Team-BHP > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2021, 17:29   #13111
BHPian
 
TorqueyTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Robin hood city
Posts: 875
Thanked: 1,387 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Congrats everyone. Pink ball test coming up.

So, in all likelihood, one spinner will be replaced by a seamer so Kuldeep for Bumrah seems the obvious choice.

Would India also want to swap Axar with Shardul?

How did the new ground and pitch play during the recently held Syed Mushtaq Ali trophy?
I read that Shami and Saini are coming back to the team, so maybe Bumrah for Kuldeep and Shami for Axar. Not sure if there will be dew in Ahmedabad but if so they might go with a lone spinner.
TorqueyTechie is offline  
Old 16th February 2021, 17:51   #13112
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Congrats everyone. Pink ball test coming up.

So, in all likelihood, one spinner will be replaced by a seamer so Kuldeep for Bumrah seems the obvious choice.

Would India also want to swap Axar with Shardul?

How did the new ground and pitch play during the recently held Syed Mushtaq Ali trophy?
I guess only Bumrah swaps in for Kuldeep.
During the SMA tournament, the pitch was very sportive and assisted both fast and spinners alike. Spinners will again play a major part in the new stadium. With atleast 50% capacity of fans allowed(?), this should be a one hell of a environment in this new stadium.
mailbalaji is offline  
Old 16th February 2021, 20:10   #13113
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,405 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Ashwin is the most politically incorrect cricketer we have.. speaks his mind on everything- his views about young upcoming cricketers in India team-

Context- He was asked about Indian fans behaviour about Rishabh Pant especially when they started chanting Dhoni Dhoni when he made few mistakes in a white ball game.

"I didn't think I would say this but I am coming out and saying it," Ashwin said. "But because you are asking me this question, I couldn't think of anything else. About two months ago we had a cricketer called Cameron Green who made his debut for Australia. Even before he made his debut, everybody said he was the next big thing. And as he was playing, I think he got one fifty in the entire series. I don't think he got a wicket through the series. But how much he was built up and how much confidence he was given back in Australia made me reflect and think about how we as a community treat our cricketers when they come through, the young ones. It gave me a massive perspective.

"Rishabh Pant is an excellent cricketer. There are many more excellent excellent cricketers who are there in the squad and outside of the team scheme as well. They are all excellent cricketers. We believe they are excellent. That is why they end up playing for the country. And when they play for the country, it is almost as if we are searching for what is wrong with them.

"Rishabh Pant was always going to be a good cricketer, he was always going to improve. Only if we back them in such a way that they can improve, they will improve faster. But if you are going to find those loopholes and faults, cricketers are going to take that much longer. It is more of a mindset issue for us. As a community we should be able to embrace how good a cricketer is. We can [choose to] see a lot of positives, but we tend to choose the negatives. If we see a lot more positives, we will see a lot more champion cricketers."

ESPNcricinfo.

Last edited by harry10 : 16th February 2021 at 20:11.
harry10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 20:56   #13114
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 6,445
Thanked: 7,835 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Pink ball test coming up.
The pink ball test in India will not be using the pink kookaburra ball is it ?

India did struggle in Adelaide so wondering if a different pink ball will help them play better in Motera ?
NPV is offline  
Old 16th February 2021, 21:04   #13115
Senior - BHPian
 
AtheK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,140
Thanked: 3,424 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The pink ball test in India will not be using the pink kookaburra ball is it ?

India did struggle in Adelaide so wondering if a different pink ball will help them play better in Motera ?
We used SG pink ball in Kolkata test, don't see that changing in Moetra, should be a SG ball.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 21:37   #13116
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
We used SG pink ball in Kolkata test, don't see that changing in Moetra, should be a SG ball.
Yes it indeed is SG ball for the Motera D/N Test. England have played only with Dukes and Kookaburra Pink balls. This will be a new challenge for them as well.

But with ever ageing & performing Anderson, Broad and Archer (if fit), Poms have a good attack for the Pink ball test.

Fingers crossed !
mailbalaji is offline  
Old 16th February 2021, 22:47   #13117
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 690
Thanked: 1,292 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

My XI:

R Sharma
S Gill
C Pujara
V Kohli
M Agrawal
R Pant
R Ashwin
J Bhumrah
M Siraj
M Shami
I Sharma
VWAllstar is offline  
Old 16th February 2021, 23:55   #13118
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 57
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
My XI:

R Sharma
S Gill
C Pujara
V Kohli
M Agrawal
R Pant
R Ashwin
J Bhumrah
M Siraj
M Shami
I Sharma
4 pacers and that too with 0 batting abilities can cause big problems. Also idts the management will drop the vice captain just after a match defining partnership!
I think I Sharma will be rested and Shardul can come in his place which can strengthen the tail a little.

Last edited by jigar : 16th February 2021 at 23:58.
jigar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 00:11   #13119
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,405 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
My XI:

R Sharma
S Gill
C Pujara
V Kohli
M Agrawal
R Pant
R Ashwin
J Bhumrah
M Siraj
M Shami
I Sharma
Rahane won't be dropped. Even if he does nothing in next match he will still play last match.

I won't predict the 11 till we get a pitch report which usually happens couple of days before match starts. Looking at last match bcci and team management will look for another spinning track, also SG pink balls may not behave like Duke's or Kookaburra. Even if it's a seaming track we will definitely play Ashwin and Axar.
harry10 is offline  
Old 17th February 2021, 00:25   #13120
Senior - BHPian
 
landcruiser123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New Almaden, CA
Posts: 2,483
Thanked: 5,208 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

The second test mirrored the first one - bat first, score big, and put the opposition under the pump. In all honesty, I thought the Indians underestimated England and played mediocre cricket in the 1st Test.

Rohit has now sealed his place for the next 10 test matches with the big century. For the D/N test, Bumrah will replace Kuldeep. I don't see any other changes except due to injury.
landcruiser123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 06:22   #13121
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 690
Thanked: 1,292 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar View Post
Also idts the management will drop the vice captain just after a match defining partnership!
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Rahane won't be dropped. Even if he does nothing in next match he will still play last match.
Unfortunately both of you are right. Rahane is the nicest guy in the team with a good rapport with the Captain and coach. His record in India is quite below average for a number 5 pure batsman. With Kohli around, he is bound to get an extended run even if he continues to play ordinary. This is why players like S Iyer, K Nair, KL Rahul and many other performing players in domestic circuit hardly get an opportunity at the highest level. We Indians go with past legacy and emotions than numbers and current form.
VWAllstar is offline  
Old 17th February 2021, 08:52   #13122
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 708
Thanked: 371 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Funny thing is our forum. Just couple of pages back, Rahane was being recommended for test captaincy, and in 2 matches he is being replaced by Bhpians. And the replacements proposed are M. Agarwal and S. Iyer. Mayank Agarwal made hardly any impact in tests in Australia and same is with S. Iyer in all the matches he played in white ball cricket in Australia.

Not sure which domestic matches these guys have played between these tours and performed stupendously to make a case for inclusion in test squad.
shipnil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 09:21   #13123
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,405 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Unfortunately both of you are right. Rahane is the nicest guy in the team with a good rapport with the Captain and coach. His record in India is quite below average for a number 5 pure batsman. With Kohli around, he is bound to get an extended run even if he continues to play ordinary. This is why players like S Iyer, K Nair, KL Rahul and many other performing players in domestic circuit hardly get an opportunity at the highest level. We Indians go with past legacy and emotions than numbers and current form.
The only player who can replace Rahane now is Mayank Agarwal who has an outstanding record in tests in India. Karun Nair has below average domestic record since ages, KL Rahul isn't playing domestic and has always failed in tests outside India. Iyer has good domestic record so he can be tried when time comes. However, Rahane will play this series. If he fails in both tests then maybe selectors may wake up and do something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Funny thing is our forum. Just couple of pages back, Rahane was being recommended for test captaincy, and in 2 matches he is being replaced by Bhpians. And the replacements proposed are M. Agarwal and S. Iyer. Mayank Agarwal made hardly any impact in tests in Australia and same is with S. Iyer in all the matches he played in white ball cricket in Australia.

Not sure which domestic matches these guys have played between these tours and performed stupendously to make a case for inclusion in test squad.
Not me. If you go by my comment history I have always maintained Rahane doesn't deserves to be in team and his contribution is just one good innings per series. Also, i have always maintained Kohli is excellent as Captain in tests and should remain so.

Mayank played as an opener in Australia and had a rough time. When he played in middle he looked better. He has performed consistently since his debut both home and away so he deserves more chances. Also, his domestic record is impeccable.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 09:30   #13124
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: World
Posts: 121
Thanked: 100 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Ashwin is the most politically incorrect cricketer we have.. speaks his mind on everything- his views about young upcoming cricketers in India team-
.
.

"... Only if we back them in such a way that they can improve, they will improve faster. But if you are going to find those loopholes and faults, cricketers are going to take that much longer. It is more of a mindset issue for us. As a community we should be able to embrace how good a cricketer is. We can [choose to] see a lot of positives, but we tend to choose the negatives. If we see a lot more positives, we will see a lot more champion cricketers."

I fail to see how this can be interpreted as "politically incorrect". .. I rather see a cerebral cricketer, -- a rather uncommon sort, going by the 'expert' comments all over the media.
.

Last edited by meerkat : 17th February 2021 at 09:34.
meerkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 12:57   #13125
Senior - BHPian
 
landcruiser123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New Almaden, CA
Posts: 2,483
Thanked: 5,208 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/f...ricket-1252080

Sad to see the legend go. With RSA being not so competitive in the recent few series, I'm really not enjoying the two-tiered system Test cricket has become.
landcruiser123 is online now  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks