Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2013, 00:03   #7441
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Did anyone notice that the 2 practice games given to Australia were played in a college ground (Guru Nanak College)? No disrespect to the ground, but racking my brains, I cannot recall any instance of an International team playing in a college/university ground in Chennai. Why this step motherly treatment for the OZs who are more admirable than the Poms ?
The last time India toured Australia, they were given two practice games on the Manuka Oval on Canberra before the real action. Manuka Oval...capacity 13K, has hosted all of 3 ODI's in the past 25 years. A B grade venue, at best.

The previous tour, in 2008, Indians were given a solitary practice match against Victoria on the Junction Oval, a club-cricket ground, before the first test. Another B grade venue.

In the tour previous to that, in 2003, the Indians were given a practice match at the MCG, and another one at Allan Border Field, yet another B grade venue.

Long story short, I am not surprised the Australians are not playing their tour matches at major venues in India. It is just strategic, probably.
Old 18th February 2013, 00:16   #7442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
The last time India toured Australia, they were given two practice games on the Manuka Oval on Canberra before the real action. Manuka Oval...capacity 13K, has hosted all of 3 ODI's in the past 25 years. A B grade venue, at best.

The previous tour, in 2008, Indians were given a solitary practice match against Victoria on the Junction Oval, a club-cricket ground, before the first test. Another B grade venue.

In the tour previous to that, in 2003, the Indians were given a practice match at the MCG, and another one at Allan Border Field, yet another B grade venue.

Long story short, I am not surprised the Australians are not playing their tour matches at major venues in India. It is just strategic, probably.
Joshi, thanks for the updates, but still playing in a college ground takes the cake, it is not even a B grade ground (and we cannot compare a B ground in India with a B ground in Australia where sports is a part of everyday life) and it cant hold more than 1000 people standing at best, sitting would be like 200-350 (huddled) on concrete steps.
Old 18th February 2013, 03:00   #7443
BHPian

It could be the best alternative venue in Chennai at this point of time, given that the first test is in Chennai and the tourists need to play in/near Chennai to get into the groove.

Hopefully India will redeem itself against Australia at home. I still remember how pitifully the Indians were thrashed in their last tour to Australia.
Old 18th February 2013, 06:38   #7444
BHPian

Quote:
Did anyone notice that the 2 practice games given to Australia were played in a college ground (Guru Nanak College)? No disrespect to the ground, but racking my brains, I cannot recall any instance of an International team playing in a college/university ground in Chennai. Why this step motherly treatment for the OZs who are more admirable than the Poms ?
As far as I know, everywhere in the world touring teams generally play their practice games at such grounds. I don't think proper stadiums are usually used for this purpose. About the ground you mention, I specifically don't know much.

However, it probably wouldn't be wrong to speculate that they don't want to the give OZ too much of exposure to the actual track, and hence such tactics of trying to make them play on as different conditions from the actual as possible.
Old 18th February 2013, 12:14   #7445
BHPian

Quote:
Hope you also noticed which corporate entity maintains the ground?
Old 23rd February 2013, 10:31   #7446
BHPian

I feel that the only reason Harbhajan is playing this Test is because it's his 100th. I doubt whether he will get another one after this.

Looking at him on the field, he does not even remotely look like he belongs. He may be a fighter and has won a lot of matches for India, but playing Test cricket for the country needs to be a privilege that must be earned rather than commanded with past glory and reputation.
Old 25th February 2013, 13:20   #7447
BHPian

Awesome fight by the team. And Australia already 3 down...
Old 1st March 2013, 13:49   #7448
Senior - BHPian

Is it the February blues ? Why is there no discussion in this thread. Has everyone given up on Team India ?

The next 3 tests are not going to be so easy for India. Unless they show some real quality, the Oz pacemen will bowl us out especially if Mitch Johnson comes back. The only passage of quality play was on the morning of 3rd day when Sachin & Pujara held fort for the fiery first session.
Old 2nd March 2013, 17:26   #7449
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Well Micheal Clarke pulled off a surprise there by declaring the innings. It was a smart move i felt although it did not come off, both our nightwatchmen managed to survive the short spell!
I'm sure Ojha is feeling a bit threatened by Sir Ravindra Jadeja's success with the ball , now only if he could score some runs!
Old 3rd March 2013, 21:24   #7450
BHPian

Brilliant performance by Pujara & Vijay The Aussies bowled really well in the first session & India equally managed to play well. I was surprised with the way Vijay batted. Never in my life did I think I would praise him Hats off!!

This might indeed be Sehwag's last match. He looks woefully out of touch. With Gambhir scoring again in the domestic circuit, the selectors might think of Gambhir & Vijay. Whoever it may be, non-performers must be shown the door.
Old 3rd March 2013, 22:11   #7451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
I'm sure Ojha is feeling a bit threatened by Sir Ravindra Jadeja's success with the ball , now only if he could score some runs!
Who should score runs ? Jadeja or Ojha ?
Old 4th March 2013, 17:47   #7452
Senior - BHPian

Pathetic new stadium at Hyderabad. Absolutely no shelter from the sweltering heat. The fans also are being tested in this test match cauldron. There is simply no value for humans in this country.
Old 4th March 2013, 18:58   #7453
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it just me ? Getting the feeling that this may well be the last match (or maybe just one more after this) for Sehwag before he is dropped from the Test team.
Old 4th March 2013, 19:46   #7454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Is it just me ? Getting the feeling that this may well be the last match (or maybe just one more after this) for Sehwag before he is dropped from the Test team.
No, not just you, even sehwag knows that. He is looking forlorn in those glasses. He was known for his eye and now he needs help to see.
Old 4th March 2013, 21:29   #7455
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Remember Sehwag's tweet to Gambhir when he was dropped 'Will miss you champ', well Sehwag will soon join his buddy in Delhi if he continues his woeful form or if not Gambhir might tweet Sehwag the same thing!

Most Viewed