Team-BHP > Shifting gears


Reply
  Search this Thread
2,582,847 views
Old 27th November 2023, 20:40   #16921
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,698
Thanked: 3,494 Times
Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Even if Ashwin has a great IPL, he should not be picked for WT20! Same mistake was made in that WT20 in UAE. WI pitches will also suit Axar & Washington Sundar.

+100
But I'm sure the Selectors will pick him as they're experts in mixing formats.

Iyer only be effective at no.3 or at no.4 I feel. But those positions are taken up by SKY & Tilak Verma. He seems to have worked on his intent & sometimes shows some urgency. I personally wouldn't select him in the XI.

We had Dhoni as a Mentor in that UAE WT20, but what happened? We should let go off Senior Players. They've enough scars from losing in knockout matches in the past decade. Its not that pitches in WI are very alien that younger players will struggle to adapt.

My Ideal top 6 would be:
1. Jaiswal
2. Ishan Kishan (depending on his form)
3. SKY
4. Tikal Verma
5. Hardik (if fit enough to bowl)
6. Rinku Singh
Sundar is made of glass like Deepak Chahar. Sundar hasn't done anything of note in white ball cricket with his bowling or batting. That's why I mentioned Ashwin who knows WI pitches and knows how to bowl and bat there. Shardul isn't in good form with bat or ball. He needs to shed some weight and improve his fitness which I am sure is harming his game.

I fully expect Gill to open cos management and selectors have no clue about formats. Just favorites. And if Rohit decides to play I expect Jaiswal to warm the bench. This is our reality.

If Iyer make runs in games before world cup I don't see Tilak getting selected over him. Iyer has done well before and he plays well on slow pitches.

Ishan should only be played as an opener. His game after power play takes a hit due to his weakness against spin. I don't mind him and Jaiswal both opening together.

Personally I don't want Rohit or Kohli to play T20 world cup no matter how much I like them. It's time we let youngsters prove themselves. If they win like Dhoni 2007 team did then it's great and if they don't, well we haven't won a trophy for last 10 years so what's the difference.

I am sure most selections will happen based on IPL which is everything for bcci and Indian cricket. Already these ipl trading news are making waves and people have forgotten about world cup defeat.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 22:05   #16922
PPS
Senior - BHPian
 
PPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,457
Thanked: 3,666 Times
Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Sundar is made of glass like Deepak Chahar. Sundar hasn't done anything of note in white ball cricket with his bowling or batting.
Agree that he doesn't have a great record in white ball format & has been injury prone for some time. But last I saw him he had worked on his hitting prowess & we've seen him do well opening the bowling as well. There's no doubt Kuldeep is the superior spinner. 5 specialist bowler theory won't work in WT20 just because it worked in 50 over WC.

Quote:
That's why I mentioned Ashwin who knows WI pitches and knows how to bowl and bat there.
I don't think WI pitches are drastically different than Asian pitches. Just that the Indian batting unit since past many years tends to struggle on slow pitches. Ashwin is nearing the end of his career & I would rather have him concentrate on Test Matches.

Quote:
Shardul isn't in good form with bat or ball. He needs to shed some weight and improve his fitness which I am sure is harming his game.
Agree about Shardul's form. But the problem is how many Seamers can really hold the bat? There's no real alternative apart from Shardul & Chahar. With no batting depth our batsman will tend to once again go into their shell like Virat/KL did in WC Final! Offcourse the T20 format is short, but you get the gist. Remember that 2021 WT20 SemiFinal against England where Rohit & Virat were batting at a strike of 100-120 & then Hardik Pandya provided that late flourish with a strike of 180+ . Some compromises will have to made if one wants batting depth!

Quote:
I fully expect Gill to open cos management and selectors have no clue about formats.
Gill being burdened with Captaincy in IPL, it will be interesting to see how he goes. He's just had a very good year in International Cricket but I feel he should concentrate on his batting alone.

Quote:
Personally I don't want Rohit or Kohli to play T20 world cup no matter how much I like them. It's time we let youngsters prove themselves. If they win like Dhoni 2007 team did then it's great and if they don't, well we haven't won a trophy for last 10 years so what's the difference.
PPS is offline  
Old 28th November 2023, 22:47   #16923
Distinguished - BHPian
 
AtheK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,007
Thanked: 8,265 Times
Re: The Cricket Thread

And this guy was the backup bowler in WC, absolutely club level.

While Maxwell does it again!! What a player!
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 10:24   #16924
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 364
Thanked: 2,969 Times
Re: The Cricket Thread

Who enjoys such games loaded in absolute favour of the batsmen?
Might as well replace bowlers with bowling machines. Horrible pitches.

That India Pak T20 WC match of 158 was far faaaar more interesting than such 225-230 games. Also, I wonder how our flat track bullies would perform in seaming and fast tracks in Aus, NZ, Eng, SA.

We saw how SKY performed on a tricky pitch in Ahmedabad. Wonder how others would fare.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 10:38   #16925
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 4,978 Times
Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
I really hope India crushes the Aussies in this bilateral. That should show the world that the WC final was just a bad day at the office.
Not sure how a victory in a zero stakes T20 series proves anything. Its not even the same type of cricket. The fact remains we lost the biggest trophy in one day international cricket while playing in our home conditions in front of a sell out crowd of 130k all of which were supporting the Indian team including dubious pitch tactics by BCCI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
But then we have to also reduce the weight of expectations on the team when it comes to ICC events somehow.
One way would be to stop being butt hurt at any and every defeat, take it as a game and move on. And for a change, we should watch other sports than cricket. Indian cricket board is many times richer than all the other cricket boards COMBINED, Indian cricketers are amongst the richest sportpersons on the planet. The fact that we cannot handle pressure is 100% on us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
And just there I realize that I am being a hypocrite. But the thing is, I support them no matter what. I was sad on last Sunday (and so was everyone else), but I support them and want them to get better no matter the result. If in the process of getting better we lose a few games, so be it.
I wasnt, at all. It was just a game. Infact for all the jingoism and chest thumping going on before the final, we needed a reality check. I am glad my adopted home country did what they do best.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 10:49   #16926
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,873
Thanked: 11,603 Times
Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am glad my adopted home country did what they do best.
What's the media reaction been like in Australia to the WC win? Was there a big deal? Saw the videos of Cummins' rather lonely return at the airport, but surely there was some sort of public acknowledgement after?

Here, everyone just seems to have forgotten there was a WC
am1m is offline  
Old 29th November 2023, 10:49   #16927
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,698
Thanked: 3,494 Times
Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Who enjoys such games loaded in absolute favour of the batsmen?
Might as well replace bowlers with bowling machines. Horrible pitches.

That India Pak T20 WC match of 158 was far faaaar more interesting than such 225-230 games. Also, I wonder how our flat track bullies would perform in seaming and fast tracks in Aus, NZ, Eng, SA.

We saw how SKY performed on a tricky pitch in Ahmedabad. Wonder how others would fare.
I don't get this flat track bully stuff. Everyone is a flat track bully in reality.
Which batsman is great against both swing and spin?
They all struggle and good ones just manage to score some.
Why don't we ask the same question to SENA players. How will those flat track bullies perform on our spinning pitches?

It's time we stop saying all this. Especially when our test team has done well abroad in last 5-6 years. In fact India is the best touring team in the world. I don't recall Aussies winning a tests series here in sometime when we have won last 2 at their home. Could have won England series too if didn't had to come back and not play that 5th test at that time due to covid.

T20 pitches are usually flat. No fun in watching batsman struggle to make 150. Bowling skills matters most in those 4 overs. Prasidh isn't a t20 bowler but again our selectors are trying to make every player all format. Sky bowling Axar in 19th over was a gamble and it nearly payed too but for Ishan Kishan blunders.

Last edited by harry10 : 29th November 2023 at 10:50.
harry10 is offline  
Old 29th November 2023, 12:02   #16928
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 364
Thanked: 2,969 Times
Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Which batsman is great against both swing and spin?
The fab 4 come to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
...How will those flat track bullies perform on our spinning pitches?
I think they just showcased that in the ODI WC. 3 out of 4 semi-finalist teams were not from Asia and the winner wasn't either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
It's time we stop saying all this. Especially when our test team has done well abroad in last 5-6 years. In fact India is the best touring team in the world. I don't recall Aussies winning a tests series here in sometime when we have won last 2 at their home. Could have won England series too if didn't had to come back and not play that 5th test at that time due to covid...
Oh no doubt about that! India is heads and tails above the rest of the test teams, save for the WTC trophy (like in ODIs). But we aren't talking about test cricket are we? You really think this T20 team can sustain against SA, NZ, Eng in their home conditions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
...T20 pitches are usually flat. No fun in watching batsman struggle to make 150. Bowling skills matters most in those 4 overs...
There are flat pitches and then there are roads which transform T20s in to book cricket. But hey, if you enjoy this, more power to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
...Prasidh isn't a t20 bowler but again our selectors are trying to make every player all format. Sky bowling Axar in 19th over was a gamble and it nearly payed too but for Ishan Kishan blunders.
Kinda makes one realize the importance of the original XI doesn't it?
The bowlers, the wicket keeper (OK may be not the batsmen, for these pitches) And that too in an inconsequential series, with nothing at stake, no pressure and honestly, no value (save for the books).


If people enjoy this type of batsmen favoured, mindless hitting cricket, hey give it to them.
I like a more balanced approach, perhaps give the bowler a semblance of chance. A 160-180 type pitch.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 16:26   #16929
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,698
Thanked: 3,494 Times
Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
The fab 4 come to mind.

I think they just showcased that in the ODI WC. 3 out of 4 semi-finalist teams were not from Asia and the winner wasn't either.

Oh no doubt about that! India is heads and tails above the rest of the test teams, save for the WTC trophy (like in ODIs). But we aren't talking about test cricket are we? You really think this T20 team can sustain against SA, NZ, Eng in their home conditions?

There are flat pitches and then there are roads which transform T20s in to book cricket. But hey, if you enjoy this, more power to you.

Kinda makes one realize the importance of the original XI doesn't it?
The bowlers, the wicket keeper (OK may be not the batsmen, for these pitches) And that too in an inconsequential series, with nothing at stake, no pressure and honestly, no value (save for the books).

If people enjoy this type of batsmen favoured, mindless hitting cricket, hey give it to them.
I like a more balanced approach, perhaps give the bowler a semblance of chance. A 160-180 type pitch.
My comments about flat track bullies was more for tests.
T20s I don't have hope from our team. Not in India cos we have 0 home advantage due to IPL inviting everyone to get a taste of our pitches( primary reason Aussies read the pitch and conditions so well in final). Outside India even less of any hope. Australia and England have better hitters and bowlers who are used to of bowling with variations in t20. Plus their fielding is better.
I don't enjoy mindless slogging. I just stated the fact that most people enjoy batsman hitting in t20 and broadcasters wants 180+ games so pitches are usually flat everywhere. We hardly get a swinging or spinning wicket in t20 be it in SENA or subcontinent.

West Indies pitches aren't what they used to be. I do watch some of Caribbean league and they are also high scoring games so I expect the same.

Kohli not playing t20 series against SA and may skip Afghanistan series too. So, is he not gonna play world cup or he knows even after skipping all games he is an automatic selection for it. If he wants to play world cup he should play Afghanistan series atleast.
harry10 is offline  
Old 29th November 2023, 21:11   #16930
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,698
Thanked: 3,494 Times
Re: The Cricket Thread

Rahul Dravid and support staff contract extended till t20 world cup 2024.

As per reports bcci first offered coaching position to Ashish Nehra who rejected it.

Although Dravid hasn't won anything of note with Indian team I still feel this is right decision as 6 months is a short time for new coach to make plans and implement them. Also team comradie in World cup was a sight to hold and I will credit that to Dravid and Rohit. Barring final we did perform well till then. Maybe Dravid will have a last hurrah with a t20 win. Who knows.

I think Rohit might be back as Captain with Dravid staying as coach. I will any day take Rohit as Captain than selfish Pandya as Captain of Indian team. If Rohit isn't continuing I don't mind SKY or Bumrah as Captain.
harry10 is offline  
Old 30th November 2023, 09:37   #16931
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 364
Thanked: 2,969 Times
Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Rahul Dravid and support staff contract extended till t20 world cup 2024.
....
I think Rohit might be back as Captain with Dravid staying as coach. I will any day take Rohit as Captain than selfish Pandya as Captain of Indian team. If Rohit isn't continuing I don't mind SKY or Bumrah as Captain.
There are strong possibilities of Rohit coming back as captain as the Board is apprehensive of Pandya's fitness. Pandya's ankle is still <100% and he is scheduled to make a comeback directly into the IPL.
Who know how his frail body will survive the IPL!

That said, if Rohit and Dravid are back, our top 3 will most probably be, again:
1. Rohit
2. Gill
3. Kohli

Unless Rohit and Kohli decide to hangup their T20 boots.
ValarMorghulis is offline  
Old 30th November 2023, 09:54   #16932
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,698
Thanked: 3,494 Times
Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
There are strong possibilities of Rohit coming back as captain as the Board is apprehensive of Pandya's fitness. Pandya's ankle is still <100% and he is scheduled to make a comeback directly into the IPL.
Who know how his frail body will survive the IPL!

That said, if Rohit and Dravid are back, our top 3 will most probably be, again:
1. Rohit
2. Gill
3. Kohli

Unless Rohit and Kohli decide to hangup their T20 boots.
Gill should no where be near T20 team. Again our selectors want everyone who is marketable to play all formats. Rohit comes back he should partner with Jaiswal. Attack from both ends in powerplay. Sky at 3 to keep momentum going. If there is early wickets then Kohli at 4 can steady it out. 5 will be Hardik if fit otherwise Iyer. 6 will be wicket keeper. Will it be Ishan who isn't a finisher, KL who has always failed when needed most or Pant on his return we will see. 7 should be Axar. Don't want Jadeja in t20 again who is failing a lot with bat. 8 could be Thakur or Deepak Chahar if fit. Makes a solid 8 batters to hit in 20 overs.

Don't worry about Hardik fitness. He is always fit for IPL magically.

IPL will decide the team combination. I am sure.

Last edited by harry10 : 30th November 2023 at 09:57.
harry10 is offline  
Old 30th November 2023, 11:20   #16933
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 364
Thanked: 2,969 Times
Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Gill should no where be near T20 team. Again our selectors want everyone who is marketable to play all formats. Rohit comes back he should partner with Jaiswal. Attack from both ends in powerplay. Sky at 3 to keep momentum going. If there is early wickets then Kohli at 4 can steady it out. 5 will be Hardik if fit otherwise Iyer. 6 will be wicket keeper. Will it be Ishan who isn't a finisher, KL who has always failed when needed most or Pant on his return we will see. 7 should be Axar. Don't want Jadeja in t20 again who is failing a lot with bat. 8 could be Thakur or Deepak Chahar if fit. Makes a solid 8 batters to hit in 20 overs.

Don't worry about Hardik fitness. He is always fit for IPL magically.

IPL will decide the team combination. I am sure.
Interesting. Even I'm sure IPL will decide the T20 WC XI.
Also, Rohit hasn't performed in T20s from the last couple of WCs and IPLs. Why is the BCCI adamant on him captaining the side?

Conundrums conundrums
ValarMorghulis is offline  
Old 30th November 2023, 12:34   #16934
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,698
Thanked: 3,494 Times
Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Interesting. Even I'm sure IPL will decide the T20 WC XI.
Also, Rohit hasn't performed in T20s from the last couple of WCs and IPLs. Why is the BCCI adamant on him captaining the side?

Conundrums conundrums
That's a easy thing. Rohit is from Mumbai. Bcci is highly influenced by Mumbai lobby. Rohit has lost us WTC final and World cup final. And they still want him as T20 world cup captain. Wasn't Virat removed citing he can't bring ICC trophies inspite of his captaincy number being one of the best in all formats. Now Rohit hasn't brought them too and still being persisted with is a clear indication of bias. Bcci can easily make SKY or Bumrah captain for T20 as they are no.1 performers in that format and assured of their spot in team. Rohit has been bad in T20i and even in IPL since some time as a batter.
harry10 is offline  
Old 30th November 2023, 13:27   #16935
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,698
Thanked: 3,494 Times
Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
That's a easy thing. Rohit is from Mumbai. Bcci is highly influenced by Mumbai lobby. Rohit has lost us WTC final and World cup final. And they still want him as T20 world cup captain. Wasn't Virat removed citing he can't bring ICC trophies inspite of his captaincy number being one of the best in all formats. Now Rohit hasn't brought them too and still being persisted with is a clear indication of bias. Bcci can easily make SKY or Bumrah captain for T20 as they are no.1 performers in that format and assured of their spot in team. Rohit has been bad in T20i and even in IPL since some time as a batter.
Found this on Reditt.
I forgot Rohit lost the t20 world cup 2022 as Captain too. Both will be remembered for being great batters for Indian cricket and still not able to win an ICC cup (unless Rohit is Captain for this one and wins it).
Attached Thumbnails
The Cricket Thread-img_0233.png  


Last edited by harry10 : 30th November 2023 at 13:28.
harry10 is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks