Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2016, 19:48   #8881
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
What a series in Sri Lanka. Love seeing the Aussies getting thumped
Not taking anything away from SL, but Asian teams are 'overusing' home conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Lady Luck again seems to be smiling on the Indian Test team when it comes to rankings
I think that No.1 ranking is to stay. We have so many series to be played at home.
Old 22nd August 2016, 12:37   #8882
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I think that No.1 ranking is to stay. We have so many series to be played at home.
See this - If India doesn't beat WI in the fourth test (it is heading towards a draw with 3 days washed out), Pak will become #1 - Link

What I don't understand is India is on 112 points and Pak on 111. If India loses the test, they may lose points but will they not stay on 112 if the fourth test is drawn ?
Old 22nd August 2016, 13:28   #8883
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The upcoming ODI series between England and Pakistan will be used as a trial to see whether front foot no-balls can be effectively determined by the TV umpire and conveyed to the on-field official.

To assist the TV umpire, the ICC said that footage from the four side-on cameras for run-outs will be made available on a split-screen feed, along with slow-motion replays and a rewind-forward option. To receive communication from the TV umpire, the on-field official will wear a "pager watch," which will vibrate when a no-ball is called. If the watch fails to deliver the intended message, the umpires will use regular verbal communication.

The only instance when on-field umpires can use their discretion to call a no-ball during the series is if the side-on cameras are unavailable.
Source

This was much needed. This will reduce a big load on the on-field umpires especially during lbw decisions.
If this is successful, slowly on-field umpires will start to become less significant.
Probably in future, umpires will only be needed to discipline and control the players when things go haywire.
Old 22nd August 2016, 17:50   #8884
Senior - BHPian

@NPV:
Unfortunately, India is going to lose that No.1 ranking due to weather. Pakistan will be No. 1 and they deserve it. They exploited a weak English middle order.

Quote:
Anything less than a 3-0 sweep (in favour of India, weather permitting) is a shame.
Indians played really well, but we let the second match slip. It could have been 3-0 if India bowled better on last day of the second test. Even though we didn't bowl well, credit to Roston Chase, Jason Holder and Shane Dowrich for putting a crazy resistance.

The way I see it, Indian test batting order is still not completely established.
The only settled players:
1. Rahane- Centuries in all countries except Ban and RSA. Got 90s in Ban and RSA.
2. Kohli- PLayed well everywhere except England.
3. Vijay- Most successful Indian opener in the past few years
4. Rahul- After 2 hundreds in difficult conditions, got a third one here. High time he gets a permanent position.
5. **(Ashwin)- 4th highest run scorer in the series (at the time I type this.) Ashwin will have contribute with the bat if Kohli insists on playing 5 bowlers.
6. Saha- I think he may get more chances because of his maiden hundred. While I don't doubt his keeping skills, his batting is the weakest link in the Indian team.

The major question is: Who's India's perfect no.3 ? Pujara came with a lot of promise, but he's just not as good as I though he would be.

If Kohli plays at No. 3, we can't afford Rahane to move Rahane up to No.4 as the batting after that will be too weak. Rahane is also a versatile player, capable of scoring quickly when he bats with the tail. Also, Rahane should immediately follow Kohli as these two are our best batsmen during crisis.

I don't where Talent (Rohit) fits in this batting line up. While he's talented, he doesn't seem to be the most patient.

Also, Mishra is not the best in unfriendly conditions. Considering Mishra's age, an investment in Jadeja as a bowler maybe worth. He's not really disappointed with the ball. If he (ever) contributes with the bat, it can be considered captain's luck.

**Ashwin is still the 5th bowler who can be considered as a bowling all-rounder.
Old 22nd August 2016, 22:44   #8885
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The major question is: Who's India's perfect no.3 ? Pujara came with a lot of promise, but he's just not as good as I though he would be.
On current form, perhaps KL Rahul! Pujara really needs to somehow score big runs.

Quote:
If Kohli plays at No. 3,
In sub-continent conditions, the team management should perhaps think of such a move.

Quote:
I don't where Talent (Rohit) fits in this batting line up. While he's talented, he doesn't seem to be the most patient.
He fits nowhere but the team management will somehow try to find a place for him in the team!

Quote:
Also, Mishra is not the best in unfriendly conditions. Considering Mishra's age, an investment in Jadeja as a bowler maybe worth.
Considering we will be playing lots of home matches in the coming months, Mishra is a permanent fixture in the team alongwith Jadeja though Jadeja relies too heavily on the pitch to be effective.

Last edited by PPS : 22nd August 2016 at 22:45.
Old 23rd August 2016, 18:21   #8886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
On current form, perhaps KL Rahul! Pujara really needs to somehow score big runs.
I think it's time that we found a replacement for S Dhawan too. I think KL Rahul is ideal for No.3, but who'll open?

Quote:
In sub-continent conditions, the team management should perhaps think of such a move.
Kohli at No.3 is ok as long as the rest of the batsmen can contribute. We need to have Rahane and Kohli batting at consecutive positions as they are the best men during a crisis or to maintain the momentum in the game.
Having Rahane at No.4 is not ideal as the rest of the batting becomes thin and weak after that.

Quote:
He fits nowhere but the team management will somehow try to find a place for him in the team!
He could make a good no.6 if he has patience. But he's been given too many chances.

Perhaps a county season will help him play the longer format better?

Quote:
Jadeja relies too heavily on the pitch to be effective.
Jadeja does rely on the pitch but he is extremely accurate, which is a boon in wickets which don't assist spinners. I think his job should be to hold up one end in overseas (outside Asia) conditions. In Asia, he'll get all the assistance he wants.

Also, his batting contribution (although not consistent) can be useful as a cover-up for Saha.
Old 27th August 2016, 23:48   #8887
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Certainly not good promotion for MS Dhoni the biopic !
Exciting game of cricket though, the reason why West Indies are the world champions in this format & Bravo having played so much cricket with Dhoni perhaps had an inkling that Dhoni won't go for the big shot.
Old 28th August 2016, 00:36   #8888
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Good game of cricket, unfortunately India lost but full credit to the West Indies team for a hard fought Win.
The game is a great leveler - MSD who has on some occasions scored 4 and 6 off the last ball to take India to victory could not get 2 runs and was out.
And KL Rahul undoubtedly is a new star in the making, good for Indian cricket
Old 28th August 2016, 16:09   #8889
Senior - BHPian

Great game of cricket. Unfortunately, our bowling was just thumped.

Binny is useless. He doesn't bowl or bat properly. I think we should give more chances to Rayudu as he's always performed consistently in T20 cricket.

KL Rahul is the new star. Any sensible captain will ask Shikhar Dhawan to sit on the bench forever.
Old 9th September 2016, 11:38   #8890
BHPian

TM Dilshan, one of the most underrated legends of the limited overs formats, plays his final international against AUS today. Hope his team can give him a victorious send off.
Old 9th September 2016, 13:54   #8891
Team-BHP Support

Really happy to see the A team win the ODI series in Australia.

They have also started well in the unofficial test series.

Manish Pandey deserves an India slot. He is in the Kohli mode - loves chasing.
Old 9th September 2016, 23:00   #8892
BHPian

So, the two-tier test league idea was rejected. IMO, it was an idea worth considering the current state of the sport. There is no context to the multiple bilateral matches that are scheduled currently. Also, bottom ranked nations like Bangladesh and Zimbabwe rarely get to play Test matches. It's disappointing that the boards had a myopic view of the situation, the smaller boards who opposed it chose short-term profits and BCCI did not want to give up the power it has over the game.

Although, there is news that an ODI and T20 league is being proposed for the international game along with a Test playoff for the Top 2 sides. There is a severe need for some change in the structure of international cricket. I'd like to know what BHP-ians think about these issues.
Old 13th September 2016, 11:43   #8893
Distinguished - BHPian

Talent in the test side again!!
He and Dhawan must be the record holders for getting longest persisted with players
Old 13th September 2016, 11:53   #8894
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Talent in the test side again!!
Apparently the selectors mentioned that he hasn't got a place in the playing XI on a continuous basis
Come on, he needs to play at least 20 tests on the trot to prove his talent with a double/triple century
Old 13th September 2016, 12:43   #8895
Team-BHP Support

Jadeja is almost certain to play after his five wicket hall in the Duleep trophy final yesterday. Pujara scored an unbeaten double ton at a strike rate of 70+.

Will be interesting to see the final playing 11 now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks