Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2023, 12:06   #16186
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by xway View Post
When in a super over, Pakistan bowlers with years of practice and bowling with accuracy
at 100 miles/hour and they missing stumps 4 times in a row
I suppose that's 3 times, not 4.

Also, to me it looked like they missed hitting stumps mostly because of [just my guess, don't want to debate on it] -

1. Their choice of bowlers they chose for the super over, who were more likely to miss - a medium pacer, a fast bowler trying to bowl like a slow bowler, which is not natural to him, and a leg-break bowler who will naturally take the ball away from stumps
2. Shoaib Malik, an off-spinner not bowling and to some extent, WK standing far away from stumps not helping their cause.

This is where MSK was smart, in his choice of bowlers - he chose 3 off-spinners who all bring the ball back towards stumps, and with short run-up, it's easier to control the line, meaning possibility of hitting stumps is more. He also had Robin Uthappa bowl, that was a brave decision, but it just worked.

Last edited by redCherry : 27th February 2023 at 12:11.
Old 27th February 2023, 13:26   #16187
BHPian

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...ticle-94205340

Preparation was the key difference between the two finalists. When this match came down to super over, I believe our bowlers were prepared for this challenge and it showed on the field. Pakistan on the other hand were bemused with this situation.

I have to confess though, there are many occasions where I felt a match was fixed, not by the players, but by the boards or even ICC itself. But this is one match where I find the explanations reasonable.
tchsvy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 15:15   #16188
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

England vs New Zealand 2nd Test at Wellington is poised beautifully. Despite a low score of 209 all out, New Zealand were asked to follow on and got 483 in their second inning!
England are 48/1, needing another 210 runs for a win.
Old 27th February 2023, 17:18   #16189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
England vs New Zealand 2nd Test at Wellington is poised beautifully. Despite a low score of 209 all out, New Zealand were asked to follow on and got 483 in their second inning!
England are 48/1, needing another 210 runs for a win.
After that brilliant fight by Williamson and Blundell what a school boy error by Bracewell. And his dad is a cricket coach who used to stress on proper running between the wickets. Pitch still looks good to Bat so 210 shouldn't be difficult for England unless Bazball fails for a change.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 08:24   #16190
BHPian

England need seven runs, NZ need that last wicket. Can Leach and Anderson manage this?
Old 28th February 2023, 08:41   #16191
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, what a win for New Zealand, by just 1 run. Test cricket at its thrilling best
Old 28th February 2023, 09:01   #16192
Senior - BHPian

What a win for NZ.
They desperately needed it after all the drubbing England did to them.

Harry brook run out was the turning point. And he is Rightly player of the series. What a player. Reminds me so much of KP. Would love to see him play in India end of the year.

This has to be the most memorable test match in recent times. One for the ages.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 09:48   #16193

Whoa. What a game, what a finish. A tie would have been the fairest result, but this world ain't fair.

I was rooting for England to win. Reason: If they lose a few more of these close matches in quick succession- there would be pressure on them, Baz to go back to conventional, orthodox methods. And I want them to continue their firebrand style of playing test cricket. It's so riveting and refreshing.
congruent.cars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 17:31   #16194
BHPian

Interesting take by Jarrod Kimber on the bazball approach.

For the TL;DR folks: Jarrod suggests, citing a few examples, that England have played well under Ben-Baz, but have had incredible luck too & that Bazball might have looked very different if the rub of green didn't go England's way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by congruent.cars View Post
I was rooting for England to win. Reason: If they lose a few more of these close matches in quick succession- there would be pressure on them, Baz to go back to conventional, orthodox methods. And I want them to continue their firebrand style of playing test cricket. It's so riveting and refreshing.
I don't think their approach is going to change until Baz & Ben are in charge. Both of them have continuously talked about losing the fear of failure & that their gung ho approach is going to succeed more than it fails. A loss or few shouldn't faze them.

Last edited by Shumi_21 : 28th February 2023 at 17:39.
Old 28th February 2023, 18:21   #16195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xway View Post
Oh a cricket thread ... great.

I used to be an avid follower, but stopped it and now it seems just a form of entertainment
aka WWF discovered to be WWE in reality.

But yes its fun as a form of entertainment at times, just like OTT.
Isn't any sport a form of entertainment, at least for the one's who are watching??. There is no other purpose in watching sport other than to be entertained. What entertains a person can be different, but the ultimate aim is that. I am not sure anyone watches any sport where they feel bored and not entertained. And while there were match fixing issues cricket is nothing like WWE, which is completely scripted. To believe that the sport that we are seeing is scripted would be an insult to the integrity of the players who sacrificed a lot, worked really hard to reach where they are. Just because there were/are a few bad apples we cannot generalise and cast doubts on integrity of all the players.

Many great players have made silly mistakes under pressure. Messi missed out on a slightly easy chance (by his standards) in 2014 WC finals. The less said about the chance missed by Higuain, who by the way is a good striker who normally would have score 9 times out of 10 from such a chance. Again Messi missed a penalty in Copa finals against Chile.

And I don't know if this is the case with everyone, but personally I am seeing less of cricket after the retirement of the Sachin, Dravid, Sehwag, Ganguly and lakshman, especially the first 3. Along with Kumble, these were the players who formed a major chunk of my late teens to mid 30's. It's as if some part of your cricket journey and enthusiasm also retired along with them. So yes I still follow every match on cricinfo, but job and family means less time watching.
Old 28th February 2023, 18:43   #16196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post

And I don't know if this is the case with everyone, but personally I am seeing less of cricket after the retirement of the Sachin, Dravid, Sehwag, Ganguly and lakshman, especially the first 3. Along with Kumble, these were the players who formed a major chunk of my late teens to mid 30's. It's as if some part of your cricket journey and enthusiasm also retired along with them. So yes I still follow every match on cricinfo, but job and family means less time watching.
Same with me. I guess each generation gets attached to a particular set of players from their generation and then move on. I have same thing with Tennis.
HappyRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 20:32   #16197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
This is exactly the case with me too. It also didn't help that I moved out of India a few months before Sachin retired. There have since been fewer opportunities to watch live cricket on TV, but then I haven't really bothered either.
Old 1st March 2023, 09:27   #16198
Senior - BHPian

KL Rahul dropped finally & Shubhman Gill is in
Attached Thumbnails
The Cricket Thread-18437e7cf5e64b24bd2cb673f420ffe9.jpeg  

Last edited by SoumenD : 1st March 2023 at 09:30.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 09:43   #16199
BHPian

Excellent start for Nitin Menon (From the Indian point of view). Missed 2 OUT decisions against Rohit Sharma on Ball 1 and 4 of the test match that Australia chose not to review.

And by the end of the 4th over, Gill has scored more runs than KL would have in both innings combined.

Last edited by antz.bin : 1st March 2023 at 09:48.
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 09:59   #16200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Excellent start for Nitin Menon (From the Indian point of view). Missed 2 OUT decisions against Rohit Sharma on Ball 1 and 4 of the test match that Australia chose not to review.

And by the end of the 4th over, Gill has scored more runs than KL would have in both innings combined.
And Rohit goes playing a T20 shot. I wish Gill scores a double and KL retires with it.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks