Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2023, 20:49   #16516
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
There were a couple of reverse scoops that Root did against the likes of Boland and Cummins. Sent them for 6. Such audacious batting by Root.
As much am enjoying bazball, I have to admit I didn't like Root playing such shots. Those look great but there are very few players left in cricket world who play classy cricketing shots and Joe is one of them. Hope he doesn't change his style completely.
Old 18th June 2023, 16:52   #16517
BHPian

The CWC qualifiers are underway and West Indies do not last their quota of 50 overs against USA.

They desperately need a player with a temperament to bat through the entire innings.
Old 20th June 2023, 23:39   #16518
Team-BHP Support

Test cricket is BORING, they say!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 23:57   #16519
BHPian

What an intense game. England was leading almost on all 5 days. First innings declaration will be questioned now. And what a fight back from Aussies. Minor dent to bazball ! Is it gonna be a replica of 2005 Ashes

Test at its best.

Last edited by NomadSK : 20th June 2023 at 23:59.
NomadSK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 23:58   #16520
BHPian

I don't know why, but I was rooting for aussie win for the first time in my life!
kavensri is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 00:03   #16521
BHPian

I am not at all a fan of Aussie cricket team, but, for some unexplainable reason, I am happy to see England lose the way they have!

It was an absolute thriller of a match!
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 00:04   #16522
Senior - BHPian

And I was hoping Eng pulls off a win.

In the end, it was Test Cricket that won. Fantastic match. Both sides being stubborn on their respective style of test cricket, and taking it to the last 15 minutes of the 5th day is the recipe for making such matches epic.
Old 21st June 2023, 00:13   #16523
Team-BHP Support

Test cricket in India can never be as exciting consistently.

The grounds & pitches
The crowds
The coverage
The commentary
The timings (you can watch 2 sessions after work in IST)

And the fact that you are watching almost as a netral.

Lovely. Looking forward to next one
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 06:25   #16524
KPR
BANNED

Seeing this test match between Aus vs Eng I must admit that Sharmaji and his boys played against Cummins and his men in WTC. Let me treat Ashes as WTC final series then.
Old 21st June 2023, 07:06   #16525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I don't know why, but I was rooting for aussie win for the first time in my life!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
I am not at all a fan of Aussie cricket team, but, for some unexplainable reason, I am happy to see England lose the way they have!
Same here. I am not a fan of either side but wanted AUS to win, probably due to ENG's first innings declaration.
Old 21st June 2023, 10:16   #16526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
The crowds
Was lovely to hear the crowd applaud every time a tail ender took a single

Amazing stuff.
Old 21st June 2023, 11:25   #16527
Senior - BHPian

Cummins was an excellent choice as Captain for Aussies. Ice cool in the chase. Never flinched, never went over aggressive, rotated strike and made sure Lyon plays as less as possible. Very Sensible stuff which is rarely seen these days of Bazball stuff.

Khawaja was great both innings and Rightly Player of the match. Robinson is really stupid to sledge him both innings when he is bowling his dibbly dobbly 125-130 speed.

Lyon picked 8 wickets in the game (maximum by any bowler both side). But, Indian Management is still wondering how can an off spinner pick wickets in England. Plus he made valuable runs in that partnership which sealed the game. Shows how right selections make win or loss decisions.

So,
Aussies- 1
Bazball- 0

Oh and yeah England media and fans still defending that first day declaration. They don't get a simple fact. A drawn game would have given them useful WTC points or they might have even won with 50 more runs who knows. Declaring on first day on a surface and conditions which were favorable for batting is a really stupid Captaincy decision.
harry10 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 13:17   #16528
BHPian

Isn’t it perplexing that the captain of both the test teams opted out of the IPL 2023 (one well in advance and one during the tournament), which shows they both knew their priorities well in advance, which we Indians generally lack.

End result – We had a fantastic start to the Ashes. WTC was a friendly/warm-up game for Aussies.
NomadSK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 14:13   #16529
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Test cricket in India can never be as exciting consistently.
The pitches in England/Australia/SA have a lot to do with it! If you ensure there's a contest between bat & ball, there's bound to be a good game. In India, Tests get over on the 3rd day with Spinners taking truckloads of wickets! Coming back to the Ashes, Australia managed to win without much of a contribution from Smith & Marnus, something which England will be worried about going ahead.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 14:27   #16530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
Isn’t it perplexing that the captain of both the test teams opted out of the IPL 2023 (one well in advance and one during the tournament), which shows they both knew their priorities well in advance, which we Indians generally lack.
I disagree to the part in bold above.
We too know our priorities, and that's IPL for us, and that's not going to change unfortunately

On this Ashes series, I believe Australia will do well, after the good practice session they had in the WTC, but I think by the end of the series they may be tired due to this long series (WTC + Ashes) and it might turn out to be advantage England
redCherry is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks