Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2023, 11:36   #16381
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
FYI our bowling average is 23.52 in the last 5 years and is the best by any team in the world in Test Match Cricket. Yet they are nowhere near their potential and nowhere close to being world beaters due to absurd team decisions.
This number cannot be taken objectively. It is in a large part due to the long home season with almost all tests being played on rank turners where our spinners have run through batting sides time and again.

Then again, us not being world beaters has a lot to do with our fragile batting. We have simply not been able to consistently put enough runs on the board for the bowlers to do their job.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 11:49   #16382
Distinguished - BHPian

As much as I love R Ashwin, I don't see how we can leave a player like Jaddu out. He just makes things happen, with his batting and his fielding and just his overall 'positive cricket attitude'. And of course his bowling! Also don't see us playing 2 spinners at the Oval.
Old 26th April 2023, 12:25   #16383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
This number cannot be taken objectively. It is in a large part due to the long home season with almost all tests being played on rank turners where our spinners have run through batting sides time and again.

Then again, us not being world beaters has a lot to do with our fragile batting. We have simply not been able to consistently put enough runs on the board for the bowlers to do their job.
Actually, this was the period from 2018 Aus series. Our pace bowlers have done really well since then. The averages of our pace bowlers was less than 25 during this period and only Umesh at an average of 27 was slightly higher but still good enough. So this was not purely due to rank turners and infact we had a lot of away tests in this period.

Completely agree on batting part and that is why the blame squarely lies with team management for team selection in this period and not doing away with overheads. At this juncture, there was only one man Rishab Pant who played crucial knocks in lot many of these matches both at home and away and he is out of action and God only knows if at all he will have a career ahead.

Last edited by whencut86 : 26th April 2023 at 12:44. Reason: correction
Old 26th April 2023, 14:13   #16384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
I find this perplexing.
Include players in test squad, based on IPL T20 matches. First SKY and now Rahane.

Why have first class matches at all then?

What next? Pick players for ODI WC squad based on how they perform in a T20 series?
Exactly my thoughts. Sky needs to still prove he can be consistent, in anything other than T20s but recalling Rahane is such a weird move especially considering his contribution to India reaching the finals!
You remove Rahane from the annual contract after obviously giving him his share of opportunities, he plays 6 IPL matches and gets a slot at the WTC fInals ?!
I mean Bharat obviously should be the reserve keeper here but for me that reserve should have been Ishan Kishan, can play explosive knocks and definitely can match Bharat's keeping skills, if not better. Having Shardul, who really can bat and give breakthroughs consistently is so much better.

Case of Jaydev also seems so weird , he's played all of what 2-3 Tests ? Even if a reserve I'd pick Bhuvi or if a trump card has to be used, we have one of the fastest bowlers in the world on our bench, Umran Malik.

My preferred-combination considering the announced squad :-
With this combination you have 5 full time batters (though I would have picked Kishan instead of Rahul) , 2 proper all rounders + Ashwin , and 3 quicks. This combination also gives you 6 bowling options!

My playing XI for WTC:

R Sharma (c)
S Gill
C Pujara
V Kohli
KL Rahul (wk)
S Thakur
R Jadeja
R Ashwin
M Shami
U Yadav
M Siraj
Old 4th May 2023, 14:37   #16385
BHPian

List of players in the WTC squad but currently injured:
1. KL Rahul
2. Jaydev Unadkat
3. Shardul Thakur (possibly has a niggle)
Old 4th May 2023, 14:55   #16386
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
List of players in the WTC squad but currently injured:
1. KL Rahul
I've a wish or dream. One last time let BCCI give our MSD a proper farewell from test cricket in that WTC final . He fits that role of keeper and lower order batsman.
Old 4th May 2023, 16:19   #16387
Team-BHP Support

I'm afraid Shami will also join the list. Playing an entire IPL season and leading the attack can be tiresome. Plus a lot of personal stuff going on in his life.

I hope he can remain the bowler he is for the next 2-3 years at least.
Old 4th May 2023, 16:53   #16388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
I've a wish or dream. One last time let BCCI give our MSD a proper farewell from test cricket in that WTC final . He fits that role of keeper and lower order batsman.
Should have him as non playing captain at least guiding players from the bench

But people are already raving about the PBKS keeper.
Old 4th May 2023, 18:55   #16389
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
One last time let BCCI give our MSD a proper farewell from test cricket in that WTC final .
No chance of that happening even if we were overoptimistic. MSD is carrying a niggle, thats why he isn't batting more than 10-15 balls + to expect him to keep for 90 overs is asking for too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I'm afraid Shami will also join the list. Playing an entire IPL season and leading the attack can be tiresome. Plus a lot of personal stuff going on in his life.I hope he can remain the bowler he is for the next 2-3 years at least.
I'm worried about both Shami & Siraj! Both are bowling well & its extremely important that they remain fit for the WTC Final & the ODI WC. Won't be surprised if Ishant is recalled for the WTC Final!
Old 5th May 2023, 15:57   #16390
BHPian

KL Rahul is out of IPL 2023 as well as WTC 2023.

I don't think this is good. In Pant's absence he was the best bet available in tests.
Old 23rd May 2023, 12:02   #16391
Distinguished - BHPian

Adidas partners with BCCI as official kit sponsor for Indian Cricket Team.

Finally a good sponsor, buying the India Jersey from some MPL site felt so odd.
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 22:58   #16392
BHPian

Finally, a renowned sportswear brand is kit sponsor of Indian team. Always felt the void after Nike’s sponsorship ended. Now, that void is filled.
Attached Thumbnails
The Cricket Thread-img_3272.jpeg  

Bhalla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 11:27   #16393
Senior - BHPian

Adidas India as the official kit sponsor of the Indian Cricket Team.

Video

Old 24th May 2023, 13:15   #16394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhalla View Post
Finally, a renowned sportswear brand is kit sponsor of Indian team. Always felt the void after Nike’s sponsorship ended. Now, that void is filled.
There's no Kohli in this! Blasphemy
ValarMorghulis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 14:50   #16395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There's no Kohli in this! Blasphemy
Must be because he has PUMA as one of his sponsors! The video also has a very small bit of him.
arvind71181 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks