Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2019, 18:00   #11611
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaseer View Post
As per Reports today in Times of India, BCCI are trying to find a way to ban Pakistan from participating in the World Cup.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/68093386.cms
I for one believe we shouldn't be playing against them in a bilateral series (at least for any time soon), but a multi-nation, pre-scheduled event should be fine.

On the side note, funny thing is, ticket demand for India-Pak league match is 4,00,000.
To put things in perspective, demand for tickets to a Aus-Eng match and World cup finals is roughly 2,70,000, each.
Source : https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cri...998-2019-02-20
Old 21st February 2019, 20:08   #11612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
They can pull it off if they want to. All they need to tell the ICC is that we will not participate if Pakistan participates. Without Indian sponsors the WC will be a massive loss making venture. ICC will be left with an easy decision to make.

But the COA is full of incompetent buffoons. Srinivasan would have made it happen.
No they can't. There is a guy at ICC called Shashank Manohar, who is usually good with calling bluffs and in this case it would be the BCCI's. It's crazy to even contemplate India not playing, even crazier to contemplate Pak getting banned (as is being proposed). Even if we want to forfeit points playing against Pak, will we do the same if we meet in a knockout?
Old 22nd February 2019, 10:29   #11613
Team-BHP Support

Related news:

Quote:
The International Olympic Committee have suspended all Indian applications to host future events and urged international sports federations not to stage competitions in the country after two Pakistanis were denied visas to compete in New Delhi
https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/oth...130-2019-02-22

India could boycott the match with Pak but asking ICC to bar Pak from participating in the WC probably will not be without significant repercussions.
Old 22nd February 2019, 10:46   #11614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Ha! This is the same IOC organization that was ok hosting the Olympics in Hitler-led Nazi Germany!

Now normally I'm one of those guys who believes sport and politics should be separate, and I'm not one for jingoism, but there are too many instances of double standards here. Didn't the world stop sports with SA during apartheid? Pakistan is a failed state by every parameter and should be treated as such.

Anyway, we should play them and beat them as we usually do in World Cups.

Last edited by am1m : 22nd February 2019 at 10:47.
Old 22nd February 2019, 10:58   #11615
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
there are too many instances of double standards here.
Well, that's because India lacks any or all clout in world sports contrary to the massive say it commands in cricket.

Just as we've banned Pak players in IPL, not had any bilateral ties with Pak and that broadcaster pulled out from PSL, I feel we should boycott any matches with Pak.

I'd have tremendous respect for the Indian team even if we got eliminated from the WC just because we didn't play Pak.
Old 22nd February 2019, 11:05   #11616
BHPian

The economics of Ind-Pak encounter will bulldoze everything else. At the end of the day all sport is based on cash flow to make it viable. While BCCI has all the clout, ICC has a trump card named 'Shashank Manohar', he will run through the chaotic BCCI management like hot knife. The guys who could take him on, the likes of Dalmiya, Srinivasan, will grab a popcorn and enjoy the ring side seats when this goes down.
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:39   #11617
Distinguished - BHPian

Perhaps the IPL franchises can ask their foreign players to chose between playing in the IPL or the PSL? Should be an easy choice really and that will put some pressure on Pak cricket who should be able to put some pressure on their Govt/Army (same-thing).

Not fair? Well, if the US can pressure India to stop buying oil from Venezuela, I think this is a legit tactic too.

Edit: Just took a look at the PSL team rosters and barring a couple of stars (Dyawne Bravo and AB), perhaps not much to be gained from that.

Last edited by am1m : 22nd February 2019 at 12:42.
Old 22nd February 2019, 13:10   #11618
Distinguished - BHPian

Ideally, as BCCI and ICC, I would do this in the Wold cup.

1. Boycott Ind V Pak group match.
2. Semifinal...make a conditional scheduling. Currently it is 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3. If India and Pakistan end up at 1 and 4, then make it 1 vs 3 and 2 vs 4. If India and Pakistan end up at 1 and 3, continue as it is.
3. Final...I do not foresee and Ind Vs Pak finals but take a decision at the last minute if India and Pakistan reach there. leave it entirely to BCCI and the team.

For all the talk that our cricketers do saying that they play more for the country than for personal gains; that they wear the India flag/jersey with pride. This is the time they really show that they really mean it. No world cup is greater the country. Period.

But I'm sure if there is an Ind Vs Pak final, We'll hear "We'll play them and make them lose badly"

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 22nd February 2019 at 13:11.
Old 22nd February 2019, 14:23   #11619
Distinguished - BHPian

Been doing some reading on similar boycotts or potential boycotts of matches during the history of the Football WC. Seems to be that in all cases, it's been the boycotting side that has lost out more than the side/tournament being boycotted. It may make a difference to the country that chooses to boycott a game or a tournament, but from a neutral point of view and a global sporting historical standpoint, when looking back after decades, the boycotting nation certainly looks like the one that lost out. Unless of course it's a SA-during-aparthied type of situation where all nations follow the boycott.

So unless we can convince at least 3 more test playing sides to boycott Pak matches (which is going to be impossible), I think we're better off playing them in the WC.

Last edited by am1m : 22nd February 2019 at 14:29.
Old 22nd February 2019, 16:20   #11620
BHPian

Avoiding Pak - Ind matches is really stupid. It's a shame if this is the best India can do in response to the attacks. For all those who are for this cricket ban, I hope you also avoid international flights that fly over Pak airspace and check the nationality of your cab driver before taking a seat or of the cook before ordering a meal when abroad.
Old 22nd February 2019, 20:15   #11621
Team-BHP Support

Sri Lanka is on the verge of creating history in South Africa. 197 runs to win the series.
Old 22nd February 2019, 21:48   #11622
PPS
Senior - BHPian

The COA haven't come to any conclusion on the Koffee with Karan controvery yet, on something as important as a World Cup game is asking for too much in too little time.
Surely, there will be some sort of intimation from the Government on this a few months down the line.
Old 24th February 2019, 23:42   #11623
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Knew as soon as Umesh Yadav was going to bowl the last over, it was going to go down right to the wire.

I don't think the team is taking this format seriously enough, these are just auditions for WC squad.

In this format its common sense now to have a 6th bowling option. Invariably one among the 5 bowlers has a bad day.

In hindsight, the 2 refused by Dhoni while batting in last over among countless singles proved to be decisive in the end!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th February 2019 at 16:37. Reason: Spacing
Old 25th February 2019, 07:37   #11624
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Knew as soon as Umesh Yadav was going to bowl the last over, it was going to go down right to the wire.
Absolutely. Umesh simply lacks intent and even his fielding off his own bowling is bad. All the good work done by Bumrah in the 19th over was undone by Umesh in the 20th.
The batsmen are also to blame - after starting off well, 120 odd was a below par score, we should have had 150+ on the board.
Old 25th February 2019, 16:11   #11625
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Sri Lanka is on the verge of creating history in South Africa. 197 runs to win the series.
Simply awesome from SL! If we had pulled this off, what a media overload there would have been. I do hope we pull this off too, but really happy the Lankans did this. Like '96 ushered in a period where they were really competitive, I hope this signals a similar rise in their cricketing fortunes. Hope their board politics don't ruin things for them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks