Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2019, 11:50   #11791
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

This Ashes test might end with a lame draw. Shame. I was enjoying the limited action till now.

Btw, Steve Smith is an enigma. The way he shuffles all the time he should be a prime candidate for lbw or bowled, especially when ball pitches on off and middle. But, every damn time he manages to put bat on it. Truly fascinating to watch. And as a Right handed batsman myself let me say, it's a freak thing to do and I dont think anyone else can manage this kind of technique with so much success. Truly enjoyable though.
Old 17th August 2019, 14:01   #11792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
But I admire his politicking ability to be able to retain his spot.
Like Kapil said in the press conference, they went only by the best presentation. That was the mandate they were given by BCCI. Shastri could probably afford a better PR firm to make his PPT.

The committee was supposed to give points for each criteria - like MasterChef, and Shastri scored the highest. There was also a second and third place.

PS: I'm sure alcoholism was not a criteria.
Old 17th August 2019, 14:14   #11793
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
This Ashes test might end with a lame draw. Shame. I was enjoying the limited action till now.

Btw, Steve Smith is an enigma. The way he shuffles all the time he should be a prime candidate for lbw or bowled, especially when ball pitches on off and middle. But, every damn time he manages to put bat on it. Truly fascinating to watch. And as a Right handed batsman myself let me say, it's a freak thing to do and I dont think anyone else can manage this kind of technique with so much success. Truly enjoyable though.
You've said it. He is as unconventional as anyone can get but still the best batter around.

And the way he leaves the deliveries outside offstump - let's just say that it is a piece of art.

Talking of competitive series, NZ is in SL and the first test is poised beautifully. Although I am only following it as I cannot bear watching cricket being played in SL.
Old 17th August 2019, 14:47   #11794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Like Kapil said in the press conference, they went only by the best presentation. That was the mandate they were given by BCCI. Shastri could probably afford a better PR firm to make his PPT.

The committee was supposed to give points for each criteria - like MasterChef, and Shastri scored the highest. There was also a second and third place.

PS: I'm sure alcoholism was not a criteria.
Apparently as per Kapil they awarded points for various criterias. Shastri scored most on basis of 2 things -
1. He gave them solid data about India's 71% win across all formats under him. Which in itself is quite a remarkable thing to achieve.
2. His clarification on why they failed to Win the World cup and his vision of how to win the upcoming ones.

The committee was thoroughly impressed by both things and that went in his favor. Also as per them Kohli had no say in the selection process and wasn't even consulted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
You've said it. He is as unconventional as anyone can get but still the best batter around.

And the way he leaves the deliveries outside offstump - let's just say that it is a piece of art.

Talking of competitive series, NZ is in SL and the first test is poised beautifully. Although I am only following it as I cannot bear watching cricket being played in SL.
I will disagree a little. Smith may have higher Test average at the moment but I still rate Kohli as a better batsman. Especially as Kohli is a master in shorter formats too where Smith struggles big time. Though I do agree on his leaving the balls ability. People call him ugly to watch but I love seeing him bat.

Following NZ vs SL online. SL is in a very good position needing only 230 odd now to win. I think NZ is a little hampered by not having a world class spinner in their side.
Old 17th August 2019, 19:33   #11795
BHPian

Archer on fire bowling at 90+ mph. Hope Steve is ok and comes back to complete yet another century

Last edited by AltoLXI : 17th August 2019 at 19:35.
Old 23rd August 2019, 18:06   #11796
PPS
Senior - BHPian

England seem to be on the verge of another loss looking at their brittle batting!

Meanwhile,interesting selection yesterday for the 1st IND-WI Test. Shastri had said after the Australian tour that going ahead Kuldeep would be their no.1 spinner in foreign conditions. Yesterday Jadeja after a good WC2019 Semi Final was the only spinner in the playing XI inspite of Ashwin having a better record against WI.

This whole BCCI/COA/CAC handling of the interview process for the coached has been a joke what with Jonty Rhodes not even good enough to be in the top 3!
Old 23rd August 2019, 21:25   #11797
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Yesterday Jadeja after a good WC2019 Semi Final was the only spinner in the playing XI inspite of Ashwin having a better record against WI.
Jadeja has played only 1 match in WI before this. He did a little better than Ashwin in that match.
Old 23rd August 2019, 22:27   #11798
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Ashes third test is poised well with Australia having a lead of 245 and at 133/4 in their second innings.

Just when I thought England had done a great job to bowl out the Aussies for 179 in the first innings and were in with a good chance, they crashed to 67 all out in their first innings!

300-350 lead for Australia should tilt the match hugely in their favour.

---
Meanwhile, India managed to get a decent score just short of 300 thanks to Jadeja and Ishant in the end.

West Indies are off to a quick start of 26/0 in the 6th over thanks to Campbell.

Two good Test matches in progress currently

Last edited by NPV : 23rd August 2019 at 22:28.
Old 24th August 2019, 18:28   #11799
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

England 15/2 in their second innings, needing another 344 runs for what seems like an improbable victory.

Earlier, Australia managed a very good score in their second innings to take the lead beyond 350
Old 25th August 2019, 20:19   #11800
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

What an incredible innings so far by Ben Stokes (96 not out) taking England to the threshold of a magical win. He has for company, Jack Leach batting at the other end.
37 runs to get and 9 wickets down. Stokes is playing unconventional shots like the switch hit and very successful so far.
"Stokes gets his century with a boundary!

Stokes smashing 6's, just 21 needed now!

Last edited by NPV : 25th August 2019 at 20:24.
Old 25th August 2019, 20:47   #11801
BHPian

The best test match ever !!!

Very inspiring as well. Down in the dumps after getting bowled out for 67, it was a magnificent recovery by England.

Disappointed as well as I was supporting Australia.
Old 25th August 2019, 20:47   #11802
Distinguished - BHPian

What a crazy few minutes of test cricket!! Lyon fumbling and missing that sure shot run out, stupid review by Australia, and an umpiring error the very next over!

That man Stokes has some woodoo luck!!
Old 25th August 2019, 20:53   #11803
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Disappointed as well as I was supporting Australia.
Luck favours the brave
Australia wasted an important review (their last) for a ball that pitched outside leg stump and paid the price when they couldn't review Ben Stokes in the next over! They also dropped a crucial catch and missed a run out opportunity and ended up on the losing side, even Stevens in the end.
Old 25th August 2019, 21:00   #11804
Distinguished - BHPian

What a match! Ben Stokes' time it is and he's making the best out of it.! Rising from the Ashes to make Ashes 2019 level at 1-1. Sindhu winning and this. Wonderful end to the Weekend
Old 25th August 2019, 21:05   #11805
Team-BHP Support

Bring on 2005!!!

Flintoff = Stokes

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks