Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2024, 15:52   #17176
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

I'm really in two minds about this "non-availability for Test cricket" thing.

I really enjoy following Test cricket, and off late, Tests have been really entertaining. I belong to one of the generations for whom "Test cricket is the highest form of cricket" (cue old guy jokes).

But on the other hand, I think it's ok for a cricketer to prioritize the kind of cricket they want to be a part of. And I get that for a lot of cricketers, especially the younger set, probably Test cricket is no longer the best form of cricket. I suspect a lot of the older cricketers too were compelled to mouth that line without really feeling that way.

For one thing, with a cricket crazy country like ours, there is always going to be talent fighting for a place, so someone like Hardik and Ishan are just leaving a door wide open to be replaced by some talented youngster. It's a risk, especially for someone like Ishan. And if someone as talented is really not coming through the ranks (like in the case of an all-rounder like Hardik), who can blame them for exercising their unique bargaining power.

Yes, it involves national duty to some extent. So these guys should ideally make themselves available for the national team whenever required. But it's also a job for these guys. And since I take advantage of the job market and can have a say in what kind of job I want to do, and avoid the kind of job I don't enjoy, why can't these guys?

(All just thoughts, I'm really not able to make up my mind either way.)
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 16:54   #17177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Perfectly summarised.
I really cannot blame Pandya for unofficially retiring from Tests. I don't think his body can take bowling in Test matches, and I am not sure he is good enough as a batter to make it into the lineup.

Ishan Kishan is a different thing on the other hand. If he thinks he is above representing the country, then he has made his choice and he shouldn't be playing for India in any format. We have lots of talent in the country as this is our primary sport, so Kishan can make his IPL money while the sun shines on him for however long that will be.
Old 13th February 2024, 16:55   #17178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
I hope the BCCI enforces the mandate on a case by case basis. Can't imagine a Bumrah going through a full Ranji season, followed by IPL and then being at his best for international games. Even Rohit and Kohli are 35+ and it's really not necessary to force them to grind in Ranji, despite Kohli's excellent fitness.
Imagine being a promising player/bowler in Ranji circuit. If Indian Test XI players are always on tour or resting or injured, then when do I pit my skills against Bumrah/Kohli & co. to know where I stand? And how do I understand my weaknesses against top tier bowlers/batsmen so that I can work on it. I believe it is in the best long-term interest to make international players play at least some Ranji matches when their schedule allows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I'm really in two minds about this "non-availability for Test cricket" thing.

I really enjoy following Test cricket, and off late, Tests have been really entertaining. I belong to one of the generations for whom "Test cricket is the highest form of cricket" (cue old guy jokes).
Yes, it involves national duty to some extent. So these guys should ideally make themselves available for the national team whenever required. But it's also a job for these guys. And since I take advantage of the job market and can have a say in what kind of job I want to do, and avoid the kind of job I don't enjoy, why can't these guys?

(All just thoughts, I'm really not able to make up my mind either way.)
I'm a test cricket fan too. However, it isnt that straightforward. Many of the present national players are groomed by state/Ranji teams over the years. Why shouldn't the Ranji teams expect something in return when the players hit their purple patch or peak of their playing prowess? Surely, playing few first class matches in a year/season is doable. Perhaps, they can even mentor some youngsters in the Ranji team - sort of like a 'Pay it forward'.

Last edited by srvm : 13th February 2024 at 16:56.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 16:57   #17179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Perfectly summarised.
What about other players
Hanuma Vihari
Shikhar Dhawan
Prithvi Shaw
Mayank Agarwal
Abhimanyu Easwaran
Umesh Yadav

I am sure there would be a few others who did not get a decent run with the national team

Last edited by selfdrive : 13th February 2024 at 17:00.
Old 13th February 2024, 20:16   #17180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Imagine being a promising player/bowler in Ranji circuit. If Indian Test XI players are always on tour or resting or injured, then when do I pit my skills against Bumrah/Kohli & co. to know where I stand? And how do I understand my weaknesses against top tier bowlers/batsmen so that I can work on it.
The IPL does exactly that, and more importantly tests up and coming players on their ability to execute their skills under high pressure, which has been our national team's bane in recent times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I believe it is in the best long-term interest to make international players play at least some Ranji matches when their schedule allows.
I think this is fair. Maybe 4-5 games a year when the India players are returning from injury/break or in preparation for a home test series. Would also help avoid Ishan-esque case of players being IPL-to-IPL types.
Shumi_21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 09:12   #17181
Team-BHP Support

So finally, all your prayers are answered. Sarfaraz gets a debut today on one of the flatter tracks in the country.

Having seen him bat in a couple of domestic games, I have my doubts. To my armchair critic eye, he never looked solid as a test batter, but Pant is a good example of succeeding without being technically traditional.

How I wish that Sarfaraz proves me wrong today!

Last edited by Eddy : 15th February 2024 at 09:13.
Eddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 09:17   #17182
BHPian

Finally team management made some bold decisions. Both Sarfaraz and Jurel making their debut
Old 15th February 2024, 09:34   #17183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx100 View Post
Finally team management made some bold decisions. Both Sarfaraz and Jurel making their debut
Would have preferred Mukesh to continue rather than being replaced by Siraj. The latter is inconsistent with his performance however Dravid & Sharma feel otherwise. Wish S Khan hits a double and gives selectors more headache. Jurel instead of KS Bharat is a good move. Probably we will not see much of KS Bharat now unless he performs extraordinarily well in the domestic circuit. Atlast selectors too are reading Team BHP!
VWAllstar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 11:07   #17184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
To my armchair critic eye, he never looked solid as a test batter, but Pant is a good example of succeeding without being technically traditional
If you thought Iyer sucks against the short/swing/seam stuff, wait until you see Sarfaraz. But to his credit, Sarfaraz has found a way to score runs. And his and Jurel's runs will be needed as we are already 3 down for 50 odd.
Old 15th February 2024, 12:07   #17185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
What about other players
Hanuma Vihari
Shikhar Dhawan
Prithvi Shaw
Mayank Agarwal
Abhimanyu Easwaran
Umesh Yadav

I am sure there would be a few others who did not get a decent run with the national team
Out of this, I find only Vihari's case bizarre. Rest are already past their prime or haven't done well internationally. Vihari is still only 30 years old and even had a few productive outings in Australia, England, West Indies etc. But instead of him, the 30-year-old Patidar gets a debut when we badly need to fill the no 4 slot.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 13:20   #17186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Out of this, I find only Vihari's case bizarre. Rest are already past their prime or haven't done well internationally. Vihari is still only 30 years old and even had a few productive outings in Australia, England, West Indies etc. But instead of him, the 30-year-old Patidar gets a debut when we badly need to fill the no 4 slot.
Vihari just can't score runs against good pace. Also, he has a mediocre first class record after that Australia series. To get back in reckoning he first needs to do something great in domestic.

Gill has so much flaw in his defense. 100 saved his axing but he inspires 0 confidence when someone balls good line and length to him. Patidhar disappointed big time. This was a golden chance.

Very good recovery by Rohit and Jaddu. Credit to team management for promoting Jaddu over Sarfraz. Wood and Anderson were ominous and now pitch has settled so both debutant can play much better. I would have been more comfortable if Axar was playing. Need minimum 450 here in first innings.
harry10 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 16:21   #17187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
If you thought Iyer sucks against the short/swing/seam stuff, wait until you see Sarfaraz. But to his credit, Sarfaraz has found a way to score runs
Was a little afraid when Sarfaraz came out because Wood would be bowling bouncers at him. But again to his credit, Sarfaraz ducked, swayed and was solid in his backfoot defence in the 10 odd deliveries Wood bowled to him. I had absolutely no doubt he would dominate the spinners, which he has done brilliantly! Have been applauding all his fours while in office, eliciting weird looks from my co-workers.

Edit: Sarfaraz gets to 50 in 48. Get another 150 man!

Last edited by Shumi_21 : 15th February 2024 at 16:22.
Shumi_21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 16:46   #17188
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

After losing the first 3 wickets this morning in quick time for under 50 runs, India now 315/5. This is a great comeback and a good reply in Bazball style to give England a taste of their own medicine. Rohit Sharma and Jadeja got centuries and Sarfaraz run out for a quick fire 62, very happy to see him perform well on this stage bringing his form from the domestic circuit.
Old 15th February 2024, 16:50   #17189
Senior - BHPian

IMO, Jadeja should be playing his last match. He had no business committing Sarfraz for that non-existing run; Jadeja is a habitual offender with such run-outs. Rohit's anger against Sarfraz's dismissal is justified. A debutant's innings is more important than a veteran's selfish hundred.

Last edited by deehunk : 15th February 2024 at 16:57.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 16:52   #17190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
IMO, Jadeja should be playing his last match. He had no business committing Sarfraz for that non-existing run; Jadeja is a habitual offender with such run-outs. Rohit's anger against Sarfraz's dismissal is justified.*
I completely agree with you. When it comes to batting, Jadeja has become too selfish in the recent years.
kavensri is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks