Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2022, 13:13   #15706

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Oh, you're a millenial. My crying started in 1996, along with Kambli

I am fine today. We got what we actually deserved.
Wow, that’s was exactly the same day I cried for a cricket match being a 9 year old at that time was a heartbreaking moment. The helplessness of Kambli and people throwing all sorts of things on the cricket ground and Azhar declaring the match was in fact a heart sinking moment. This loss was not hurting me for sure anyways , Indian cricket team has come long way from those days and one of the strongest teams in modern era. I feel the icc cup is not far away and many more to come..
rudra_bvrm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 14:49   #15707
Senior - BHPian

I believe Ashwin could have saved embarrassment by himself opting out of ODI's and T20Is, he was never a successful bowler in the short format. The mediocre medium-pace attack of India would never bother any team, Prasidh Krishna would have extracted bounce and pace on Aussie pitches. The worry is our batting lineup, not even one youngster from the WC-winning Junior team was nurtured since 2018.
Old 12th November 2022, 15:10   #15708
BHPian

So many 30+ members in the team. The only ones among this bunch who truly deserved were SKY and Virat.

Brett Lee made a very appropriate comment - India turned up for a drag race leaving the Ferrari in the garage (or something to that effect). He was referring to Umran. There is no substitute for raw pace on fast pitches. Umran has a long way to go. But how will he ever gain the experience if he is not thrown into the mix. Guess, they have finally realized it and have him in the new teams.

Fielding - Was pathetic. We dropped so many catches, missed run-out opportunities by the dozen.

Bowling - I always felt that our frontline bowlers were waiting to be hit, and once they started getting hit there was no stopping. Liton Das laid the template and Hales and Butler just carried it forward.

Batting - No intent at the top. KL, Rohit and Virat all are similar kind of batsmen. Get your eye in, and accelerate towards the end. By the time each of them gets their eye in and think of starting to hit, either they use up half the overs or get out. We can afford only one of them, not three. I think we need more brave batsmen upfront. The likes of Ishan Kishan, Sanju Samson. They might not come good always, but again we dont give them the chances and then keep saying they dont have experience.

Overall - We have been harping result doesn't matter, the process matters and if we follow the process results will come. We have been saying this for past 12-13 years, results are always the same. Play to win. Bring the street smart attitude out.
Garth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 21:08   #15709
BHPian

Don't worry, be happy!

This is for all of us
1. Who are hurt by the meek surrender of our superstars in the semifinals.
2. Who still dream the board will do something meaningful to arrest this slide of our T20I team
3. Who know exactly the problems associated with the T2OI team, but the board or the selection committee can't see, or choose to turn selectively-blind.

Once IPL starts, everything will be forgotten and the media will create even more SuperStars of the IPL

BTW, there is interesting article in Deccan Herald, that mentions how the American Basketball team redeemed itself after humiliating defeats, one of the reasons being the impact of NBA and how the IPL could be affecting our national T2OI team.

https://www.deccanherald.com/sports/...g-1161487.html
Old 13th November 2022, 12:26   #15710
Distinguished - BHPian

Whatever the outcome, it's been a great tournament. Some entertaining cricket, fantastic upsets and very few will disagree that the two teams that peaked at the right time are playing the final today. Thankfully it looks like good weather and should be a good match!

Also, kudos to this thread. A lot of the weakness in the Indian team were highlighted long before the tournament started. The mainstream media pundits are great at post-situation analysis. But few will say what is required before. To be fair to them, the kind of hype and jingoism also doesn't allow honest introspection when things are going well (and that happens here too). And to be fair to our guys, not having Jadeja and Bumrah was a big factor.
Old 13th November 2022, 12:38   #15711
BHPian

We need a different coach as well for T20Is; I have never understood why we keep same coach for all 3 formats.
gary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 13:26   #15712
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
In my view it is very simple. Either you participate in IPL or play for Team India.
There is a specific IPL window in the International Calendar, that too for all teams (except Pakistan). The likes of Pat Cummins & Starc have given up on IPL contracts so that they can rest adequately for Ashes,etc. That is something which I would like to see Indian players doing! This should start with the Selection Committee being strict about giving too much rest when playing for India. This will force some of them to retire from a format. I don't mind the likes of Hardik,Jadeja & Bumrah being adequately rested because there isn't any like for like replacement in the entire country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeboy View Post
It is due to sheer over confidence that Indian team lost to England. After topping the table they thought that they can defeat England and were a bit relaxed and paid the price.
I do not know what overconfidence you're talking about, there was barely any confidence from what I saw. The openers were edgy & tad nervous! The way they went about in the first 10 overs it was clear they were conservative & had a fear of failure mindset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Foreign players got a lot of experience playing in the subcontinent during IPL and many of them play across the world in other premier leagues as well.BCCI does not allow Indian players to play in other leagues thereby reducing exposure?
The likes of Butler & Co. play in the IPL & come to India so often nowadays. Won't be surprised if England play the ODI WC next year like an extended T20 looking at their batting depth. BCCI want to maintain their monopoly , hence they don't allow their cricketers to play in other leagues. Thus our domestic cricketers have zero experience of playing in Australian/SA pitches.
PPS is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 14:58   #15713
Team-BHP Support

None of the Indian seniors have the option of opting out of IPL. Even if they want to, they have no choice. There will be pressure from BCCI and the franchise teams. The brand value of IPL, which drives all the revenues, is directly proportional to the participating star power. Nobody in their right mind will take panga with BCCI.

IPL is not the problem here, selection is.
Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 16:21   #15714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Won't be surprised if England play the ODI WC next year like an extended T20 looking at their batting depth.
Aren't they already doing that?

Even in test matches, they have been scoring at a rapid rate following a limited overs match mindset. They won a number of tests in the past year by chasing down scores aggressively in the 4th innings - including the pending one off test against us.

With the flatter pitches and smaller grounds for the coming ODI WC, their aggressive approach is a given.
Old 13th November 2022, 16:40   #15715
Senior - BHPian

What an incredible match. Pakistan making a match out of an under par score. Incredible!

Really shows what can be done when you have raw pace. Bowler after bowler bowling extreme pace!

If england lose stokes it would be done and dusted.

Last edited by vibbs : 13th November 2022 at 16:46.
Old 13th November 2022, 16:44   #15716
BHPian

As an Indian I am hurt that my country is not playing the finals but as a cricketer I am glad Pakistan and England are playing the finals. This is how you play, this is how you fight. May the best team win!!
Engine_Roars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 18:00   #15717
Team-BHP Support

England are deserving champions. What a rockstar team!

Kudos to everyone who brought in this revolution post 2015.

The only downside is that they might get thrashed in the Ashes next year in Australia.
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 18:06   #15718
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Pakistani bowlers showing how to put up a fight when you have a below par score to defend. England were always the better team but the match may have gotten close if not for that Shaheen Afridi Injury!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx14 View Post
Aren't they already doing that?
Yes, they have been doing it for a while. With the small grounds in India + England's high risk high reward approach even mishits will go deep into the stands!

Quote:
Even in test matches, they have been scoring at a rapid rate following a limited overs match mindset. They won a number of tests in the past year by chasing down scores aggressively in the 4th innings - including the pending one off test against us.
Let's see for how long they're able to sustain that in challenging conditions!
PPS is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 20:00   #15719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
England are deserving champions.
Very true.

Apart from the match against Ireland where they were uncharacteristically tentative in their batting and scoring slowly -
thus paying the price of a DLS loss - they have pursued their aggressive template and reaped the reward of winning the cup.

Stokes - What a champion player. The ODI WC Final and now the T20 WC Final. He has answered the critics questioning his role in the T20 squad.
Old 13th November 2022, 22:21   #15720
BHPian

Today’s game just proved that this English side is in a league of it’s own and is not that easy to beat. Don’t get me wrong but I think most of us overreacted to India’s loss in semifinals. Yes, our team does have issues but so do Australia, Pakistan and RSA. In fact, I feel that India & NZ are the only sides which can challenge this English team in limited overs. All we need to do is bring some raw pace and an attacking spinner to our bowling lineup.
Aakash118 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed