Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2023, 12:06   #16561
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

A fantastic test match which clearly showed that the Aussies are a hard bunch of players to don't relent, ever. Fitting that they won the WTC finale as well. Their bowlers, batsmen and fielders are never short of intensity.

All this brouhaha about "spirit of cricket" coming from either of these teams is a bit rich.
As long as the rules say it is valid, hey, it is valid.

So I'm all for the JB's runout. Great presence of mind by Carey.

The English need to know that they have to stay within the crease, be it at the striker's or non-striker's. They just can't saunter out like it's their pitaji's lawn.

IMO, Ashes would be 4-0 or 4-1 in Aussie's favour.
All this Bazball might work against weaker teams, but it won't against Aussies and India (in India) :P
ValarMorghulis is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 16:18   #16562
Team-BHP Support

He's crying now, but Bairstow himself attempted the same runout/stumping against Labuschagne earlier in the series (he missed the stumps).
Old 3rd July 2023, 16:58   #16563
BHPian

I didn't see the stumping and thought there could be some meat in the controversy given the hue and cry. But when I saw the video there is nothing controversial about it. The WK just threw the ball as soon as he collected in one swift motion. So absolutely no scope for discussion whether ball is in play or not unless the umpires specifally ruled the over as complete.
Old 3rd July 2023, 17:41   #16564
Senior - BHPian

Funniest part was Broad telling Carey you will only be remembered for this dismissal in your career. Forgetting he himself is remembered for 3 brilliant memories-

1. 6 sixes.
2. Didn't walked after knicking ball clearly which made a huge controversy.
3. Bumrah hitting him for 35 which remains costliest over ever in Test cricket till date.

England had all things going in favor of them in both games. They just messed up playing proper cricket when needed. Bairstow has played 90 tests and still makes the Dumbest mistake in recent history. Stokes innings was fun to watch. Great effort to get them close but repeating Headingly is a herculean task.

Lyon will be missed. Murphy was great in India series so I am keen to see how he goes against Bazball. Cummins has to be given a lot of credit for making this Australian team a very good one. One of Anderson or broad should miss next game. Mark wood should play. Robinson can also be dropped for Woakes. England need to win next game somehow otherwise this will become a boring series there on.
Old 3rd July 2023, 18:09   #16565
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
England had all things going in favor of them in both games. They just messed up playing proper cricket when needed.
The first innings usually defines more or less how the game will progress. I thought England were just playing catch up after they conceded a 100 odd run lead. Australia also got a decent score in their second inning. It's quite rare to see teams successfully chase in excess of 300 in the last inning. Stokes did play well, but he was taking chances with the big hits so it was a gamble that was nice till it lasted. Of course, not taking away anything from him for that gem of a knock
Old 3rd July 2023, 18:29   #16566
Distinguished - BHPian

Both test matches have been fun and engrossing, unlike certain one team who will more often then not just fold in one session while chasing big targets. Captain of this team has hardly played any knock to help his team, and others follow the captain.

Last edited by AtheK : 3rd July 2023 at 18:30.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 18:43   #16567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Both test matches have been fun and engrossing, unlike certain one team who will more often then not just fold in one session while chasing big targets. Captain of this team has hardly played any knock to help his team, and others follow the captain.
While I understand the emotion and hurt, I quite disagree with the portrayal.

After all, that team did reach the finals of the WTC for 2 consecutive cycles. And that team also won the ICC Test mace for 3 consecutive years from 2017 to 2019 while being the ICC number-1 ranked test team for 5 consecutive seasons.

That team also hasn't lost to Australia in bilateral tours since 2016 either in Australia or their home.

So, while that team is yet to win a WTC championship or ICC trophy since a decade, it is no slouch either
ValarMorghulis is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 18:47   #16568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
While I understand the emotion and hurt, I quite disagree with the portrayal.

After all, that team did reach the finals of the WTC for 2 consecutive cycles. And that team also won the ICC Test mace for 3 consecutive years from 2017 to 2019 while being the ICC number-1 ranked test team for 5 consecutive seasons.

That team also hasn't lost to Australia in bilateral tours since 2016 either in Australia or their home.

So, while that team is yet to win a WTC championship or ICC trophy since a decade, it is no slouch either
Ya team under Kohli was amazing he should have not been removed as test captain honestly. Anyway, looking at how Australia is playing again no matter which team would have been in front of them, they would have most probably lost.

What hurts more is the stubborn selectors still refuse to make changes and think ahead, making rahane the VC is probably the biggest example of any lack of vision.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 19:58   #16569
ike
BHPian

Quote:
What hurts more is the stubborn selectors still refuse to make changes and think ahead, making rahane the VC is probably the biggest example of any lack of vision.
There were not a lot of options for vice captaincy I felt. My obvious choice would have been Shreyas Iyer or Pant, unfortunately both of them not around for now. Gill is still a greenhorn and none of the bowlers are ready for leadership roles yet I think. Ashwin is a very good thinker but I'd rather have him as captain.

Last edited by ike : 3rd July 2023 at 19:59.
Old 3rd July 2023, 20:58   #16570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
There were not a lot of options for vice captaincy I felt. My obvious choice would have been Shreyas Iyer or Pant, unfortunately both of them not around for now. Gill is still a greenhorn and none of the bowlers are ready for leadership roles yet I think. Ashwin is a very good thinker but I'd rather have him as captain.
Ash should have been test captain when Kohli opted put. He should be first name on the sheet, has the finest thinking brain in World cricket and performs 9 times out of 10 unlike the dead weights we have been carrying since long in the name of superstars.

And right now was perfect opportunity for him to be made VC as well but dumb selectors and not caring bcci did as expected.

I am not happy with Rahane as VC. But I hope he shows good form and performs as he atleast played domestic for few matches unlike others who have been below average since long. Atleast till Shreyas and Pant are back.

On a side note now Rishi Sunak is stating Aussies didn't played in Spirit of the game. England has become a laughing stock with these idiotic spirit comments by fans and alike. I am glad Aussies are giving them a reality check of their Bazball crap which worked against weaker teams on shitty batting pitches. I expect England being humiliated in India too next year.

Last edited by harry10 : 3rd July 2023 at 21:02.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 21:14   #16571
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Which is irony of sorts when we keep harping that we can field three different teasm for three different formats at any given point of time. Rahane, Sharma, Pujara should have been shown the door. Kohli can hang around for sometime purely because of his love for test cricket and has shown some amount of form recently.

Quote:
Ash should have been test captain when Kohli opted put. He should be first name on the sheet, has the finest thinking brain in World cricket and performs 9 times out of 10 unlike the dead weights we have been carrying since long in the name of superstars.

And right now was perfect opportunity for him to be made VC as well but dumb selectors and not caring bcci did as expected.
Why VC he should have been made the captain, he totally deserves to be the captain and Jadeja could have been the VC with both Rohit and Rahane sitting at home. WI is such a weak team right now, this was the time to groom new kids, not against tougher teams. If only I can make some logic out of this backward thinking selectors.
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 21:47   #16572
Senior - BHPian

Former world champs fail to qualify for World Cup 2023!

The Cricket Thread-20230703_214720.jpg
Old 3rd July 2023, 21:53   #16573
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

Why VC he should have been made the captain, he totally deserves to be the captain
I agree that Ashwin is a great bowler with fantastic cricketing instincts, however since he is in the twilight years of his career (spinners have longer shelf life and he can play for few more years if they pick him) giving captaincy and vice captaincy to someone younger makes better sense to me. Having said that, Rohith Sharma has neither the fitness nor the instincts to be a good captain like Kohli or MSD. I'd have Ashwin as captain over him any day.
Old 3rd July 2023, 23:29   #16574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why VC he should have been made the captain, he totally deserves to be the captain and Jadeja could have been the VC with both Rohit and Rahane sitting at home. WI is such a weak team right now, this was the time to groom new kids, not against tougher teams. If only I can make some logic out of this backward thinking selectors.
Quote:
I agree that Ashwin is a great bowler with fantastic cricketing instincts, however since he is in the twilight years of his career (spinners have longer shelf life and he can play for few more years if they pick him) giving captaincy and vice captaincy to someone younger makes better sense to me. Having said that, Rohith Sharma has neither the fitness nor the instincts to be a good captain like Kohli or MSD. I'd have Ashwin as captain over him any day.
Where will we find a young Captain.

Selectors don't select performing youngsters in domestic.
If my mistake they do select a young one team management makes sure he carries drinks for a couple of series while seniors keep shitting the bed and then drop that youngster from the squad without any explanation. Then our Captain and Coach will come out chest thumping that we have learned so much from these losses and this is a long term process and what not BS.

If Iyer and Pant were fit and playing one of them could have been Captain. But that isn't happening soon. Ash can play atleast 2-3 years more and can be a fine Captain but selectors and management won't do it.

Logically and statically Rohit, Rahane, Pujara and even Kohli should have been dropped and others given chance to make team for the future. But, who cares when BCCI, officials, players are busy minting money through IPL. Let ICC trophy cabinet stay bare for more years.

BCCI is such a greedy and rubbish organization they are making a law which will prevent ex India players to play in foreign leagues. Shameful disgusting behaviour as usual.

Just by form, Ash should be test Captain, Jaddu should be VC. Won't happen.

Last edited by harry10 : 3rd July 2023 at 23:30.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 00:43   #16575
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Logically and statically Rohit, Rahane, Pujara and even Kohli should have been dropped and others given chance to make team for the future.
You cant drop all four together. Two right now, and two once the new ones settle in.

---------

I am quite sure of this - Sarfaraz Khan is NOT the answer to our dependable middle order batter.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks