Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2024, 12:26   #17266
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Cummins, Hazlewood, and Starc hunt as a trio and have beautiful rhythmic actions, unlike Bumrah. The latter will always be more injury-prone because he is the sole go-to seamer and has a very stressful action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
...I don't understand the talk about Bumrah being rested repeatedly. He didn't bowl much in this test and we really need him. We can't lose any test. I am sure he play all the games in IPL
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
... So why not play Bumrah in Ranchi, seal the series and if needed then rest him in Dharamshala. Maybe Ranchi will be a spin paradise, then also as a lone pacer Bumrah will be gold.
All this talk of Bumrah being rested and him being over worked etc.
Let's compare some numbers.

Bumrah has so far bowled 80 overs across 3 test matches (in 29 days). He wasn't in the field for all those days either.
James Anderson has bowled 73 overs (in 2 test matches), and Mark Wood has bowled 63 overs (in 2 test matches) and have been pretty much chasing leather.

Compare that to Ashes 2023.
By third test (i.e. 23 days)
Pat Cummins - 106 overs.
Josh Hazelwood - 56 overs.
Starc - 66 overs

James Anderson - 77 overs
Stuart Broad - 116 Overs

By Fifth Ashes test (i.e 45 days)
Pat Cummins - 158 overs.
Josh Hazelwood - 111 overs.
Starc - 125 overs.

James Anderson - 140 overs.
Stuart Broad - 162 Overs.

Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown. Bumrah is our best bowler and should play all tests, especially when he isn't bowling that much.

Rest him only if he specifically asks for rest.
ValarMorghulis is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 12:41   #17267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown. Bumrah is our best bowler and should play all tests, especially when he isn't bowling that much.
While agreeing with your very good points about fast bowlers having bowled a lot more overs during the Ashes, perhaps the difference in temperatures at the venues plays a part too? I mean any sport in hotter, drier venues is far, far more taxing, even for professional athletes.

Plus, a fast bowler for our team is still a bit of a rarity, so when we unearth a truly world-class one, I can understand the sentiment to keep him wrapped in cotton-wool!
Old 20th February 2024, 12:42   #17268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All this talk of Bumrah being rested and him being over worked etc.
Let's compare some numbers.

Bumrah has so far bowled 80 overs across 3 test matches (in 29 days). He wasn't in the field for all those days either.
James Anderson has bowled 73 overs (in 2 test matches), and Mark Wood has bowled 63 overs (in 2 test matches) and have been pretty much chasing leather.

Pat Cummins - 106 overs.
Starc - 66 overs
Ashes is Australia's most important test series. Naturally, they will field their best bowling trio for all the tests and would not even think about resting one. Is beating England in India that kind of situation for us? To me, equivalent to Ashes for us is the Border Gavaskar Trophy, where we want to field our best 5 bowlers and they need to play all 5 tests. England is a mediocre team in India. It is another story when we play England on their home turf or if we are playing Australia. In India, against England, it does not make sense to bowl Bumrah in all five tests. The current English team does not deserve that kind of respect in my opinion .We should save him for the BGT and World Cup coming ahead.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 20th February 2024 at 12:55.
padmrajravi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 13:35   #17269
RMN
BHPian

Quote:

Pat Cummins - 106 overs.
Starc - 66 overs
Apart from Cummins, none of them play 3 formats consistently and some of them never do! Additionally, Burmah's body is fragile - that's a fact and he needs to be protected. As a professional, he should also be allowed to pursue franchise cricket, so simply asking him to stop playing IPL is pretty ignorant. If his physio or coach thinks that a break is important for him, he should get it. Haven't we all seen how fast bowlers with chronic injuries have had their careers cut short?

Last edited by ampere : 23rd February 2024 at 15:17. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
RMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 14:05   #17270
BHPian

I came across this guy coming across this post.

The Cricket Thread-screenshot_202402201400371.jpg
Shumi_21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 14:17   #17271
Senior - BHPian

Ideally Bumrah should play all 5 tests and skip few IPL matches if needed. But, we all know that's not gonna happen. So, he needs to be looked after as he is our main bowler for T20 world cup. Ranchi might be spinners wicket. Can play Siraj as lone pacer there if they are adamant on resting Bumrah. If 2 pacers needed then Akash deep can be handed a debut.
Old 20th February 2024, 14:21   #17272
BHPian

I feel crazy defending a player who isn't asking for rest!
It's the public asking for rest. If he does, by all means approve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
...Plus, a fast bowler for our team is still a bit of a rarity, so when we unearth a truly world-class one, I can understand the sentiment to keep him wrapped in cotton-wool!
Injuries are part of the game. What good did wrapping Pandya in cotton-wool do for us in the CWC 23, when he was injured? All the guy did was rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
...In India, against England, it does not make sense to bowl Bumrah in all five tests.
The current English team does not deserve that kind of respect in my opinion .We should save him for the BGT and World Cup coming ahead.
I agree with the part in bold. Hence I want Ind to oblitrate Eng. I want dominance. Mere sneaking a victory is passe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMN View Post
Apart from Cummins, none of them play 3 formats consistently and some of them never do! Additionally, Burmah's body is fragile - that's a fact and he needs to be protected. As a professional, he should also be allowed to pursue franchise cricket, so simply asking him to stop playing IPL is pretty ignorant. If his physio or coach thinks that a break is important for him, he should get it. Haven't we all seen how fast bowlers with chronic injuries have had their careers cut short?
1. No one is asking him to stop playing IPL.
2. All for rest for him-if HE asks.

There is a 12 day gap post BGT till IPL. Bumrah can rest all he wants.

Again: If he asks for rest, rest him by all means. If he wants to play, let him. He is the best judge of his body.
ValarMorghulis is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 14:27   #17273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I feel crazy defending a player who isn't asking for rest!
It's the public asking for rest. If he does, by all means approve!
Which public and where?
All I can see are posts all around social media advocating him to play all 5 tests. It's the bcci sources which stated before he will take rest for Rajkot match and now for Ranchi test.

Bumrah bowled total of 23 overs spanning 4 days in Rajkot test. That isn't the kind of workload which demands a rest. In comparison Wood alone bowled 38 overs which is a lot for a 145km pacer like him and we could see he was burnt out by the end. A 4 day rest is good enough for Bumrah to play next game if he and management are willing.
Old 20th February 2024, 14:44   #17274
BHPian

Quote:
Which public and where?...
Oh the public here (read last 3-4 pages), on X, FB etc.

Quote:
...It's the bcci sources which stated before he will take rest for Rajkot match and now for Ranchi test.
BCCI hasn't made any comment. It is all journalists through "sources".

Quote:
...Bumrah bowled total of 23 overs spanning 4 days in Rajkot test. That isn't the kind of workload which demands a rest. In comparison Wood alone bowled 38 overs which is a lot for a 145km pacer like him and we could see he was burnt out by the end. A 4 day rest is good enough for Bumrah to play next game if he and management are willing.
Exactly!!
Old 20th February 2024, 16:19   #17275
RMN
BHPian

Quote:

1. No one is asking him to stop playing IPL.
2. All for rest for him-if HE asks.

There is a 12 day gap post BGT till IPL. Bumrah can rest all he wants.

Again: If he asks for rest, rest him by all means. If he wants to play, let him. He is the best judge of his body.
1. Majority of the people here and even in social media are literally asking him to skip IPL and play internationals.

2. I don't think it's us asking him to take rest, the whole discussion or rumor originated when there was news that BCCI wanted to rest him for the 3rd test. If that was BCCI's decision, its clearly taking Bumrah's fitness record & physios opinion into account. Also note that even batsmen have been given rest every now and then.

So the whole discussion in this thread has been about if he deserves a break or not and personally, I believe he does given his fitness woes.
Old 21st February 2024, 10:17   #17276
BHPian

So Jasprit Bumrah has been given a break and KL Rahul is not fit for the 4th test. Seems like Bumrah was keen on playing all 5 games and the workload management system that the BCCI has in place also did not raise any red flags. The only (sensible) reason I can think of is that the management wants to give a go to Ranji performers like Mukesh & Akashdeep Nath before the BGT series in Australia later this year.

Meanwhile here's a refreshingly sarcastic take on Maharashtra's poor performance in this year's Ranji:

The Cricket Thread-ggyafqwa4aapsvm.jpeg
Old 21st February 2024, 12:16   #17277
BHPian

With Bumrah, I can understand why the BCCI is treading cautiously. The IPL follows this series and the T20 world cup starts just after the IPL.

They don't want to take a chance with Bumrah breaking down and missing the T20 event because India's chances will vaporize if he is out.
Old 21st February 2024, 20:36   #17278
BHPian

Or may be the reason for resting Bumrah could be, it indirectly indicates that the pitch at Ranchi will turn right from day 1, and there will be limited role for (or no need of) fast bowlers

I am inclined to believe this could be the case because they wouldn't risk not winning the series by not playing their premier fast bowler (and Shami, who is injured). So how do you ensure you win the series and still manage to rest your main bowler? Simple. Make the pitch spin-friendly and limit the role of fast bowlers to the extent that one of the other fast bowlers can take care of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
So Jasprit Bumrah has been given a break and KL Rahul is not fit for the 4th test. Seems like Bumrah was keen on playing all 5 games and the workload management system that the BCCI has in place also did not raise any red flags. The only (sensible) reason I can think of is that the management wants to give a go to Ranji performers like Mukesh & Akashdeep Nath before the BGT series in Australia later this year.
redCherry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 22:26   #17279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redCherry View Post
Or may be the reason for resting Bumrah could be, it indirectly indicates that the pitch at Ranchi will turn right from day 1, and there will be limited role for (or no need of) fast bowlers

I am inclined to believe this could be the case because they wouldn't risk not winning the series by not playing their premier fast bowler (and Shami, who is injured). So how do you ensure you win the series and still manage to rest your main bowler? Simple. Make the pitch spin-friendly and limit the role of fast bowlers to the extent that one of the other fast bowlers can take care of that.
Both the pitches at Hyderabad and Rajkot were flat, especially the former. It is only at Vizag where the surface surprised us with the consistent and true bounce it offered. Bumrah is a genius where he can prise out wickets and break partnerships with his sharp cricketing brain.

Notwhithstanding the nature of the surface at Ranchi, it would have made sense to keep the bowling attack unchanged. Siraj and Bumrah pair well and as it is, a fourth spinner will end up being underbowled.
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 10:22   #17280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redCherry View Post
Or may be the reason for resting Bumrah could be, it indirectly indicates that the pitch at Ranchi will turn right from day 1, and there will be limited role for (or no need of) fast bowlers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
...Notwhithstanding the nature of the surface at Ranchi, it would have made sense to keep the bowling attack unchanged. Siraj and Bumrah pair well and as it is, a fourth spinner will end up being underbowled.
Rank tuners hurt India more than Eng.

On rank turners even mediocre English spinners come in to play because they hardly have to do anything except pitch the ball.

On good pitches where there is slow turn and bounce, a spinners craft and experience comes in to play. That's where Jaddu, Kuldeep and Ash are leagues ahead and the difference is there for everyone to see.

Don't make rank turners
ValarMorghulis is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks