Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2022, 16:40   #15661
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

The time is ripe for a Bangladesh/Zimbabwe/West Indies tour of India to quell the noise after today's defeat. I am sure that the BCCI officials are hard at work to schedule a two test and three ODI/T20 series. It's time for the Indian batting line up to rewrite the history books in December 2022!
kushagra452 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 16:42   #15662
BHPian

Wow. This is just plain embarrassing as a fan.

At the same time, this Indian performance is entirely predictable. Fact is, the Indian team never looked menacing or even competitive in some matches.

We won against Pak because of Kohli's brilliance and a dash of luck (overthrow, close no-ball.) Lost against SA. Almost lost against BAN.

The bowling has been ok and average. The opposition batsman are rarely scared facing any of our bowlers.

The three big problems, in my humble opinion:

1. Batting at the top. Rahul and Rohit have wasted too many golden opportunities and let the team down when needed. Yes, they are talented and craft beautiful shots, but sports is more than occasional brilliance. It is all about consistency, which both lack. Especially KL.
2. We must find and polish bowlers that can create opportunities, not just stick to line and length, which is simply not enough.
3. Is Dravid the right choice for a modern, fast-paced T20 coach? A tough question that needs to be answered.

I hope the lessons from this tournament are not brushed under the carpet once we win a few inconsequential matches in the near future.

But my hunch is, that's precisely what's going to happen.
Zigor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 16:47   #15663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
The time is ripe for a Bangladesh/Zimbabwe/West Indies tour of India to quell the noise after today's defeat. I am sure that the BCCI officials are hard at work to schedule a two test and three ODI/T20 series. It's time for the Indian batting line up to rewrite the history books in December 2022!
Along with this, BRING ON IPL! prepone the tournament so that public can forget what happened in WC and start enjoying our players playing 'brilliant' knocks!
kavensri is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 17:19   #15664
Senior - BHPian

To say that this match was a disappointment would be an understatement!

Since we have captain rotations in play, maybe we should have coach rotations as well?

Different coaches-Different captains for different formats.

Bah. what do i know?!
deathwalkr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 17:36   #15665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_naresh View Post
The Indian Cricket Team will continue to underperform in major tournaments because the selectors don't have the guts to take tough decisions. BCCI will continue to select non-performing seniors because of their reputation and these seniors will promptly fail in crunch situations leading to our ouster in the knockout stages of the tournament.
Told you so! In today's match, Virat and Rohit together played 68 balls and scored 77 runs. When the top order plays so slow, it puts tremendous pressure on the middle order to score at a faster pace to make up for this. And when you are playing a top team, you are most likely going to fall short.

Of course, the bowlers not performing today added to the misery. They were under pressure because they knew they were defending a middling total and the English batsmen going hammer and tongs caused them to also lose their composure.
Old 10th November 2022, 17:57   #15666
BHPian

I don't think there will be much resentment, at least from those who followed this team a bit more closely. We cannot expect to be successful in T20 without scoring runs in power play and then leaking when we are bowling. We didn't have good opening this entire tournament except for 1 match maybe.

So while I wished we succeeded, I was not expecting us to be successful.
vamsi.kona is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 18:12   #15667
Team-BHP Support

I think the selectors should realise that the top 3 of KL, Rohit & Virat is not sustainable. All 3 play at the same pace. There is place only for one of them, let alone three. That one can be Kohli if he wants to continue and given his form. Or KL since he can be the back-up keeper. I think today was Rohit's last T20 International game. He is not fit enough to carry on in all three formats.

Players like Samson, Shaw etc have to be brought in. Unfortunately, I fear the selectors will bring in Gill and Iyer who again are misfits.

We cannot have 4 bowlers who can't bat. There needs to be proper backup for Jadeja and Hardik and one of the seamers should be able to slog. Ashwin will be replaced by Bishnoi, so that adds to the tail. It will be a while before we see a settled India T20I lineup.

And the elephant in the room is Rahul Dravid. Who will address that problem?

Personally for me, the tournament went better than I expected. Kohli back in form, SKY batting like only he can and Arshdeep doing well. I didn't expect to qualify for the knockouts, but we did so I will take that. No way this team deserved anything more.

Last edited by Eddy : 10th November 2022 at 18:13.
Eddy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 18:17   #15668
BHPian

I guess the title of "Chokers" should be passed on to our team. I do not recall winning a major tournament in the last 6-7 years. All we do is reach the semis/final and then choke.

On the other hand, I think we should start having different teams for different formats. The current side is fit for tests/ODIs. For T20s, the current team (barring few players) neither has the fitness nor the agility in the field the shorter format demands.
Old 10th November 2022, 18:21   #15669
BHPian

I think its over analyzing our batting. 168 is not such a bad score. How many teams have scored bigger in this tournament? Its the bowling that puts zero pressure on the other team. If there is no swing our lack of pure pace is a big downer. We cant use bounce. The other semifinal was a similarly one sided.
Old 10th November 2022, 18:48   #15670
Senior - BHPian

Are we really surprised by what happened?

Our openers are shit to put it mildly. Both have no business being in a T20 side. 28 ball 27 in a semi final on a pure batting wicket is despicable. And the audacity to blame the loss on bowlers in post match interview.

Kohli and SKY can't carry this team always and SKY too fails in crucial games.

Since eternity they can't decide if they want to play DK or Pant and musical chairs continue.

Axar and Ashwin are played who aren't match winning spinners while performing players like Bishnoi are dropped.

Bhuvi was over long back. Still we keep playing him.

More than players Selectors should be sacked first for selecting so many ODI players for a T20.

England showed how T20 is actually played.

And trust me nothing will change. If you have doubts then check the NZ tour squad.

Forgot to add Dravid has been completely useless as coach. Just like Ganguly was as bcci head.

I am not disappointed cos I expected this.
harry10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 19:22   #15671
Senior - BHPian

India's semifinal exit was part of load management, they will now get rest for a week for not playing in the WC finals. A final against Pakistan would have created tremendous mental stress on our players if Chetan Sharma's words are to be believed.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 19:39   #15672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Forgot to add Dravid has been completely useless as coach.
What is that they keep staring at a computer/laptop whenever the camera pans him and his assistants. I simply don’t understand what do you have to look at in the computer about the game? Looking at some kind of report/statistic? On how fast they are going to loose the match probably? Or reading Cricinfo commentary?

Simply cannot the digest the role of RD for a T20 team.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 10th November 2022 at 19:41.
Old 10th November 2022, 19:40   #15673
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I think the selectors should realise that the top 3 of KL, Rohit & Virat is not sustainable. All 3 play at the same pace. There is place only for one of them, let alone three. That one can be Kohli if he wants to continue and given his form. Or KL since he can be the back-up keeper. I think today was Rohit's last T20 International game. He is not fit enough to carry on in all three formats.

Players like Samson, Shaw etc have to be brought in. Unfortunately, I fear the selectors will bring in Gill and Iyer who again are misfits.
Agree.
In T20I format, I think we need to take a bold approach by retaining just Pant, Kohli, Hardik, Surya, and rethink and replace the rest of the team composition with the theme being young blood and a team that can bat really deep (more all rounders). Get Shaw, Samson, Ruturaj, Padikkal, etc.

In my opinion, T20 is more of a tactical and impulsive game, need quick decisions and responses and is best suited for the youngsters with some help from few seniors to lead and mentor them.

Keep the rest of the star players to focus on Test and ODI cricket.

Last edited by NPV : 10th November 2022 at 19:43.
Old 10th November 2022, 19:52   #15674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Agree.
In T20I format, I think we need to take a bold approach by retaining just Pant, Kohli, Hardik, Surya, and rethink and replace the rest of the team composition with the theme being young blood and a team that can bat really deep (more all rounders). Get Shaw, Samson, Ruturaj, Padikkal, etc.

In my opinion, T20 is more of a tactical and impulsive game, need quick decisions and responses and is best suited for the youngsters with some help from few seniors to lead and mentor them.

Keep the rest of the star players to focus on Test and ODI cricket.
You are absolutely right.
And that's why none of it will happen. The whole system is made in a way that worthy don't get many opportunities and favoritism carries on. Do selectors have the guts to drop Rohit and KL and other non performing guys? I don't think so.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 20:42   #15675
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Losing by 10 wickets is a disastrous outcome. It really is the manner of the loss which hurts the most! Virat & Rohit should gracefully retire from T20s now. I don't think we'll ever see Dinesh Karthik & Ashwin play white ball cricket again. KL also perhaps needs to be dropped in T20s, he has to perform in big games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
There needs to be proper backup for Jadeja and Hardik
Fact is we have none! Hardik is especially fragile & needs to be handled optimally. This WC clearly showed Axar is not really a like for like replacement for Jadeja.

Quote:
Personally for me, the tournament went better than I expected. I didn't expect to qualify for the knockouts, but we did so I will take that. No way this team deserved anything more.
Agreed. With no Bumrah, no Jadeja & no batting depth, the team did reasonably well. And part of that reason was the Australian conditions since it was still winter there. If you see apart from Finn Allen & Litton Das nobody really was off to a flyer in the powerplay due to the conditions. This worked to India's advantage as our top 3 prefer to start off in ODI mode. India just didn't have the batting depth to go slam-bam in the powerplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Bhuvi was over long back. Still we keep playing him.
Bhuvi was clobbered today but he bowled better than expected due to slightly helpful conditions in the powerplay & weaker opposition in few games. India should do away with Bhuvi now in white ball format & look at Deepak Chahar who's a similar bowler + he offers something with the bat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks