Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2017, 19:58   #9496
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I am not able to get the coverage of the Women's match today against WI; does anyone know where it is to be seen?
Not sure of TV but it is definitely on Hotstar ! Watching intermittently as I am in office right now.
Old 29th June 2017, 21:32   #9497
Senior - BHPian

Another splendid performance by the Indian women, and no TV coverage!
Old 30th June 2017, 05:49   #9498
Senior - BHPian

Lodha has criticised the SC appointed administrators for dilly dallying.

What is about the BCCI and Indian cricket that seems to corrupt almost anyone that comes in touch with them?

Everyone in India has to comply with SC judgements if the SC is not to become a laughing stock following the example of every public institution in the country. It is hovering close to getting there with HC judges opining on how peacocks reproduce or absconding from SC arrest warrants. And when the SC also demands respect by talking contempt of court and media bans on discussing the merits of its pronouncements, the conversion of India to a banana republic comes closer to completion.

The silent majority does not seem to care. Bread and circuses are enough to shut its mouth.
Old 30th June 2017, 09:44   #9499
Senior - BHPian

The more I see and read about the Women's team, the more I am impressed. I think they are in a great place by being the dark horses and not the favourites in the competition and I just hope they don't peak too early. They ought to be in the knock outs and then it is just a question of having two good games. They are quite capable of that with some help from the pitch. With less power than men, women need pace on the ball to score quickly and every team that is a favourite will not find it easy to do this against our spinners; some of them bowl balls that seem to float down out of orbit, that are very difficult to get out of the inner ring without brute force. Reminds me of India Men in 1983, in general.

It would be a great thing for the global game if India were to win because if there is one country that can transform the state of the women's game it is India, just as it transformed T20 cricket.
Old 3rd July 2017, 06:15   #9500
Senior - BHPian

The Indian women bowlers again pulled of their magic via super slow motion balls that can't be easily dealt with when combined with accuracy. Mandhana is getting to be a batsman like Tendulkar or Sehwag - encouraging the turning off the TV once she is out.

The men again managed to dismiss a recent headline, this time the one that claimed: "The Indian batting machine is purring".
Old 3rd July 2017, 06:40   #9501
Oxy
BHPian

If we cannot chase 190 against this WI bowling attack then we need to quit playing cricket.

Honestly though, I have stopped caring anymore.
Old 3rd July 2017, 22:13   #9502
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Just saw the highlights of yesterday's Ind-WI game, a run a ball was needed in the last 3 overs with 4 wickets in hand and Dhoni at the crease. Instead of rotating the strike, batsman went for the glory shots. Dhoni wasn't able to finish the game, this is happening frequently now.
Old 5th July 2017, 16:44   #9503
Senior - BHPian

Anyone excited to see good Test Cricket from tomorrow? #ENGvSA
I have a feeling that the series will be tied 1-1.

RSA is short on experience, but they have some great talent. Bavuma is managing to hold his spot not because of his talent, but due to Transformation policies.

Interesting to see how Moeen Ali bats, he has performed with the bat well only against weak teams. I think he should be dropped. He's a weak link in the batting line up.

---------------

Indian lower order is a worry. Yuvi should be discarded for good and Pant should be kept in the squad to give Dhoni a reason not to be complacent.

Dhoni should move up the order and give finishing duties to Kedar Jadhav and Hardik Pandya. Consideing '19 WC is in Asutralia, we can afford to play Hardik as the 5th bowler. He's still a batting all rounder from my POV.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 5th July 2017 at 16:48.
Old 11th July 2017, 15:05   #9504
Senior - BHPian

Is anyone bothering to watch the WI series? Not I, for sure. Much more interest in the Women's team at this time, and I wish Mandhana gets going tomorrow so we challenge Australia.

Excellent article again by Sharada Ugra on what ails Men's Cricket here:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine...y/1110431.html

And a classic paragraph in that:
"The position of India coach, in the true sense of the word, has largely been vacant following the fading away of Duncan Fletcher after 2012, and Shastri's appointment as a director of cricket and man in charge of inspirational speeches and general merriment. It is possible that Kumble's approach of organised, focused method, and his likely stern demands on fitness and commitment, might have appeared like an alien arrival to his captain."

As accurate as a tracer bullet, that comment!! Shastri is a buffoon.

What a farce, generally speaking.

Last edited by Sawyer : 11th July 2017 at 15:07.
Old 11th July 2017, 15:59   #9505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is anyone bothering to watch the WI series? Not I, for sure. Much more interest in the Women's team at this time, and I wish Mandhana gets going tomorrow so we challenge Australia.

Excellent article again by Sharada Ugra on what ails Men's Cricket here:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine...y/1110431.html

And a classic paragraph in that:
"The position of India coach, in the true sense of the word, has largely been vacant following the fading away of Duncan Fletcher after 2012, and Shastri's appointment as a director of cricket and man in charge of inspirational speeches and general merriment. It is possible that Kumble's approach of organised, focused method, and his likely stern demands on fitness and commitment, might have appeared like an alien arrival to his captain."

As accurate as a tracer bullet, that comment!! Shastri is a buffoon.

What a farce, generally speaking.
True.
I just watched the matches when there was nothing else to watch on TV and when I was not feeling sleepy.
on 3 of the 6 match days, I didn't realize till 10PM that a match was on. Then in 2 matches, I didn't know till 8 AM the next day that India had lost. And another match, I didn't know till the next day evening that Kohli had scored a century. All this for a guy who used to be awake till 3AM to watch India matches in the Caribbean.
Men's cricket has lost more viewers to this coach appointment drama than to match fixing and other issues IMO.
On the other hand I've watched all the India women's Worldcup matches with interest
Old 11th July 2017, 16:09   #9506
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
On the other hand I've watched all the India women's Worldcup matches with interest
Were all of them even telecast ? I remember looking out for one of the matches and none of the channels were showing it.

I've never enjoyed watching cricket in the Caribbean and Sri Lanka. I somehow feel that the production quality of the cricket programming isn't upto the mark.

The best place to watch cricket from remains England - the production quality and the commentary are top notch. Plus the timings are very convenient. Australia is a close second.
Old 11th July 2017, 16:29   #9507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Were all of them even telecast ? I remember looking out for one of the matches and none of the channels were showing it.
Except India Womens Vs WI Womens, all others were telecast on Star sports. Ind W Vs WI W was on Hotstar however.
Old 11th July 2017, 18:17   #9508
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is possible that Kumble's approach of organised, focused method, and his likely stern demands on fitness and commitment, might have appeared like an alien arrival to his captain."
There was some report in a newspaper quoting a source saying Shastri used to bolster Virat's ego by saying he was second best only to the great Bradman. And Kohli loved this quality about Shastri!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
All this for a guy who used to be awake till 3AM to watch India matches in the Caribbean.
I think its got to do more with the opposition & their decline over the years. Windies when on song are a joy to watch. I do not know why this series was even held & why there were no experiments in the side apart from Kuldeep Yadav.

Quote:
The best place to watch cricket from remains England - the production quality and the commentary are top notch. Plus the timings are very convenient. Australia is a close second.
Completely agree.
Old 11th July 2017, 20:02   #9509
BHPian

Quote:
I hope Shastri makes it. That's the only way to keep him out of the commentary box. And while you are at it, make Sanjay Manjrekar something too.... for the same reason
The way most of the "ex-superstars" have two jobs - ignoring all conflicts of interests - as highlighted by Ramachandra Guha, Shastri will commentate and do coaching.
Old 12th July 2017, 06:30   #9510
Senior - BHPian

So Tracer Bullet is coach. A good thing actually; if Kohli fails it is better to have eliminated all possible excuses in advance.

And if he succeeds, he will have rightfully earned more credit.

What is even better is that overseas tours to SA/ENG/AUS are to be played before predictable Tests at home. Though before that is another boring Sri Lanka tour to ignore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks