Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2024, 15:25   #17161
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Iyer deservedly getting the chop for the remaining Tests given his performances over the last games. I would like to see Jurel given a debut as Bharat has been the definition of average with the bat, albeit with the caveat that Jurel's glove work should be good enough to warrant a start as I have never seen him play before.

Akash Deep getting into the squad shows to me that we are mulling giving Bumrah a break at some point in this series even if we persist with a two seamer setup. Depending on the type of pitch on offer in Rajkot or Ranchi, it might make sense to go with one seamer and four spinners as a possibility as well.

Last edited by schumi_pete : 10th February 2024 at 15:50.
Old 11th February 2024, 03:58   #17162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by facelyft View Post
Here is format wise concern list.

T20 (WC is around the corner, so let me start with this format)
1. A dependable leadership group - go left field and probably ask Surya to captain now and probably groom someone else for future. Honestly I don't care much about T20.
2. A mentor/coach that fits the T20 format. Ashish Nehra would be a better bet
3. A reliable spinner who can play part anywhere in the world. We should try Sundar in all formats. I think he doesn't get a decent continuous run.
4. A genuine medium-pace allrounder: Pandya is the only option now, but I wonder what shenanigans he is upto. Unfortunately seems to be going in a more conflicting / self.destructive route than even Kambli.

Tests:
1. A leader: Rahul for medium term. Anyone else except Iyer. In fact Iyer should not be allowed anywhere near the Indian team in any format.
2. Keeper: Pant is best. He should be given a mandatory driver in future. Second keeper could be a younger option for the long term
3. Spinners: Kuldeep? Maybe Washington Sundar?

ODI:
May not be relevant for the next 2 years or so. However, this is the time to groom the next core team.
1. Skipper: Gill could be a long term option. Early days, but maybe Jaiswal.
2. Spinner: maybe bring back Chahal? Groom Washington Sundar?
3. Allrounder: None. Maybe Kulkarni from U19 ?
4. Pacers: perhaps invest in Umraan Malik? Ask him to play domestic longer formats. Select Siraj against SL

My suggestions at first thought are mentioned in line in above quoted comment

In other news, it looks like IPL has recruited Shamar Joseph. I hope they don't end up ruining such an exciting prospect.

Last edited by selfdrive : 11th February 2024 at 04:00.
Old 11th February 2024, 20:57   #17163
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations to the U19 Australia team on winning the 2024 U19 50ovr World cup!

Something in the way that Australians are brought up, when they come to the big match scenario, they perform at their best with relatively less stress. That's the only differentiating factor I feel. Just like the senior team, the unbeaten U19 Indian team are outplayed at the end in the Finals. Hope this experience makes these boys better.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 19:07   #17164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheChamp View Post
After he got the break, he partied with MSD and then appeared in KBC also.
I'm sure the BCCI doesn't take too kindly on current players appearing on TV shows after the verbal diarrhoea Pandya spewed on Koffee with Karan

Quote:
We don't know what information Ishan got but nobody axes his own chances at Indian team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Ishan has time to practice but not play a domestic game!
Seems to me he is practising for the IPL with the Pandyas at the expense of his red ball career. To be fair to Ishan, he would at best be a placeholder keeper in Tests until Pant returns. Guess it made sense for him to cosy up to the new MI captain and prioritize his 15cr a year IPL contract.

Meanwhile, KL is not going to be fit for Rajkot, so Paddikal comes in his place. Patidar will most definitely play while either one of Sarfaraz or Paddikal will come in for KL. Bharat will also most likely make way for Jurel. In any case, we're going to have a truly inexperienced middle order in a very long time. Maybe Rohit will prefer to play Sundar or Jadeja (if fit) in place of Mukesh to lengthen the batting line up.
Shumi_21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 19:10   #17165
Distinguished - BHPian

KL Rahul ruled out of third India vs England Test; Devdutt Padikkal called in. Ravindra Jadeja's availability isn't confirmed yet as pending fitness clearance.

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th February 2024 at 19:13.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 19:47   #17166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
I'm sure the BCCI doesn't take too kindly on current players appearing on TV shows
BCCI is real strict in what they perceive lack of discipline. Compared to other cricket boards viz. WI, SA many players don't even want to play for their country and for other boards viz. England, Australia, NZ adequate breaks are given without scrutiny.

But with BCCI, junior players are expected to follow a disciplinary routine as directed by selectors and team management. Play first class matches as asked, take break only when provided etc. There is so much abundance of players that every position, there are multiple player choices. So selectors can do that.

Quote:
Seems to me he is practicing for the IPL with the Pandyas at the expense of his red ball career. To be fair to Ishan, he would at best be a placeholder keeper in Tests until Pant returns.
He has not exactly set the IPL on fire either. I'm really baffled with his attitude. He was a choice for all 3 formats in Indian team and now that looks distant

Quote:
Meanwhile, KL is not going to be fit for Rajkot, so Paddikal comes in his place. Patidar will most definitely play while either one of Sarfaraz or Paddikal will come in for KL. Bharat will also most likely make way for Jurel.
I'm actually very excited with this. They are the future and should get opportunity. Hopefully one or more of Patidar/Sarfaraz/Paddikal clicks for India in long term.
Old 12th February 2024, 19:51   #17167
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
KL Rahul ruled out of third India vs England Test; Devdutt Padikkal called in. Ravindra Jadeja's availability isn't confirmed yet as pending fitness clearance.
Devdutt is a very talented youngster and deserves this call. Just couple days ago he scored 151 vs Tamil Nadu in the Ranji Trophy.
Old 12th February 2024, 22:08   #17168
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He was a choice for all 3 formats in Indian team and now that looks distant.
The only all format player currently in the Squad right now is Mukesh Kumar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
To be fair to Ishan, he would at best be a placeholder keeper in Tests until Pant returns. Guess it made sense for him to cosy up to the new MI captain and prioritize his 15cr a year IPL contract.
Ishan is the only known keeper in the MI squad. His performances may not be great but he's pretty much cemented his place in the MI XI, so not sure why he needs to cosy up to anyone!
Old 12th February 2024, 23:24   #17169
Senior - BHPian

Sarfraz is getting a debut for sure. KL injury came as blessing in disguise for him and he has 1 test to make a good impression as KL most probably will be back next game and he will sit out. He is considered an excellent player of spin so I am hopeful of good returns.

Padikkal deserved the call up though he will warm the bench but good for him.

As per some reports Jaddu is declared fit by medical team. That's excellent news. Will be a dilemma now. Drop Kuldeep or Axar. Axar makes batting look solid which is already inexperienced in middle but Kuldeep is bowling better. Or play both and just go with one pacer in Bumrah which is a good logical choice and what England is doing.
Old 13th February 2024, 10:17   #17170
Senior - BHPian

Bcci has issued a mandate to all players who aren't part of ongoing test series or rehabilitation at NCA, to join the respective state teams and play Ranji. It's compulsory and for once I will applaud bcci for doing a good thing for Indian cricket above their usual greed. Likes of Ishan, Pandya, Iyer, Deepak Chahar have no choice but to play Ranji now and not just wait for their cash cow Ipl.
harry10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 11:26   #17171
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Bcci has issued a mandate to all players who aren't part of ongoing test series or rehabilitation at NCA, to join the respective state teams and play Ranji. It's compulsory and for once I will applaud bcci for doing a good thing for Indian cricket above their usual greed. Likes of Ishan, Pandya, Iyer, Deepak Chahar have no choice but to play Ranji now and not just wait for their cash cow Ipl.
Mandate is fine, but what action will BCCI take against players who don't follow this diktat will be interesting to see. Ishan even if he doesn't play Ranji will still feature in WT20 WC Squad I assume. I'm pretty sure this mandate is not applicable to selective players like Hardik Pandya!
Old 13th February 2024, 11:34   #17172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Mandate is fine, but what action will BCCI take against players who don't follow this diktat will be interesting to see. Ishan even if he doesn't play Ranji will still feature in WT20 WC Squad I assume. I'm pretty sure this mandate is not applicable to selective players like Hardik Pandya!
Mandate is for everyone.
I don't know Hardik is fit or injured or rehabilitation is going on for him. His brother krunal will play Ranji after this mandate. Ishan will also play.

See, I am a huge critic of bcci and it's never ending greed but when it comes to discipline they do it effectively. Even Seniors like Kohli and Rohit have to abide by them and no one gets a free pass. Ishan said he wants a Break so he wasn't selected for t20 or the ongoing test series. If he doesn't plays domestic he won't be selected for further internationals too. Bcci won't let players revolt against them because no other board pays so handsomely as they do. If Ishan has any hope to make the squad for t20 world cup he needs to shed his Diva attitude and play domestic and then perform in IPL. Too many players are emerging and once you are out of favor with bcci your career is just reduced to playing domestic.
Old 13th February 2024, 14:23   #17173
BHPian

Quote:
Bcci has issued a mandate to all players who aren't part of ongoing test series or rehabilitation at NCA, to join the respective state teams and play Ranji.
Does this mandate extend to Vijay Hazare, SMAT too? The BCCI will have to manage the India players' workload really well to ensure they remain fit physically and mentally for them to give their best in Ranji, IPL & internationals. The risk of injury and burnout will be high, especially for the fast bowlers.

Quote:
Seniors like Kohli and Rohit have to abide by them and no one gets a free pass.
I hope the BCCI enforces the mandate on a case by case basis. Can't imagine a Bumrah going through a full Ranji season, followed by IPL and then being at his best for international games. Even Rohit and Kohli are 35+ and it's really not necessary to force them to grind in Ranji, despite Kohli's excellent fitness.
Old 13th February 2024, 15:36   #17174
BHPian

Perfectly summarised.
Attached Thumbnails
The Cricket Thread-screenshot_20240213153551_x-1.jpg  

Old 13th February 2024, 15:48   #17175
BHPian

Hope BCCI gets some qualified people to manage the physical condition of our players. Not sure if players need to work hard in the gym lifting heavy weights. Hearing lot of back strain or leg muscle strain kind of injuries !
Like bowlers/batsmen of yore you need to run a lot for exercise and eat nutritious food. Maybe do some yoga for flexibility and recovery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks