Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2007, 23:47   #1231
BANNED

Hey, I thought all teams came to win the T20 World Cup and you are telling they came to fulfill their contract

All teams have been playing T20 for over couple of years. Pakistan has been playing T20 matches for 2 decades !!! After so many years and matches I can't believe these teams didn't have any strategy
India had played just one T20 before this WC. Its really commendable with so little experience they stood up to the challenge and won the WC, beating the best of the teams !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
... Its a game where none of the teams have even found out a strategy on how to play. Or if their respective cricket boards will even encourage more of this in their seasonal schedules. Most of the top teams came to play for the heck of it because their ICC contract made them to, which shows the seriousness they had. And we are going gaga over such a win? Its this hype that will never let any other sport in India benefit.
Old 26th September 2007, 23:50   #1232
BANNED

Didn't see this post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post

Now lets talk about the next series - India v/s Australia 7 match one day series.

Anything other than that - will be deleted.
Old 26th September 2007, 23:55   #1233
BANNED

Hey, how to satisfy both of these requirements ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Can we for ONCE talk about the game being played WITH the playing 11 and look at their performances rather than contemplating who should/not be playing? Who should be thrown out or doesn't deserve a team in the place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Now lets talk about the next series - India v/s Australia 7 match one day series.
Old 27th September 2007, 00:09   #1234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
About the India Whining stuff - whoever wrote that can go take a hike.
I think he's quite right, the India Whining guy. Why should I have to pay for some idiot's achievements in what is arguably one of the world's least-played, least-athletic, and most lethargic sports? And were I a hockey or football player, I'd most certainly be upset.

Largesse for Men in Blue, hockey players see red
Old 27th September 2007, 00:27   #1235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
About the India Whining stuff - whoever wrote that can go take a hike. When ODIs were introduced, everyone said it's pajama cricket. Now no one's complaining. In another 10 years time, T20 will rule.
Hmm so some people arent happy with a 3 hours match, lets make it 10 over per side... 10-10 matches! That is not the way to play cricket, you can't test a team's skill over a match of 20 overs each side, not atleast in cricket. Before you come up with the soccer example lemme tell you that soccer is physically, a hell lot more demanding than cricket.
Old 27th September 2007, 00:30   #1236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Why should I have to pay for some idiot's achievements in what is arguably one of the world's least-played, least-athletic, and most lethargic sports?
all that and... a light drizzle is enough to bring the sport to a standstill.
Old 27th September 2007, 00:52   #1237
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Before you come up with the soccer example lemme tell you that soccer is physically, a hell lot more demanding than cricket.
Played a load of soccer (much more than cricket) when I was younger, so I know that very well.
But, in India cricket is king because the people have made it that way. I've heard so many people whining about how poorly paid other sportsmen are. Hockey players are rather upset, by the step-motherly treatment they've been given. They have every right to be.
Once again, it's up to the people to decide. If they don't make a noise about it, then hockey players, footballers, shooters, etc. won't get too much. Instead of cribbing in the article as everyone else before him has and everyone after him will, if the writer had started a movement, you and I could have signed up to support him.
What I'm trying to say is, everyone is just talking, no one is taking the first step.
Old 27th September 2007, 01:21   #1238
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys a riddle.

Which car does Joginder Sharma Drive?
Old 27th September 2007, 03:45   #1239
Senior - BHPian

I have a problem. I just cannot wipe the wide grin off my face, still.

Maybe I need to do the sing n dance routine just that little bit more. Your team has won chaps. Live the dream for a few more days. I hear the aussies have touched down...
Old 27th September 2007, 07:14   #1240
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Just returned from Chinnaswamy stadium. Had been there with a couple of friends who dads are authorities of the KSCA. The ground is looking fabulous, with a lush green outfield. Floodlights were being tested early morning and I must say it was quite a sight standing at the centre of the ground.

The pitch had just been uncovered at 5:30 am. This surface is a new one, and only 1 match has been played on it. Groundsmen predict that this pitch will assist bowlers as well as batsmen and will have true bounce. They indicated an interesting battle between the bat and the ball. The Aussies are slated to inspect the pitch later in the afternoon and maybe have a net practice. Should be a real interesting game this.

I think the pitch will suit the likes of Bret Lee & Zaheer Khan who like hitting the pitch hard. Dew in the evening session might pose a problem though.
Old 27th September 2007, 08:08   #1241
BHPian

Quote:
Hockey players are rather upset, by the step-motherly treatment they've been given. They have every right to be.
Once again, it's up to the people to decide. If they don't make a noise about it, then hockey players, footballers, shooters, etc. won't get too much. Instead of cribbing in the article as everyone else before him has and everyone after him will, if the writer had started a movement, you and I could have signed up to support him.
I think you are right, I started a thread on Hockey, when India defeated Srinlanka 20-0 in Asia cup. Eventually India went on to win the tournament with good margin, but it did not bring any curosity in the fan clubs. The thread itself tells about it. Just less than 15 replies.

That tells you about the state of our national games which gave us players like Dhyanchand, Roop singh, Momd. Sahid & Dhanraj.

Now days whatever sells will lead and rest of the games will take a back seat. What to so even if our so called media is so discrimatory

Long live India
Old 27th September 2007, 09:19   #1242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
you can't test a team's skill over a match of 20 overs each side, not atleast in cricket.
Would that opinion change if someone tells you that T20 is entertainment and people do not really care about teams skill to last 100 overs or 5 days? Rather they care about 3 hours of no holds barred action?

What India needs is a sport which can start at 6 in the evening and be done by 10 in night. In todays fast paced life, people can only spend 3 - 4 hours in front of TV or in stadium watching a game and that is what T20 gives us.

Just an aside, when India played pakistan, I watched the game before going to work. I woke up at my usual time and still managed to watch one full innings and get to work on time. I think it is great format!
Old 27th September 2007, 11:13   #1243
BANNED

For all those who think T20 are less demanding, here is from the horse's mouth. From the man who played Tests, ODIs & T20 and succeeded in all these games: T20 physically more demanding than Tests, ODIs: Dhoni- Hindustan Times
Dhoni feels T20 physically demands more than ODIs or Tests

Note: T20 are more demanding than ODIs. ODIs are more demanding Tests. The reason is more than 90% of Tests don't go down to the wire. Less than 40% of ODIs go down to the wire. But almost all T20 go down to the wire and hence more demanding from the players - both physically & mentally.
Old 27th September 2007, 11:24   #1244
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Didn't NC warn us to talk about the Aus V/s Ind series and not go back to T20?

Couldn't resist this one, diabloo I think its another one of those immature comments from Dhoni . Or maybe he is just talking about himself, having to keep wickets, shoulder the batting & captain the team as well. Besides, to find the physical strain part all one has to do is see the number of injuries incurred in a T20's compared to ODI's/Test matches. You will soon figure out, whats more taxing. If a guy like Flintoff could play a T20 inspite of being injured (a risk he hesitated to take from the ODI format) it must say something?

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 27th September 2007 at 11:26.
Old 27th September 2007, 11:45   #1245
BANNED

Sorry Nitin, you had to leave this thread and abruptly end an interesting discussion. Wish you will be back someday
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
McLaren, help me here. Exactly how did I insult you?

And I concede defeat, I can not argue with somebody who is not wiling to listen with a open mind.

Have a nice day.

Cheers

Nitin

Most Viewed