Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2023, 16:51   #16171
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I disagree, this is exactly the point Ashwin was making as well - why and who defines this ?
Team India has the capability and pool of talented players to defeat any team in any ground and this is precisely what many wish to see not just winning home series and losing out else where.
No offence to anyone but Ashwin would say that because he has achieved the greatness on these rank turners only. This is Ashwin's record.
Attached Thumbnails
The Cricket Thread-ashwins-record.jpg  

Old 24th February 2023, 17:30   #16172
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmaj View Post
No offence to anyone but Ashwin would say that because he has achieved the greatness on these rank turners only. This is Ashwin's record.
This is a fact and the stats don't lie, but all I was trying to highligh was the part that Ashwin questioned about Test pitches being conducive to pace on Day 1, 2, then helping spinners - who defined that Test pitches should follow this (predictable) pattern ? If this were the case, we would lose interest in Test Cricket too. And then he went on to say that all we are hoping for is a good game of Test Cricket and I so totally agree. I believe that Test Cricket is enjoyed best when the pitch has something in it for the bowlers and tests the skills of the batsmen, this is also a tough mental test and that is the essence of Test Cricket.

*I hope you have watched the Video clip of that interview.

Last edited by NPV : 24th February 2023 at 17:33.
Old 24th February 2023, 18:51   #16173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Team India has the capability and pool of talented players to defeat any team in any ground and this is precisely what many wish to see not just winning home series and losing out else where.
And why is that not shouted at other countries when India tour and lose. Instead blame is always the batsmen who can't bat or bowlers who didn't know the length to bowl to. Selective criticism is what is wrong. And again to reiterate both the pitches were by no means rank turners.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 20:00   #16174
BHPian

Talking of technique, in extremely favourable conditions to either spin or pace, sometimes out of the book technique can help you. Sehwag & Dhoni are big examples of this. Sehwag had a technique of his own and went on to become one of the greatest test openers of modern era. And Dhoni, there are two very little talked knocks, which made me a huge fan of him. It was during India’s tour of England in 2014 with Anderson & Broad at their very best in swing conditions.

4th test, 1st day, Dhoni enters at India- 8/4. I’m sure even the biggest cricket pundits won’t give any chance to him to succeed, but he plays in his own weird way. Final score- India- 152, MS- 71.

5th test, Again 1st day, Dhoni enters at 28/4.
Final score- India- 148, MS- 82.

Coming back to facing Ash & RJ, I think another batsman who batsman who deserves a mention is Gambhir. He was one of the rare left handed openers of modern era to be very strong against spin.
Attached Thumbnails
The Cricket Thread-3cbaac06d6244a9eab343cdf4871c4fe.jpeg  

Last edited by Aakash118 : 24th February 2023 at 20:05.
Aakash118 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 22:38   #16175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
And why is that not shouted at other countries when India tour and lose. Instead blame is always the batsmen who can't bat or bowlers who didn't know the length to bowl to. Selective criticism is what is wrong. And again to reiterate both the pitches were by no means rank turners.
Why should we shout at the others and not expect better from our team? First thing, this is not a criticism but fact. Indian won home series against SA, England and NZ in last couple of years but lost the series in both SA and England. They lost WTC final against NZ. I have no issues if you are fine by this however, I am not. This is no different than the Team India of 90s which used to be called “Ghar ke Sher”. Its true that some batsmen cannot bat and few bowlers cant adjust the line & length there it’s because they don’t get such environment at home.
Old 25th February 2023, 07:05   #16176
Senior - BHPian

Any idea where I can buy tickets for the ODI matches?
Old 25th February 2023, 07:08   #16177
KPR
BANNED

So Indian seniors are hell bent on retaining KL and what if he hits a century in dead rubber matches!? Again retained for years? Bad times ahead in Indian cricket.
Old 25th February 2023, 08:30   #16178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Any idea where I can buy tickets for the ODI matches?
For test matches, this time around, tickets are available on Paytm Insider. May be ODI tickets will also be available there.
avingodb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 09:59   #16179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
For test matches, this time around, tickets are available on Paytm Insider. May be ODI tickets will also be available there.
Actually even for Test Matches, it is only available for the 3rd Test!

Can't.plan anything with this kind of drips & dribbles approach from BCCI
Old 26th February 2023, 12:43   #16180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why should we shout at the others and not expect better from our team? First thing, this is not a criticism but fact. Indian won home series against SA, England and NZ in last couple of years but lost the series in both SA and England. They lost WTC final against NZ. I have no issues if you are fine by this however, I am not. This is no different than the Team India of 90s which used to be called “Ghar ke Sher”. Its true that some batsmen cannot bat and few bowlers cant adjust the line & length there it’s because they don’t get such environment at home.
We have won series against SA, Aus and Eng too in recent times at their home grounds. It is not that they lay out the red carpet for us when we tour. My grouse is exactly that we expect our team to always bend over and provide so called sportive pitches when its not same for us. To use your own words, you may be fine with that but not me. As the adage goes, be a Roman when one is in Rome. So adjust to the home condition when one tours and that is what shows the mettle of the players.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 14:57   #16181
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
We have won series against SA, Aus and Eng too in recent times at their home grounds.
India is yet to win a Test Series in SA & the last time they won a series in England was probably when Dravid was Captain, last Series ended in a draw! India have won twice in Australia which is a landmark achievement.
PPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 19:19   #16182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
India is yet to win a Test Series in SA & the last time they won a series in England was probably when Dravid was Captain, last Series ended in a draw! India have won twice in Australia which is a landmark achievement.
I stand corrected!
Old 26th February 2023, 20:41   #16183
BHPian

Oh a cricket thread ... great.

I used to be an avid follower, but stopped it and now it seems just a form of entertainment
aka WWF discovered to be WWE in reality.

When in a super over, Pakistan bowlers with years of practice and bowling with accuracy
at 100 miles/hour and they missing stumps 4 times in a row is more difficult to believe than aliens or phoenix or loch ness monsters.

Imagine professional bowlers ranked top in the world bowling since years, who can even hit a nail anywhere while bowling again and again, and them missing the entire 3 stumps sans any batsman, that too 4 times in a row, makes a marvel movies appear historical.

I know many will say MSD sat in front of stumps and other wicket keeper did not,
which is as far fetched as finding gold under a rainbow.

But yes its fun as a form of entertainment at times, just like OTT.
xway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 21:39   #16184
BHPian

Mighty Australia win their 6th WC with an impressive win on a slow pitch. Yet another case of ‘so near yet so far’ for the home team, must feel sad for them. Really wanted to see them win and upset Australia.
Aakash118 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 22:04   #16185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by xway View Post
I used to be an avid follower, but stopped it and now it seems just a form of entertainment
aka WWF discovered to be WWE in reality.

When in a super over, Pakistan bowlers with years of practice and bowling with accuracy
at 100 miles/hour and they missing stumps 4 times in a row is more difficult to believe than aliens or phoenix or loch ness monsters.

Imagine professional bowlers ranked top in the world bowling since years, who can even hit a nail anywhere while bowling again and again, and them missing the entire 3 stumps sans any batsman, that too 4 times in a row, makes a marvel movies appear historical.

I know many will say MSD sat in front of stumps and other wicket keeper did not,
which is as far fetched as finding gold under a rainbow.

But yes its fun as a form of entertainment at times, just like OTT.
Wow, interesting!!

Is there ANY sport that you think is genuine?

I've seen professional soccer players miss penalties, Roger Federer could win only 20 Grand Slams, Michael Jordan missed some easy dunks so none of them can be counted as sports(men) for sure.

Last edited by Eddy : 27th February 2023 at 14:24.
Eddy is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks