Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2023, 17:29   #16846
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
He was before my time and haven't heard much about any exceptional spell.
Unlike Gavaskar who is hailed a batting genius (among batsmen and fans) there isn't much mention of Kapil Dev except his one inning on 175 against Zimbabwe.
Seriously? Do you have to know something exceptional about Kapil Dev to certify him as a legend ? Please don't use this as an excuse, you can just do an internet search to get all the information/stats you want.

He took 9 wickets for 83 runs in a Test match inning versus West Indies who were then one of the best ever Test sides. That India still lost the match is another thing though. He was a true all-rounder - had superb bowling, batting and fielding skills and hadn't he taken that catch of Viv Richards in the 1983 world cup final, the story may have been different. Well, hadn't he scored 175 against Zimbabwe when India we're tottering at 17/5, we may never have made it to the final. We definitely owe a lot to him for the ascent in the ODI game, no one would have ever believed we could win the World Cup.

Last edited by NPV : 7th October 2023 at 17:35.
NPV is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 19:57   #16847
BHPian

Any opinions on Suryakumar or Shardul getting a game for India? Shardul did get a game is Afghanistan but I guess that's it? To be completely honest, Pandya gives you a pace bowling option at No 6 and Ashwin has to be one of the greatest spinners of this century.

And its good Kohli and Rohit are in form, just what we needed for the game tomorrow vs Pakistan!
Old 13th October 2023, 21:30   #16848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav07 View Post
Any opinions on Suryakumar or Shardul getting a game for India? Shardul did get a game is Afghanistan but I guess that's it? To be completely honest, Pandya gives you a pace bowling option at No 6 and Ashwin has to be one of the greatest spinners of this century.

And its good Kohli and Rohit are in form, just what we needed for the game tomorrow vs Pakistan!
SKY is backup for Iyer. Kishan is backup for Rahul. Unless they are injured don't see sky getting a game. If Gill is fit for India vs Pak then Ishan will warm the bench for sure.

Shardul bowling doesn't have that match changing effect. He only picks a wicket when batsman are going after him mostly and his Economy is usually too high for an ODI. He plays one decent innings in numerous matches. Don't know why he is picked to be honest. Toss up should always be between Shami and Ashwin. Wicket assists spin, play Ashwin. Wicket assists pace then play Shami who is a match winner on his own.

Also, please use the world cup thread for world cup discussions.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 04:38   #16849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Seriously? Do you have to know something exceptional about Kapil Dev to certify him as a legend ? Please don't use this as an excuse, you can just do an internet search to get all the information/stats you want.
Recently I attended a book release event and had the opportunity to listen to the speech of Professor Krishnegowda, he mentioned that today's generation's approach to modern perception is to defame or ignore popular people just to show that they have a different approach in life. In our generation small scores of 30's and 40's would change a match, unlike today's one-sided batting dominant matches. Can any old timers forget Kapil Dev's century against a lethal SA pace attack in Port Elizabeth? This comment is just like glorifying Dhoni's innings and completely ignoring Gambhir's fighting 91 against SL in 2011 WC Finals.
deehunk is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 12:53   #16850
BHPian

A massive shout out to all the Amdavadis on this forum for their stupendous support for team India against Pakistan.
It was absolutely a delight watching the crowd back their team.
I stand corrected, it will not be easy for other venues to beat this kind of intensity when India plays.
I am going for the India Bangladesh clash at Pune. Hope to experience the frenzy seen in Ahmedabad. While Pune can't make it in numbers, would be compensated by rhetoric.
Aloneatma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 13:18   #16851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

He took 9 wickets for 83 runs in a Test match inning versus West Indies who were then one of the best ever Test sides. That India still lost the match is another thing though. He was a true all-rounder - had superb bowling, batting and fielding skills and hadn't he taken that catch of Viv Richards in the 1983 world cup final, the story may have been different. Well, hadn't he scored 175 against Zimbabwe when India we're tottering at 17/5, we may never have made it to the final. We definitely owe a lot to him for the ascent in the ODI game, no one would have ever believed we could win the World Cup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Recently I attended a book release event and had the opportunity to listen to the speech of Professor Krishnegowda, he mentioned that today's generation's approach to modern perception is to defame or ignore popular people just to show that they have a different approach in life. In our generation small scores of 30's and 40's would change a match, unlike today's one-sided batting dominant matches. Can any old timers forget Kapil Dev's century against a lethal SA pace attack in Port Elizabeth? This comment is just like glorifying Dhoni's innings and completely ignoring Gambhir's fighting 91 against SL in 2011 WC Finals.
Relax guys. There is no malafide intention in the original post.
There is no conspiracy to defame or ignore Kapil Dev.
Should I have researched more when writing the post? May be.
Do I feel remorse for not doing that? Not exactly but I do apologize if I've hurt your sentiments.

Kapil Dev is the de facto WC winning captain, the OG of WCs. But sorry I haven't seen much of him, nor do any of my friends. I seriously do not research every single cricketer before posting on TeamBHP, nor do I think that is feasible.

Now if I've missed out on mentioning him as one of the legends, that's OK. I'm not the final authority in legend classification and I'm sure if I would have mentioned Kapil Dev someone might have been offended 'cos I missed someone else from the '83 squad. There is no end to this.

Also, praising X does not mean disrespect to Y. They are mutually exclusive things.
If I praise Kohli, I'm not obligated to wax lyrical about Sachin.
If I praise Dhoni, that does not mean disrespect to Gambhir.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 14:25   #16852
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Relax guys. There is no malafide intention in the original post.
There is no conspiracy to defame or ignore Kapil Dev.
Should I have researched more when writing the post? May be.
Do I feel remorse for not doing that? Not exactly but I do apologize if I've hurt your sentiments.

Kapil Dev is the de facto WC winning captain, the OG of WCs. But sorry I haven't seen much of him, nor do any of my friends. I seriously do not research every single cricketer before posting on TeamBHP, nor do I think that is feasible.
There’s absolutely no need to apologise and you haven’t hurt my sentiments in any way.
I was only responding to the part where you said you haven’t heard much about him and also you think Gavaskar is a legend but not Kapil. They’re from almost the same generation having played a lot together during their careers. In fact Gavaskar started and ended his career before Kapil though there was a good overlap as well. I was surprised you’d heard about Gavaskar but not Kapil, hence the mention about a quick Internet search.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 16:30   #16853
Distinguished - BHPian

International Olympic Committee announces inclusion of Cricket in LA28.

The Cricket Thread-f8i4h4ia4aaidts.jpg
Old 16th October 2023, 16:46   #16854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

They are proposing to have the T20 format and limited to only 6 teams though (of which one would be the hosts-USA).

Even the Asian Games had many more countries participating, with the Top 5 (India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh & Afghanistan) seeded to start playing directly from the quarter-finals.
Old 16th October 2023, 18:00   #16855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Read a news snippet that said Kohli's social media follower count was highlighted to show just how popular the game is
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 23:10   #16856
BHPian

Rohit Sharma issued three traffic challans for speeding on Mumbai-Pune Expressway

Traffic authorities reported that Sharma was driving at astonishingly high speeds, exceeding 200 km/h and even reaching 215 km/h at times

https://punemirror.com/pune/others/r...1697623008.htm
Old 23rd October 2023, 17:22   #16857
Senior - BHPian

If speaking one's mind is a crime, then I am guilty several times over

Bishan Singh Bedi, the Sardar of Spin has finally hung up his boots.

Known for his forthrightness that often led to him being portrayed as arrogant, Bedi was a successful turner of the ball - a bowler who left his indelible mark in international cricket.

May his irreverence, large heartedness and arrow sharp wit find admirers in the next world too.

Deep respects to the departed soul .

The Cricket Thread-screenshot_20231023171013603edit_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android.jpg

(Image Courtesy: Internet)
dailydriver is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 22:48   #16858
Senior - BHPian

Afghanistan has beaten sloppy Pakistan by 8 wickets chasing 283, and quite convincingly.

These are giant strides for Afghan cricket. They're no way some minnows in ODI cricket anymore after having now beaten two world champions in this WC. Happy to see the underdogs making brilliant progress that augurs well for world cricket.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 23rd October 2023 at 22:56.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 22:47   #16859
BHPian

What a performance by India today with both bat and bowl.
Batting first for the first time in the tournament on a tricky pitch, and defending a small total. Well done team India.

Rohit just getting better in WC. This was a very mature innings from him. It would've been epic if he had a century, considering it was his 100th match as a captain.

India bowling seems on fire lately. Bumrah - Shami combo on song was treat to the eyes. Setting up Ben Stokes was pure genius. Looks like we don't need Shardul Thakur's services anymore.

With Surya showing some form, only weak links are now Gill and Iyer 's form. Hope they will be on track soon.

Last edited by Asish_VK : 29th October 2023 at 22:51.
Old 29th October 2023, 22:59   #16860
BHPian

There’s a dedicated CWC thread available

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...world-cup.html (The 2023 Cricket World Cup)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks