Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2017, 18:15   #9061
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
Probably Bangladesh made a record - Losing a match after scoring 500+ runs in 1st innings.

Sad for them - but their inexperience and lack of maturity shows.
Absolutely. And that partnership is now second highest in a loosing cause.

Till evening of fourth day neither side had begun their second innings and by end of fifth, the match was done and dusted. Probably the injuries took a toll on their morale.
Old 19th January 2017, 16:42   #9062
Senior - BHPian

Vintage Yuvi on Display today. Those drives were a treat to watch. A throwback to his heydays.
Old 19th January 2017, 22:13   #9063
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Another good match that produced more than 700 runs! This was a retro Yuvi-Dhoni batting show.

While an English victory seemed remote from a statistical point of view, they came quite close and did cause a lot of discomfort till the last over. Every new batsman seemed to have the prowess to hit big shots until David Willey came on strike
Old 19th January 2017, 22:35   #9064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Another good match that produced more than 700 runs! This was a retro Yuvi-Dhoni batting show.

While an English victory seemed remote from a statistical point of view, they came quite close and did cause a lot of discomfort till the last over. Every new batsman seemed to have the prowess to hit big shots until David Willey came on strike
Willey is actually a very gud striker and has scored a 40 something ball century also..
Seems like even 400 won't be safe now on.
Old 19th January 2017, 23:38   #9065
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Vintage Yuvraj on display today! Some of those shots reminded me of his debut against Australia in Nairobi, that was quite some ages back!
This obsession with giving Pandya too many overs has to stop & that extra over given to Jadhav also was needless.
Old 20th January 2017, 03:43   #9066
Senior - BHPian

I am not really sure who likes the spectacle of seeing bowlers getting hammered not because the batsmen are good but the pitch is dead as a dodo, because quite frankly I do not. It is not an equal contest. ODI's especially in India are getting ridiculous with these high scores becoming the new norm. How are we ever going to produce great fast bowlers with pitches like these?

Last edited by extreme_torque : 20th January 2017 at 03:44.
Old 20th January 2017, 04:40   #9067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am not really sure who likes the spectacle of seeing bowlers getting hammered not because the batsmen are good but the pitch is dead as a dodo, because quite frankly I do not. It is not an equal contest. ODI's especially in India are getting ridiculous with these high scores becoming the new norm. How are we ever going to produce great fast bowlers with pitches like these?
You are right sir, now a days its not an even contest between bat and ball. It just turns into a slog fest with these kinds of totals being scored. However its not only in India that totals like these have become a norm. Two highest successful run chases have been out of India.
Old 20th January 2017, 06:15   #9068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Two highest successful run chases have been out of India.
Those are exceptions rather than the norm. Look at the series between Australia and Pakistan. Batsmen are easy heros if you know what I mean and the bowlers are villans unless you are really really good in your craft. It is heavily lopsided.
Old 20th January 2017, 11:17   #9069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Those are exceptions rather than the norm. Look at the series between Australia and Pakistan. Batsmen are easy heros if you know what I mean and the bowlers are villans unless you are really really good in your craft. It is heavily lopsided.
I do get your gist. But all I wanted to point out was that its not just in India that you see such high scores. For eg. got this stat from Cricinfo.

Of the Top 5 ODI scores, 1 is in England, 1 in Scotland, 2 in SA and 1 in India.

If you consider top 10, 3 are in India, 4 are in SA, One in Aus, 1 in England and scotland each.

Of the 100 instances of team scores equal or more than 350, Highest is in India with 26. SA is close behind with 20 scores on or above 350. England, Australia and NZ next in line with 10,9 and 8 scores each respectively.

As you can see the trend for high ODI scores is there world wide but skewed towards India and SA. Ofcourse India getting more matches than other places will have more instances if you look at the absolute numbers, but SA is not too close behind.
Old 20th January 2017, 11:20   #9070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I do get your gist. But all I wanted to point out was that its not just in India that you see such high scores. For eg. got this stat from Cricinfo.

Of the Top 5 ODI scores, 1 is in England, 1 in Scotland, 2 in SA and 1 in India.

If you consider top 10, 3 are in India, 4 are in SA, One in Aus, 1 in England and scotland each.

Of the 100 instances of team scores equal or more than 350, Highest is in India with 26. SA is close behind with 20 scores on or above 350. England, Australia and NZ next in line with 10,9 and 8 scores each respectively.

As you can see the trend for high ODI scores is there world wide but skewed towards India and SA. Ofcourse India getting more matches than other places will have more instances if you look at the absolute numbers, but SA is not too close behind.
You cannot argue with number.s But to me a better metric would be the average score in the first and second innings of an ODI for the last 3-4 years rather than just the highest score scored.
Old 20th January 2017, 12:28   #9071
Senior - BHPian

That will take a lot more effort. Let me see if I can get those statistics.
Old 20th January 2017, 13:21   #9072
Distinguished - BHPian

The most important contribution of Yesterday's match came from our openers. India won by 15 runs and the openers scored 16runs. If not for them we would've lost. So its important that we have Shikhar Dhawan in the team for many more years to come.

Mods: Please move it to the Jokes thread if you feel it is more apt there

Last edited by SDP : 20th January 2017 at 14:51. Reason: lost -> won
Old 20th January 2017, 14:05   #9073
Team-BHP Support

I am hoping that we can get Manish Pandey to open in the 3rd ODI.
Old 20th January 2017, 23:09   #9074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I am hoping that we can get Manish Pandey to open in the 3rd ODI.
I got a feeling we may see rahane open in next match.
Old 20th January 2017, 23:17   #9075
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I got a feeling we may see rahane open in next match.
Manish Pandey or Rahane but not Dhawan again
Someone shared this joke recently...
Quote:
Who is Shikhar Dhawan??

The one who gets out on Star sports before toss on hotstar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks