuts across all teams and not just India. In Dubai, conditions get easier for batting as the game progresses. Clearly it’s win toss and usually win the match, unless the team batting first does something extraordinary. We would like tosses in cricket to be like that of football or tennis. Irrelevant. But in T20s it seems to be more like chess. The player playing white has an advantage. However chess has a way to balance this by alternating. T20 does not.

This is the elephant in the room that the ICC doesn’t want you to talk about because fans start tuning out the moment they realise this. In T20s, it’s now quite rare for a team winning the toss to bat first. I suspect that the results will get even more skewed in favour of chasing teams as we progress. So we need something to restore the balance. Maybe allowing defending teams to have an additional fielder outside the circle. Maybe allowing an extra substitute bowler. Maybe something else.

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 8th September 2022 at 10:36.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 11:03   #15350
Senior - BHPian

Statistics and team selection and performances of key people aside, I noticed two things.

1. Rohit has an exasperated look when we concede a boundary or a six. Standing with that look won’t give you a wicket next ball. Also, I saw that he had his arms around the padded batter and is animatedly discussing and shadow shots and pointing to areas etc..saw that with Pandya and Hooda before they walked into bat. I’m saying, leave them alone, they will bat.

2. Even when VK was the captain, he used to place himself in the deep. Was good in his throws and his catching. In the match against Pakistan, he wasn’t fielding in the deep. Wonder what changed that day.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 11:16   #15351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post

This is the elephant in the room that the ICC doesn’t want you to talk about because fans start tuning out the moment they realise this. In T20s, it’s now quite rare for a team winning the toss to bat first. I suspect that the results will get even more skewed in favour of chasing teams as we progress. So we need something to restore the balance. Maybe allowing defending teams to have an additional fielder outside the circle. Maybe allowing an extra substitute bowler. Maybe something else.
Valid points.
However, I have already stated in T20 team batting second always has the advantage cos they know the score to chase. But, my issue with this team is they never crossed 200. That is concerning. You make 200+ and no matter the stats or conditions it's very tough to chase. I am looking at bigger picture. In Australia this is what batting first teams will look to do and if we can't make 200 in UAE how will we make it on bigger ground of Australia. Our batting order needs to be looked at before its too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Statistics and team selection and performances of key people aside, I noticed two things.

1. Rohit has an exasperated look when we concede a boundary or a six. Standing with that look won’t give you a wicket next ball. Also, I saw that he had his arms around the padded batter and is animatedly discussing and shadow shots and pointing to areas etc..saw that with Pandya and Hooda before they walked into bat. I’m saying, leave them alone, they will bat.

2. Even when VK was the captain, he used to place himself in the deep. Was good in his throws and his catching. In the match against Pakistan, he wasn’t fielding in the deep. Wonder what changed that day.
Yup, noticed the same. People were hailing Rohit as cool and calm but this tournament showed he isn't as cool as people claim which is understandable when your team will give rubbish performance. I still rate him highly so I am hoping he will do a turnaround soon.

I was surprised to see VK fielding at backward point. I have never seen him doing it before. He is always at short extra cover to save singles, in slips and after powerplay on boundary rope as he has an excellent throwing arm and good at taking catches.

Loved the way Afghanistan fought yesterday. They are my favorite team to watch cos of the passion they bring in to their game. Yesterday match showed how good bowling can make even a 130 score tough to chase and our bowlers aren't even able to defend 180+. We deserved to be thrown out of the tournament humiliated.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 14:40   #15352
BHPian

Pakistani bowlers are winning matches for Pakistan by doing batting. Indian bowlers cant win matches for India by doing bowling
vinit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 17:06   #15353
BHPian

I see slackness creeping in our team. Fielding has been below par. Running between the wickets has been bad as well. During the Dhoni and Kohli days, atleast we used to convert ones into twos, minimize dots.

Serious questions on selection of playing 11. in-form players like DK are sitting on the bench. No 5th regular bowler. No good opening bowler, Shami is sidelined.

After all that show Rohit refuses to admit and claims we were 95% perfect. A good captain takes accountability, doesnt make excuses.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 8th September 2022 at 17:08.
Old 8th September 2022, 19:04   #15354
BHPian

Rohit Sharma is... taking rest.... Why?
Old 8th September 2022, 19:08   #15355
BHPian

Did anyone notice that the commentrators look like they have got up from the bed and in front of the camera with whatever clothes they got their sight on first. Especially, Shaz & Waz are literally wearing the same shirt, jeans and sport shoes alternating between them Good to see casual attire for the commentrators as well, may not be liked by many.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 19:41   #15356
Distinguished - BHPian

Out of Form captain is resting, the worst batsman in the team is the captain of the team, amazing turn around by Dravid!!
Old 8th September 2022, 19:53   #15357
BHPian

It's ridiculous how after yesterday's game, AFG have to travel to Dubai from Sharjah to play against India. While India get ample rest and the luxury to play every game in Dubai. The BCCI's sway over cricket means it controls everything and tries to get the best conditions and schedule for India, which makes it especially embarassing when we lose.

I wonder how this impacts the team. To be the richest most well-known players, on whose backs is generated the entire broadcasting revenue, with so many expectations from them and with conditions and schedules handed to them on a platter, whether that contributes to the pressure they feel, which must be immense, far greater than what players of other teams feel.

In my view the match yesterday between AFG and PAK was the best one of the tournament. The fire and freedom with which the Afghan and Pakistani players played (and fought) was scintillating to watch. It's wild and it's thrilling and it's really good for the game. In contrast I never get that hungry, maniacal vibe from the Indian team. We have good and competent players, but they never seem to come together to become a team that's greater than the sum of its parts. In the Tests in Australia and England we had that vibe (likely because the conditions are unfavourable, the challenge testing), and it was great to see.
karanddd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 19:56   #15358
Distinguished - BHPian

very well said, and now Mr.Rahul will thrash the tired team, and then fail in next two matches against Aus/SA, but still travel to play in WC.
AtheK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 20:26   #15359
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanddd View Post
It's ridiculous how after yesterday's game, AFG have to travel to Dubai from Sharjah to play against India. While India get ample rest and the luxury to play every game in Dubai. The BCCI's sway over cricket means it controls everything and tries to get the best conditions and schedule for India, which makes it especially embarassing when we lose.
The schedule was decided before even knowing which team would qualify at what position. It is hard for Afghanistan indeed, but not because ACC favours India.
Old 8th September 2022, 20:53   #15360
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally Kohli gets his first T20I, hopefully he continues!

Bangladesh to Afghanistan, a long journey of 1000+ days.

Most Viewed