Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2008, 15:14   #3571
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Just need to clarify one thing - will this bidding for players happen every year ?

Also have all the teams named themselves ??
I think the bidding was a one time process for 3 years. Now its trading like it happens in the EPL and other soccer leagues.
Old 21st February 2008, 15:31   #3572
Senior - BHPian

I hope this whole thing is a complete failure. Its just not cricket and still the BCCI rants all the time as to how it is going to improve the quality of cricket... BS!
Its just entertainment but I have better and less gross way of having entertainment than watching overpriced players playing against each other in the name of cricket!
Cricket sells in India.
Old 21st February 2008, 15:33   #3573
BHPian

Is the amount for a 3 year term or is this a yearly pay?
Old 21st February 2008, 15:44   #3574
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I hope this whole thing is a complete failure. Its just not cricket and still the BCCI rants all the time as to how it is going to improve the quality of cricket... BS!
Its just entertainment but I have better and less gross way of having entertainment than watching overpriced players playing against each other in the name of cricket!
Cricket sells in India.
I actually think the same sometimes but can't decide whether I want it to fail or not. The loss of face of India in front of the world is the only thing thats making me doubt my preference.

But you're right. It's just not cricket !!
Old 21st February 2008, 15:47   #3575
Senior - BHPian

Well i have a doubt as this is tending to push cricket down ones throat. Rather have matches over weekends than having matches on a daily basis. Can be spread out over a year into 2 seasons with a break in between and points system as people wont have excess of it. Looking at the way its being done its like the marketing gimmick of OSO. Hit and run types. Get the collections quickly and get out. Doesnt help in developing Cricket
Old 21st February 2008, 15:55   #3576
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately all the money goes out from our pockets only
Old 21st February 2008, 15:57   #3577
BHPian

Quote:
Cricket sells in India.
I am myself a huge fan of Test cricket, but I see no reason why I should hate T20 format or the BCCI for encashing upon its popularity.

Ultimately it is the average cricket fan who will decide whether it will fail or not. So long as there is a market for cricket (in any form, ODI, Test, T20, Ranji, etc) I don't see why BCCI should not exploit the potential.

When ODI cricket came along, purists dismissed it with a similar contempt. But look what it has done! Thanks to ODIs, Test cricket is now more attractive to watch in terms of results, fielding, aggressive batting and all.

T20 will do the same to ODI cricket (and even the tests). It will probably change the way cricket is played, and importantly, viewed.

T20 is here to stay. Ignore it at your own peril.

I hope IPL is a huge success.

Last edited by CaAT : 21st February 2008 at 15:59.
Old 21st February 2008, 16:07   #3578
Senior - BHPian

IPL is just a money-making stunt by BCCI encashing the popularity of Cricket in India, in the process players are making good money too!

Feel sorry for ICL, they introduced this concept of T20 League, but it is BCCI who is having the last laugh!
Old 21st February 2008, 16:13   #3579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
IPL is just a money-making stunt by BCCI encashing the popularity of Cricket in India, in the process players are making good money too!
I don't see anything wrong in it.

Quote:
Feel sorry for ICL, they introduced this concept of T20 League, but it is BCCI who is having the last laugh!
Much like the Stanford league in West Indies, I believe there will come a time when ICL will be eventually merged with IPL. Till then these two will co-exist and compete.
Old 21st February 2008, 16:13   #3580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaAT View Post
I am myself a huge fan of Test cricket, but I see no reason why I should hate T20 format or the BCCI for encashing upon its popularity.
Do you really think its cricket? Does it test anything... a player's ability or his skill? Do you even know why it started? Its like a bollywood masala movie, no wonder SRK is soo interested.

Quote:
Ultimately it is the average cricket fan who will decide whether it will fail or not. So long as there is a market for cricket (in any form, ODI, Test, T20, Ranji, etc) I don't see why BCCI should not exploit the potential.
Unfortunately the average cricket fan doesnt know two hoots about cricket. The keyword here is 'exploit', you said it yourself.

Quote:
When ODI cricket came along, purists dismissed it with similar contempt. But look what it has done! Thanks to ODIs, Test cricket is now more attractive to watch in terms of results, fileding, aggressive batting and all.
T20 will do the same to ODI cricket (and even the tests). It will probably change the way cricket is played, and importantly, viewed.
I dont know how a 20 over game is going to affect test cricket! Cheer girls maybe...

Quote:
T20 is here to stay. Ignore it at your own peril.
I hope IPL is a huge success.
With people like you I have no doubts it will be a success and I say it with all sincerity, no offences to anyone. But its not cricket.
Old 21st February 2008, 16:26   #3581
BHPian

Quote:
Do you really think its cricket? Does it test anything... a player's ability or his skill? Do you even know why it started? Its like a bollywood masala movie, no wonder SRK is soo interested.
It doesn't matter whether I think it is real cricket or not. I said there is a huge market for it in India (and all over the world). So the market forces will decide it's popularity.

Why do we attach so much importance to Shah Rukh Khan and Priety Zinta being invoved in IPL? They are businessmen/women with lots of money. Nothing wrong in them getting associated with it. T20 will be a serious business and mark my words, it will be serious cricket too!

Quote:
I dont know how a 20 over game is going to affect test cricket! Cheer girls maybe...
As said previously, it will make ODI cricket and Test cricket more pacy, more aggressive. Don't be surprised to see 5 run/over barrier being broken in test cricket too!

Quote:
With people like you I have no doubts it will be a success and I say it with all sincerity, no offences to anyone. But its not cricket.
Hey chill man. This is just a forum. Don't try to judge others. I have said that I am a huge fan of Test cricket. But I am enthused by T20 cricket too.

Btw, how about if I say, there are very few people who have as much knowledge about Indian Test cricket and its history, as I do?
Old 21st February 2008, 16:49   #3582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It doesn't matter whether I think it is real cricket or not. I said there is a huge market for it in India (and all over the world). So the market forces will decide it's popularity.
All over the world???

Quote:
Why do we attach so much importance to Shah Rukh Khan and Priety Zinta being invoved in IPL? They are businessmen/women with lots of money. Nothing wrong in them getting associated with it. T20 will be a serious business and mark my words, it will be serious cricket too!
It better be serious with such astronomical sums of money involved. Its pure, sheer entertainment, not cricket, the only skill you need is to whack the ball on a wicket which will most probably be a run-riot. A 3-4 over whirlwind knock can make or break a career and its SAD for cricket.
Besides I am very sure SRK will use this as a publicity medium for all his future movies.

Quote:
As said previously, it will make ODI cricket and Test cricket more pacy, more aggressive. Don't be surprised to see 5 run/over barrier being broken in test cricket too!
Let a 20-20 cricketer make it to test cricket except those who are already there. We all know how dhoni was a big failure in the test series down under. Besides its very very ambitious to even think that this will affect the way people play test cricket.

Quote:
Hey chill man. This is just a forum. Don't try to judge others. I have said that I am a huge fan of Test cricket. But I am enthused by T20 cricket too.

Btw, how about if I say, there are very few people who have as much knowledge about Indian Test cricket and its history, as I do?
I said it with all sincerity and with no offence to anyone. Afterall people love entertainment its just that I have other better ways of entertaining myself.
Old 21st February 2008, 16:55   #3583
BHPian

Ok guys, lets get back to cricket. :-)

I personally dont think that IPL will be a hit. Simple reason: people want to see India V Australia, not Dravid V Sachin.
Old 21st February 2008, 17:32   #3584
Senior - BHPian

Proxima
Old 21st February 2008, 17:33   #3585
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday night in one of the channels, I was watching the highlights of an old India Vs England test match where India needed 438 to win in its last Innings. India almost did it. I watched Sunil Gavaskar's shot selection, style and technique in his innings of 200+. It just was wonderful. Test cricket at its best!

Comparing that quality of cricket to the farce that is T20 is not worth it, in my opinion. T20 is like watching some 3.5 hour hindi movie with lot of masaala added to it. Nothing more. No wonder people like Dhoni are making such huge money. I do not have anything against Dhoni. In fact, I admire him for his recent performances. But, for a person who has watched some magicians like Sunil Gavaskar, David Gower, Mark Waugh, Mohd. Azharuddin, Sachin, Dravid and Lakshman bat, Dhoni just does not make that cut.

Most Viewed