Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2016, 17:31   #8911
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

I have to ask why Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma and Ravindra Jadeja ever get picked for the Test team. At least Jadeja is a decent bowler in Indian test conditions where a lot of the pitches are dust bowls and suit his style of bowling. Dhawan and Rohit have a habit of scoring a 50 or so in one match when everyone is questioning them and then resting on those laurels for the next 19 matches doing sweet F all. I do understand them for the ODI and T20 teams, but never for tests. None of them have the temperament or technique. I don't understand what the selectors see in them
Old 2nd October 2016, 18:27   #8912
Team-BHP Support

Talent is a certainty for all the remaining home test matches. Well done :X
Old 6th October 2016, 09:20   #8913
Distinguished - BHPian

4 injuries to the Indian team in the current series. I was wishing for a whitewash...hope these injuries don't spoil that.

Ishant Sharma...Chikungunya...
KL Rahul...Hamstring injury...Replaced by G Gambhir
Shikhar Dhawan...Thumb hairline fracture...Karun Nair
Bhuvaneshwar Kumar...Back strain

Of the 4, only Rahul and Bhuvi will be missed IMO.
Old 6th October 2016, 12:44   #8914
BHPian

Anybody watching the South Africa - Australia ODI's?? Cracker of a match yesterday with SA chasing down 371! Proper batting from David Miller - proper cricketing shots! Was such a delight to watch. Great finishing by the no 23 guy whose name I didn't quite get!!

The best part though was that there was no flurry of advertisements between overs! Can't seem to remember a telecast like that in the recent past! Especially India's matches where the ad will start the moment the ball is fielded off the last ball of the over!
Old 6th October 2016, 13:15   #8915
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Anybody watching the South Africa - Australia ODI's?? Cracker of a match yesterday with SA chasing down 371! Proper batting from David Miller - proper cricketing shots! Was such a delight to watch....
I didn't watch the telecast though. But I saw the scoreline today on cricinfo website. Must have been a thrilling match.

Quote:
Great finishing by the no 23 guy whose name I didn't quite get!!
Phehlukwayo-Indeed a tough name to remember. But luckily his second name is Lucky...its the best way to call him.

After Yesterday's match, the top 5 highest successful run chases in ODIs have been against Australia. Also 8 of the top 10 highest successful run chases have been against the Aussies.
One thing to note is that on 9 of those 10 occasions, the home teams have won. India is the only team to have won against the home team.

Quote:
The best part though was that there was no flurry of advertisements between overs! Can't seem to remember a telecast like that in the recent past! Especially India's matches where the ad will start the moment the ball is fielded off the last ball of the over!
In the initial days of Tatasky HD, it used to be totally Ad-free (because the Ads were not shot in HD still). it was the best time. but very soon, its back to the usual stuff. MAny a times they start an Ad and cut it in half and resume the game just when the bowler is near the crease delivering the ball. Even the Japanese who started the JIT (Just In Time) methodology would not take it this far
Old 6th October 2016, 14:51   #8916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
In the initial days of Tatasky HD, it used to be totally Ad-free (because the Ads were not shot in HD still). it was the best time. but very soon, its back to the usual stuff.
Ah, the good ole times, even though it was just a few years back. Yes, I remember that time vividly -- What a joy it was to overhear the banter from the stump mic that occurred in between overs, you also knew changes in field positions because you could see and hear instructions from the captain and the fielder walking to the new position, commentators would talk about some tidbit from cricket history or they would engage in pulling each other's legs, there would be additional charts, statistics, hawk eye, etc. Cricket was such a joy to watch!

Went on for more than a year until the ads came.
Old 9th October 2016, 21:08   #8917
Senior - BHPian

After seeing Rohit play well, I have to admit that he's going to play most of our test matches at home.
Vijay, Rahul, Pujara, Kohli and Rahane will make the bulk of the runs, Rohit will be the man giving impetus in the later part of the innings.

I still don't know how he'll bat if he comes in after all the batsmen before him fail to score. (Eg. 4-56 on Day 1)

I think Bhuvi will be more or less a permanent member of the side now. He looks a much better bowler than Ishant Sharma.

The confidence with which WP Saha bats is really good to see.
Old 10th October 2016, 12:55   #8918
BHPian

Ashwin seems to be on fire. Was happy that balck caps put on a good show in the morning session. But it is unraveling now with 4 wickets in no time.
Old 10th October 2016, 15:56   #8919
Distinguished - BHPian

NZ are 299 all out and India are batting again.
Ashwin yet another 5WI. With 20 5WI in 39 matches is just amazing.
Also seems like he is becomimg an expert in running the non-striker out on a deflection from his hand
Old 10th October 2016, 16:09   #8920
Team-BHP Support

I am guessing India will try and set a target of 400 half an hour before tea tomorrow. Hats off to Ashwin and very good of the selectors to rest him from the ODIs. It's a long season ahead and his workload, along with Sir's, needs to be managed.

Edit: I am slightly disappointed that we had to retort to running on the pitch. Jadeja did it yesterday and Vijay has been warned just now. Not done.

Last edited by Eddy : 10th October 2016 at 16:10.
Old 11th October 2016, 17:41   #8921
PPS
Senior - BHPian

As expected, India wrapped up the test series! They should perhaps expect a tougher fight from the English team later in the season.
Ashwin really has some fantastic stats, good thing the selectors have given him some rest for the ODI's.
Expecting the ODI's against NZ to be a lot more competitive since Dhoni doesn't really have a great team on paper!
Old 20th October 2016, 13:15   #8922
Distinguished - BHPian

Today again they have lost the toss and have been put into bat.
The coins used in this series don't seem to like NZ so much!
6 matches 6 tosses lost - 3 Tests 2 ODIs and a practice match against Mumbai.
Old 20th October 2016, 15:13   #8923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
6 matches 6 tosses lost - 3 Tests 2 ODIs and a practice match against Mumbai.
They may need toss practice along with practice matches. At least unlike the tests they get to bat first even after losing the toss.
Old 26th October 2016, 22:22   #8924
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Should be an exciting final game on Saturday. Credit to the Kiwi's today for bowling well.
What is most evident in the last few years is while chasing we depend very heavily on Virat & Dhoni!
Rahane has been most disappointing, today was an ideal opportunity to steer a run chase but he couldn't close the game. He will struggle to get into the 11 once KL Rahul, Dhawan & Raina are fit.
Rohit Sharma has been below average this series.
What is heartening is perhaps our lower order batting, in both games which we lost they put up some sort of resistance & not just throw away their wickets.

Last edited by PPS : 26th October 2016 at 22:25.
Old 30th October 2016, 21:27   #8925
Senior - BHPian

Bangladesh bowled extremely well for a deserving victory against England.
In Asian conditions, Bangladeshi bowlers have what it takes to be a threat to any side.

Can't say the same about their batting. One wicket falls and the whole lineup collapses.
Or as legendary Gavaskar once said- "
When Bangladesh lose wickets, they lose wickets in pairs. "

India have what it takes to beat England 4-0 or 5-0

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks