Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2023, 14:30   #16111
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by redCherry View Post
...By the way, below is something interesting data I could collect.
Consistently averaging of around 26, with no 100s for the past 3 years
No, I'm not infering anything out of it, just putting things into perspective
Perspective:
1. VK's record is on another level compared to KL. KL should not even be mentioned in the same book as VK
2. VK's 44 and ~20 in the last test was much more crucial than KL's last 10 innings combined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redCherry View Post
If an Indian test batsman cannot reach a career average of 40+ even after 8 years, I don't know what the talk of
'Anyone with potential will be given an extended run' by team-management means, ...
Sir Jadeja's career test average in batting is 37, while KL's is 33.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
While KL is still in the squad removal from VC role might be an indication that he won’t be playing the next couple of games. Atleast I( & am sure rest of india) am hoping for this miracle to happen.
We, the fans, can only hope for such miracles.

Last edited by ValarMorghulis : 20th February 2023 at 14:34.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 14:31   #16112
Senior - BHPian

While KL is still in the squad removal from VC role might be an indication that he won’t be playing the next couple of games. Atleast I( & am sure rest of india) am hoping for this miracle to happen.
Old 20th February 2023, 15:14   #16113
BHPian

Stats speaks for themselves.
Since Rahul made his test debut, you can see the stats for all the players in which Rahul played the game.

Note: Minimum runs scored - 500
Attached Thumbnails
The Cricket Thread-rahul.jpg  

kavensri is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 15:19   #16114
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeboy View Post
This is the worst Australian test team ever to have toured India. None of the batters have the techique to bat against good spinners on rank turning pitches. Also only one quality spinner Nathan Lyon is present in the Ausy team. So expecting a 4-0 drubbing for Australia in this series.
That's a very strong conclusion and I don't think it's true.

In recent times, most Test teams (especially the batting) have had serious failures against quality pace and spin as well depending on where the game was played, more so when the track has something in it for the bowlers. Also, in most of the test games that produce a result, it hasn't usually been a one sided drubbing (even if the scorecard suggests!). Just one or two bad sessions can mean the difference between a win and a loss. If only Australia had gotten to a decent 200-250 score in their second innings, India may have struggled and possibly even lost the game.

Remember the Adelaide test when India was written off after the 36 all out debacle ? Well, they came back strongly and went on to win the series.

I would never take the Aussies lightly and become complacent, they are capable of bouncing back. Also, remember these are very favourable home conditions for us.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 22:05   #16115
BHPian

It seems that Australia mentally lost the match before even taking the field. They abandoned their best strengths of fast bowling and relied on unknow territories with three spinners. Their top order batsmen tried unnecessary sweeps and revers sweep instead of trusting their techniques. They should have gone with fast bowling options because against Indian lower order, using fearsome fast bowlers always yield much than two newbie spinners.
Its never been easy for any lower order batsman to face Starc and Hazelwood in any ground in the World and interestingly it’s our lower order batting that won important sessions in both the tests. Come-on Aussie bring Starc in and show some fight!

Last edited by khanmaj : 20th February 2023 at 22:06.
Old 20th February 2023, 22:49   #16116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmaj View Post
Its never been easy for any lower order batsman to face Starc and Hazelwood in any ground in the World and interestingly it’s our lower order batting that won important sessions in both the tests. Come-on Aussie bring Starc in and show some fight!
Both Starc and Hazelwood were injured and hence were not available for selection.
kavensri is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 08:12   #16117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
That's a very strong conclusion and I don't think it's true.

In recent times, most Test teams (especially the batting) have had serious failures against quality pace and spin as well depending on where the game was played, more so when the track has something in it for the bowlers. Also, in most of the test games that produce a result, it hasn't usually been a one sided drubbing (even if the scorecard suggests!). Just one or two bad sessions can mean the difference between a win and a loss. If only Australia had gotten to a decent 200-250 score in their second innings, India may have struggled and possibly even lost the game.

Remember the Adelaide test when India was written off after the 36 all out debacle ? Well, they came back strongly and went on to win the series.

I would never take the Aussies lightly and become complacent, they are capable of bouncing back. Also, remember these are very favourable home conditions for us.
I still disagree with you. The present bunch of Aussie batsmen have very less skills against quality spin bowling on turning pitches unlike their predecessors. That is the reason why they could not even score around 200 runs in the 2nd innings. Steve Smith for eg. is a good player of spin but even he was struggling to play spin in this series. If you look at the previous Aussie teams they would take the fight to the Indian team in these conditions as they were skillfully and mentally strong. So I won't be surprised if they lose the series 4-0. It is highly unlikely that they have the players to fight back and beat India in next 2 matches. But having said that it is time India prepare good test match pitches to make it a even contest between the two teams so that the matches would go till the 4th or 5th day otherwise it would become boring to see matches finish inside 3 days and only one team dominating it.
Old 21st February 2023, 10:30   #16118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
What kinda question is this.
Obviously he will be available for entire IPL.
No Indian player misses IPL and are always miraculously fit for it.
Mark my words.
This is precisely what I was hinting at. Let us not forget Bumrah also missed the last World T20 owing to back injury.

These days players conveniently skip international fixtures citing various reasons- injuries, personal commitments, format preference. But when it comes to IPL, even the half-fit players take part and BCCI doesn't seem even a wee bit worried about this.

It's high time BCCI limits the participation of marquee players in the IPL. While IPL is certainly expanding India's talent pool unearthing young exciting players, foreign players are the ones reaping the benefits and the Indian superstars are rendered injury prone more often than not.

India's performances in the World T20s have been consistently sub-par. Curiously enough, after winning the inaugural edition, not even once Team India has managed to lift the coveted trophy since the advent of the IPL back in 2008!!
Old 21st February 2023, 10:34   #16119
Senior - BHPian

Warner and Hazelwood out of series and back to Australia.

I expect Starc to play next game in place of 1 spinner. Indore is a flat track usually so I expect better run scoring from both teams. For a change I hope India wins toss and bats. At this point even if Australia manages a draw it will be an achievement for them.
Old 21st February 2023, 10:34   #16120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeboy View Post
...But having said that it is time India prepare good test match pitches to make it a even contest between the two teams so that the matches would go till the 4th or 5th day otherwise it would become boring to see matches finish inside 3 days and only one team dominating it.
I'll try to channel a little bit of Ashwin through me, so cut me some slack

"What is a good pitch? Who defines it? Who said a good pitch should seam first day, bat for the next two and spin last two? Who makes these rules? Come on, we need to get over it. The Indian team has never complained about pitches in any of the tours".

I kinda agree with the maestro. Just because the bowl spins, it doesn't make it a bad surface. I've seen pitches greener than grasslands in Australia and England. The Indian batsmen have not once moaned about it.
Plus, there are T20s and ODIs already loaded in favour of the batsmen. Let then show some skill against the bowlers in one format.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 10:47   #16121
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
It's high time BCCI limits the participation of marquee players in the IPL.
Going by international/club football trends, the reverse is likely to happen in the long run.

And quite frankly, why not?

As a professional in any other field- if you had the choice between an assignment that was several times more lucrative, shorter, offered more slots to get a chance to play, meant you could spend less time travelling and living out of a hotel away from your family, and was a whole lot more fun and popular to boot, why wouldn't you choose that over a longer, harder, less lucrative assignment? (Let's leave aside the whole national aspect, mixing patriotism with cricket (or any sport).)

So if the Board, the players, and the advertisers are all happy with this arrangement, who is going to effect the change?

And I'm saying this as someone who doesn't watch T20, or even ODIs anymore, only Tests- but I think it's still a very logical choice for a player, especially when a professional cricket career might span 10 years at best, without injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
"What is a good pitch? Who defines it?
While I agree with the overall sentiment- a turning track is as fair as a green-top and both teams played on the same surface, still- 2 Test matches involving quality opposition finishing in 3 days, doesn't seem great to me.

Last edited by am1m : 21st February 2023 at 10:50.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 11:16   #16122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post

As a professional in any other field- if you had the choice between an assignment that was several times more lucrative, shorter, offered more slots to get a chance to play, meant you could spend less time travelling and living out of a hotel away from your family, and was a whole lot more fun and popular to boot, why wouldn't you choose that over a longer, harder, less lucrative assignment? (Let's leave aside the whole national aspect, mixing patriotism with cricket (or any sport).)

So if the Board, the players, and the advertisers are all happy with this arrangement, who is going to effect the change?
YES, Why not?

Players are free to choose whatever is best for their career and future, after all, they are also professionals. Let players decide and make it clear what their intentions are. But that's not happening. Time and again we have seen players claiming that playing for the national team is their topmost priority and dream. Who are they(players and BCCI) trying to fool?
Emvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 11:39   #16123
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
YES, Why not?
I am thankful that most cricketers and supporters dont think & agree to the logic mentioned here. And with Cricket, the reverse mentioned is less likely to happen. It is our assumption and media hype that we say cricketers took a break from National Duty so they can be fresh for IPL. Remember, apart from the money the biggest motivation to perform in IPL is to get noticed by the National Selectors. Playing for the country remains and will always be the top priority of any professional cricketer. Since IPL is also owned/managed by BCCI such assumptions by people outside the circle is bound to happen.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 11:46   #16124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
I am thankful that most cricketers and supporters dont think & agree to the logic mentioned here.
As you correctly say, people like me outside of the cricket circle don't know for sure about the attitudes of cricketers. (btw, if you are inside the circle, perhaps you could enlighten us further)

But as far as supporters/fans go, I think the crowds for IPL matches vs test matches, and the corresponding viewership and rates for advertisers during an IPL broadcast vs a Test says something.

Again, I am not against Tests, quite the opposite. I just think the trend is unmistakable, that's all.

Last edited by am1m : 21st February 2023 at 11:48.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 12:05   #16125
BHPian

Quote:
As you correctly say, people like me outside of the cricket circle don't know for sure about the attitudes of cricketers. (btw, if you are inside the circle, perhaps you could enlighten us further)
Hey, dont take it personally or feel offended. I am as well no where near to the "circle" I am saying it is our assumption that BCCI or the players themselves are unavailable for National Duty but somehow get fit during IPL. I understand past events have actually somewhere justifies these assumptions, but honestly and personally dont think such professional cricketers who have scarificed a lot, shed sweat and blood to be where they are would easily be swayed by money over National Duty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks