Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2013, 08:21   #7501
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Sachin just started running without having a clue as to where the ball was, by the time he saw Dhoni's hand up refusing the single it was too late, if anybody has to be blamed for that its Sachin himself.
As it is Tendulkar is not really known for winning close games, nail-biting moments are better left to others like Dhoni!
This is what I have against Dhoni from the day he is in the team. He makes simple chases complicated because he can bludgeon the bowlers when he stays till the end. He makes a hero of himself by winning some matches by staying till the end, and loses some by getting out in the middle. He makes things complicated for others who could have won the match without the awkward situation created by Dhoni in the middle. They are blamed for the loss at the end of it. We even have fans appreciating this. The worst thing is that, Dhoni is even thinking of a draw in the middle.

Last edited by umvarma : 19th March 2013 at 08:47.
Old 19th March 2013, 16:32   #7502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Because Shewag and Gambhir got the longest rope of them all (and they don't bring anything other than batting to the table); except that every rope ends somewhere.

Ganguly's comments were mischievous, and when he got called out, he immediately started covering up. There was no reason for the comments - the writing had been on the wall for Sehwag for a long time - somewhere one has to accept that he is not the player he was; and if he wants to be, then domestic cricket is where he has to pull up his socks - he is not a newcomer to the side who has to be persisted with and given leeway for a year or two so that they can adjust to international cricket.
+10000 to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I just felt Dhoni's batting (playing and missing) mounted pressure on Sachin probably making him go for a single in desperation.
At last, we have some neutral comments about Sachin, so Dhoni is the new bad boy in Indian Cricket.
Old 19th March 2013, 16:46   #7503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sachin just started running without having a clue as to where the ball was, by the time he saw Dhoni's hand up refusing the single it was too late, if anybody has to be blamed for that its Sachin himself.
Yes, there was no single there, not even for Dhoni and it was a direct hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Once Sachin left, Dhoni seemed to suddenly get back his run scoring abilities
Dhoni made a comment in the press conference that he was playing for draw, until Jadeja hit those 4s.
Old 19th March 2013, 17:28   #7504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Dhoni made a comment in the press conference that he was playing for draw, until Jadeja hit those 4s.
I can understand where this comes from. I remember a test match (I think it was against SA) which we lost chasing 100 odd runs to win in the 4th innings! It looks quite stupid and you are left to even more ridicule. Dhoni is really not known to be a big risk taker (unlike Ponting) as a captain. In fact in my 20+ years of following cricket I have not seen any aggressive/risk taking captains from India.
Old 19th March 2013, 20:03   #7505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
I dont think its by choice. Its the handicap while playing moving deliveries.
Exactly. It seems every cricket commentator on the net thinks that any top order batsman can play every kind of bowler on all days. Infact, the three fours that Dhoni hit in the last over were all to bad balls - either short or too full, or not on the off-stump line.
Old 19th March 2013, 22:41   #7506
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS View Post
Hopefully Rahane gets a Debut finally ..... He deserves one.
He sure deserve's one but you never quite know with Dhoni, he might go in for make-shift opener in the form of Pujara & make Raina bat at no.5 now that he is selected. We'll have to wait & see!

With Clarke being doubtful for next test, Watson could be the captain - someone who was sent home for not doing homework a week ago!
What was even more funnier was, Brad Haddin - someone not considered good enough to be part of the initial squad just flew into the country as back-up for the regular keeper who was injured was the on-field captain when Clarke was off the field!
Old 19th March 2013, 23:22   #7507
Team-BHP Support

If Raina plays ahead of Rahane, I will stop watching cricket till the time MSD is captain !
Old 20th March 2013, 00:05   #7508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
If Raina plays ahead of Rahane, I will stop watching cricket till the time MSD is captain !
Don't even think of switching on the TV to watch the match then.

Raina is sure to play - 100%. CSK-Srinivasan-Dhoni.....there are too many things going for him.

Rahane plays for Rajasthan Royals where Lalit Modi has a stake and Srinivasan and Modi are not the best of the friends no ?

And on what basis was Gambhir selected before being dropped since he has jaundice? Then Raina got in..

So this proves players are selected without checking anything, random picks. Really sad.

Why not Rayadu ? He has had a fab season !
Why not Jaffer ? He has had a fantabulous season this year !
Old 20th March 2013, 10:25   #7509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Thats a load of hogwash from Dhonut. When he came in to bat we needed 30 runs from around 8 overs with 7 wickets in hand. Cant see any risk in that equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post

They will never let him in because of his association with ICL. The treatment given to Ambati Rayadu is truly appalling. He was our U-19 captain and one of the most gifted batsman.
Old 20th March 2013, 11:24   #7510
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Raina is sure to play - 100%. CSK-Srinivasan-Dhoni.....there are too many things going for him.

Rahane plays for Rajasthan Royals where Lalit Modi has a stake and Srinivasan and Modi are not the best of the friends no ?

And on what basis was Gambhir selected before being dropped since he has jaundice? Then Raina got in..

So this proves players are selected without checking anything, random picks. Really sad.

I do not think that they will play Raina. There is simply no justification for that. I know the above points play a part, but had it been a 50-50 decision they would have resulted in Raina playing. In this case, its 90-10 in favour of Rahane.

Still, you never know. Lets hope for the best.
Old 20th March 2013, 13:02   #7511
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
They will never let him in because of his association with ICL. The treatment given to Ambati Rayadu is truly appalling. He was our U-19 captain and one of the most gifted batsman.
I doubt if it has anything to do with ICL. Rayadu looks very stylish, but this is probably the first domestic season where he has done something of note. Check his previous domestic record - it's very average as compared to people like Pujara, Rahane, Rohit Sharma etc.
Old 20th March 2013, 16:35   #7512
NMS
BHPian

Just back from a very serious and heated discussion in office (about Raina's inclusion that is )

Quote:
He sure deserves one but you never quite know with Dhoni, he might go in for make-shift opener in the form of Pujara & make Raina bat at no.5 now that he is selected. We'll have to wait & see!
Just hope this ain't true !!

Quote:
Lolzz those are very high stakes man. Like you said there is a 90:10 chance in Rahane's favour

Quote:

Frankly feel that Rayudu still has some time to go, Its only this season that he has performed well. And frankly we need to bleed the players more in the domestic scene before we get them in the side.
Pujara is a classic example of the kind of confidence good and consistent performance in domestic season can give.
Can I mention Sir Jadeja here.
That ways the new members value their place more in the side.

Jaffer : Simply put, Too Old for a place in the side now. I agree he has been unlucky to have not been in the side earlier.

BTW.. One of my colleagues has found the reason for the loss against England: Sir Jadeja was Missing
Old 20th March 2013, 23:00   #7513
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:

I think this whole talk of Dhoni's love for CSK is garbage.

Why was Ashwin dropped then for the world cup final? And why was Raina not selected for the first three tests?
Old 20th March 2013, 23:07   #7514
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
And why was Raina not selected for the first three tests?
Due to a phenomenon called Sir Ravindra Jadeja!
Old 20th March 2013, 23:42   #7515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's not fair, it is just a sport, if you love it, you will watch it or atleast follow it.

Quote:

So sad that you think like this. Why get so complicated and defensive ? This is not a war between CSK and rest of IPL or MI, if it was, I would back CSK all the way except for one small man who does not seem to matter anymore to anyone.

Raina is in the team to be the 12th man, Sandeep Patil & co are not a bunch of jokers to dance to any ghost tunes. I admired the way they handled the Sehwag issue and the way they brought Dhawan in. So relax, we will beat the Ozs 4-0.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks