Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2021, 09:53   #13021
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

I doubt if this match will have a result.

England has managed to save a defeat.

I would expect India to cross 400 at the min and most likely score close to 500 in the first innings.
Old 7th February 2021, 11:17   #13022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Root's plan clearly seems to be to score 600+ and try and get India out twice by enforcing a follow on.
That is India's plan to lose. To win, India needs to score 400 on day 3, another 400 on day 4. Then with a lead of 200, get England out on final day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Let's see what happens in next test.
Captain Kohli doesn't like to repeat the team. He has a record of not playing the same XI again. The best XI doesn't always play. There will be a weak link in the playing XI.
Old 7th February 2021, 11:48   #13023
BHPian

Well both openers are back in the pavilion. I just hope the rest don’t just crash under the scoreboard pressure. In an ideal case, with no win likely, I would want India to bat out 3 full days and make the English bowlers chase some leather in Chennai heat, so they are fatigued for the next test.
Old 7th February 2021, 12:19   #13024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
You forgot to mention that this was after the Adelaide debacle when we lost on the third day after scoring our lowest test total yet. The context is important. To be brutally honest i had my doubts as well. But whatever, enjoy the win. Its well deserved.

P.S. Went back to page 830 onwards to read comments after we got out for 36. I wasnt the only one doubting our capability to compete especially in the absence of Kohli
You should have gone at least 1 page before and you wouldn't have missed this post of mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Except for Shaw, who in my opinion should have been replaced by Gill, I don't think there is any issue with the team selection. Shaw's selection was a surprise but knowing the way in which Kohli/Shastri work this should not have been a surprise. The fielding was bad - 3 dropped dolly catches unpardonable and that's what has hurt India in this test match more than the 2nd innings failure.

However I expect the team to come back strong in the rest of the series.

Last edited by searacer932 : 7th February 2021 at 12:21.
Old 7th February 2021, 13:19   #13025
BHPian

Looks like from here (73/4), even avoiding follow-on itself is an achievement, still to get over 300 runs to avoid follow-on.
And with pitch starting to spin and more than 500 runs behind with 7 sessions to go, can only see the possibility of just 1 result from here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
Well both openers are back in the pavilion. I just hope the rest don’t just crash under the scoreboard pressure. In an ideal case, with no win likely, I would want India to bat out 3 full days and make the English bowlers chase some leather in Chennai heat, so they are fatigued for the next test.
redCherry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 13:49   #13026
Oxy
BHPian

How hard is it to prepare square raging turners, like what we have in the ongoing Pakistan v SA series? It's just infuriating to see us struggling at home.
Old 7th February 2021, 14:00   #13027
Senior - BHPian

After watching Nadeem bowl, I think it was a mistake to drop Kuldeep and pick him instead. He seems like a good line and length bowler but his skills and variations are at best in the league of all-rounders like Sundar and Jadeja. I don't think he is in the same level as Ashwin or Kuldeep.
Old 7th February 2021, 16:33   #13028
Oxy
BHPian

Meanwhile, WI have pulled off the highest successful run chase in Asia against Bangladesh. Kyle Mayers scored a second innings double hundred on debut. A historic win for the West Indies.
Oxy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 18:22   #13029
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Meanwhile, WI have pulled off the highest successful run chase in Asia against Bangladesh. Kyle Mayers scored a second innings double hundred on debut. A historic win for the West Indies.
What an amazing debut, Bangladesh went on to lose the test after declaring their second innings

Well deserved for West Indies and Kyle, they need a revival badly and also need more consistency in their performances.

Back on the India-England test, Pant was unlucky (again) to miss out on a century but he just tore apart Jack Leach's bowling. He now has 3 scores of 90's in Tests.

Even if India get to 300+ but can't get to 379 (follow on target), will England enforce the follow on ? Maybe they will take bat their second innings and bat a session to try and get another 100-150 runs ?

Last edited by NPV : 7th February 2021 at 18:28.
Old 7th February 2021, 19:20   #13030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
...Bangladesh went on to lose the test after declaring their second innings...
OK, I have to confess. One of my favourite things to watch on YouTube is matches where Bangladesh snatch a loss from the jaws of victory.

That DK cameo...
That Dhoni run out ...

And now this match
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 21:29   #13031
Senior - BHPian

Sir Gordon Greenidge will be proud with Kyle Meyers for making the opposition pay for a declaration with an imposing doubt century. Kyle missed that magic number by 4 runs.
Old 7th February 2021, 22:06   #13032
BHPian

A good day for the English Bowlers. Pant shall learn on when to attack and imbibe some patience from the mighty Pujara. The latter looked in great touch and probably would have squared off Root's individual score for India.

On the other side, what is brewing between Kuldeep and Siraj? There is a video going around with Siraj holding Kuldeep's neck aggressively. One of the news channel has gone ahead and said that they both had a physical fight in the dressing room. Feel for Kuldeep, he isn't going through good days.
Old 7th February 2021, 22:13   #13033
Senior - BHPian

Saw highlights. Kohli and rahane poor shot selection. Pant is pant so can't complain. People should realize he won't be even making these 90's if he won't play his natural attacking game. Gill gifted wicket. Rohit got a good delivery. Pujara was so damn unlucky.

Hopefully Ashwin and Sundar can stretch the innings as much as they can.

Don't think England will give follow on even if they have option.

Last edited by harry10 : 7th February 2021 at 22:14.
Old 8th February 2021, 09:51   #13034
KPR
BANNED

What I suspect is India falling into trap that it had set up for England. There is going to vicious spin after lunch. The toss is going to be the decider then between both sides this series.

Meanwhile one more 4th innings chase at Rawalpindi is going to be nail-biting. Today who is going to be the hero from SA? Pant, Kyle Meyers have done it unbeaten.
Old 8th February 2021, 11:18   #13035
Senior - BHPian

A great inning again by Sundar. Sadly Indian tail(9/10/11) couldn’t even bat for a few balls, else he would have got his maiden century. English batsmen will mostly look to score a quickfire 160-200 and set a 400+ target for India.

Hopefully the Indian star batsmen (Rohit/Kohli) show some resilience in the 2nd innings and it’s not left to only Pujara,Pant and Sundar again.

Edit: Off to a good start with England loosing a wicket on 1st ball

Last edited by SoumenD : 8th February 2021 at 11:27.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks