Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2019, 17:30   #11641
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I don't get why KL Rahul and Rayudu are in the squad; they'd rather play DK. Wonder if things would be better if they persisted with Rahane.
Not sure about KL Rahul, but I agree to your take on Rayudu and Rahane....always felt Rahane is underrated in ODIs, especially now that our team has no solid middle-order batsman.
Old 11th March 2019, 18:03   #11642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
Kohli is not a good captain in the limited overs format. He is way too emotional and doesn't take cold calculated decisions. Anyone who spends any time looking at RCB in the IPL will agree with this.
Yes, RCB would do better if they remove Kohli as captain.

I don't agree that his emotions affect him from being good captain. His emotions doesn't affect his batting. It is poor excuse for Kohli's shortcoming (just like weight of nation on Tendulkar's shoulder ).

He is unable to put brake on when the opposing batman goes hammer and tongs. Dhoni did that effectively. Hence Dhoni has won far more close ODI/T20 games while defending than Kohli.

Kohli has perched far high on the BCCI tree that he will stay there for long.

Last edited by msdivy : 11th March 2019 at 18:08.
Old 11th March 2019, 18:14   #11643
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redCherry View Post
always felt Rahane is underrated in ODIs, especially now that our team has no solid middle-order batsman.
We can't afford to have 2 batsman (other being Dhoni) playing high percentage of dot balls in the middle overs. Rahane was publicly criticized by the Coach or Captain in the past for not rotating the strike.
Old 11th March 2019, 22:37   #11644
BHPian

I am a bit amazed by reactions of the loss. Just because of a high 1st innings score, you expect that we will talk over Australia? Yes, there were some tactical errors, specially not going for wickets when Aussies were 2 down for nothing really; but dew was clearly playing on Kohli's mind.
It's fine to have a bad day, it teaches you more than the wins do. People are also being too harsh on Pant (and I am that guy who adores MSD), stumping down the leg side is usually very tough, he is learning and he will get better. Turner played one heck of an innings, the ridiculous ease with which he was hitting those sixes was amazing to see.

Remember in the grand scheme of things, no one will remember this series. It's better to focus on giving your players chances at situations where you are likely to see them.

I absolutely do not like Rahul being tried at 3 and Kohli at 4, this will be shut down pretty quickly I imagine. I just don't see that happening in the WC. A word on Shankar, he quite clearly can bat; however, is he a that good at 4? He gets the cute 30's and 40's and never a substantial score. We should have tried him a lot earlier than; now it's creating more confusion than anything else. I'll stick to Raydu, a bit more mature and hope he gets going. It also does not help that Shankar looks a terrific fielder too.

Again, it's good that India was tested, we lost yes, but should help India focus more.
Old 11th March 2019, 23:21   #11645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Yes, RCB would do better if they remove Kohli as captain.

I don't agree that his emotions affect him from being good captain. His emotions doesn't affect his batting. It is poor excuse for Kohli's shortcoming (just like weight of nation on Tendulkar's shoulder ).

He is unable to put brake on when the opposing batman goes hammer and tongs. Dhoni did that effectively. Hence Dhoni has won far more close ODI/T20 games while defending than Kohli.

Kohli has perched far high on the BCCI tree that he will stay there for long.
I hope you realize Kohli has higher winning percentage in tests and Odis than all previous captains including Dhoni?
Yes, Dhoni has been a good tactician in LOI but his test record as Captain especially in SENA countries is mediocre where Kohli is doing extremely well.
No one can put brakes once batsman gets into groove these days. Even Windies almost chased the 400+ score of England recently.

Once again, Kohli can't bowl and field for others. When bowlers will bowl pies and fielders will drop catches what can Kohli do. It's a team game.

Too much over reaction for 1 match. These days anything up to 400 is chase able.

Also, Pant is new, he will learn. Even MSD makes mistakes. I don't mind this defeat. Turner played a gem. Only Pandya in our team can play such innings and he is mostly injured these days.
Old 12th March 2019, 09:55   #11646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I hope you realize Kohli has higher winning percentage in tests and Odis than all previous captains including Dhoni?
Yes, Dhoni has been a good tactician in LOI but his test record as Captain especially in SENA countries is mediocre where Kohli is doing extremely well
I beg to differ on this assessment, Kohli apart from winning in Australia does not have anything else to show for in SENA countries. Dhoni also does not have a good record there but he never went to these places with such a good bowling attack that led many to consider India favorites to win the series.

Many of the recent losses in these counties can be attributed to tactical errors especially in team selection.

At least for now his win percentage is still due to exceptional performances at home but I do hope it changes in the future.
Old 12th March 2019, 14:46   #11647
Senior - BHPian

Rayudu is well past his prime and one can hardly remember any good score from him against a decent opposition in his career. Rahul and Vijay Shankar could be our 4th and 5th batsmen. Sanju Samson and Ishan Kishen should also be given a chance to prove their skills in ODI's.
Old 12th March 2019, 15:07   #11648
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Rayudu is well past his prime and one can hardly remember any good score from him against a decent opposition in his career.
Well, it may not be entirely fair to him since he has done well in recent times, but looks like his luck with selectors will run out soon.

Quote:
Rahul and Vijay Shankar could be our 4th and 5th batsmen.
This is likely what is being tried out currently.

Quote:
Sanju Samson and Ishan Kishen should also be given a chance to prove their skills in ODI's.
Too late to experiment now with world cup in mind, but yes for the future these guys will hopefully get more chances.
Old 13th March 2019, 19:32   #11649
BHPian

I was just going to write, it is an amazing opportunity for Shankar to play a substantial innings and as is usually the case, he gets out after a cute 16. Just ridiculous how this guy gets out. Pant wasted his chance too.

I am fairly sure, atleast both of them are not making the cut. Both of them have wasted so many chances that KL Rahul must be thanking his stars. And with IPL around the corner (and the recency effect), he might make the cut; even though he might be the least most likely to make the XI.
Old 13th March 2019, 19:33   #11650
Distinguished - BHPian

Irrespective of who wins the Ind Vs Aus one day series, Indian team's weakness as a team is exposed! Kohli and Rohit for batting, Kuldeep and Bumrah for Bowling, MSD for keeping and as a calming influence. Apart from this, we have no other bankable players. If 6 out of 11 are not bankable players, it's highly difficult to win a "team" game's biggest event. 6-9 months back I had high hopes of Indian ODI team's winning chances. But if you ask me now, I don't think we'll go past semi-finals!

for the remaining 6 we will have 14 probables!
Dhawan, Rayudu, DK, Jadhav, Rahul, Shankar, Hardik, Krunal, Pant, Bhuvi, Chahal, Jadeja, Shami, U Yadav,

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 13th March 2019 at 19:43.
Old 13th March 2019, 19:43   #11651
BHPian

That's the game there. It will be a miracle if the team can make 141 off 130 balls now. No Dew, this is the 3rd time we've been at the wrong end of it

These games have probably proved, India needs MSD at 4.
Old 13th March 2019, 20:10   #11652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kohli is one of the top ODI Batman in the history and No 1 ODI batsmen when it comes to chasing in the history of cricket.
Quote:
PS: One nitpick on Dhoni would be that he didn't seem he was in control of test matches, or didn't show the same intensity as he was in ODIs & T20s and let the game drift away from victory.
These were my comments on Kohli in ODI and Dhoni in Tests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Yes, Dhoni has been a good tactician in LOI but his test record as Captain especially in SENA countries is mediocre where Kohli is doing extremely well.
Dhoni, as a captain, didn't seem to have the same intensity for Test matches compared to ODIs & T20s. Hence Kolhi has edge over Dhoni in tests.
Quote:
No one can put brakes once batsman gets into groove these days.
If you check, successful teams in IPL have done that - put brakes on batsmen who is going berserk. RCB, with a star-studded lineup, hasn't been able to put brakes but brakes have been put on their batsman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
for the remaining 6 we will have 14 probables!
Dhawan, Rayudu, DK, Jadhav, Rahul, Shankar, Hardik, Krunal, Pant, Bhuvi, Chahal, Jadeja, Shami, U Yadav,
Are these guys good on English pitches?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
That's the game there. It will be a miracle if the team can make 141 off 130 balls now.
Before the match, Kohli said "India are one of the best chasing teams in the world." He forgot to add that is only when he plays.

PS: Just now Jadhav played a maiden of a spinner with RR of 9+

Last edited by msdivy : 13th March 2019 at 20:23.
Old 13th March 2019, 20:32   #11653
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
But if you ask me now, I don't think we'll go past semi-finals!
Our current ODI team is a winning combination only in certain circumstances, like flat batting tracks, chasing (probably need to win the toss as well), top order coming good or an exceptional bowling performance. Any other unexpected turn (Turner in the last game for example ) and we're on the mat.

I think the top teams in this World Cup would be England, Australia, New Zealand, West Indies (they barely just qualified for this World Cup but have had some amazing games recently) and then India and of course the Pakistanis and South Africans can always spring surprises.

Last edited by NPV : 13th March 2019 at 20:34.
Old 13th March 2019, 23:28   #11654
PPS
Senior - BHPian

I think this series loss & specially after being 2-0 up is nothing short of a humiliation ( i know i'm exaggerating a bit) since these are our home conditions. Aussies who came as a weak team, go back a formidable team!

This is a good wake-up call for Team India. We also should not forget that we lost the ODI series in England as well.

I think there's just 1 spot up for grabs now - between Pant & Karthik. I'm sure the selectors will look at their performances during the IPL which should never have been the case!
Old 20th March 2019, 19:30   #11655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Aussies who came as a weak team, go back a formidable team!
I have been hearing this about the weak Aussie team for some time now and I have never concurred. Just because they dont have Warner & Smith, does not make them a weak team. Those pundits might eat their humble pie too.

They do not have an apparent problem with spin like most others hence specially Kuldeep didn't have much of an impact. And to me that has been a huge difference between India & others.

Again, to me they are in my Top 3 for the WC. Almost like the dark horse, no one is paying enough attention to.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks