Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2023, 10:38   #151
BHPian

Re: Spam / Rogue Emails, SMS & Calls

Got the below SMS from +91 78450 09806

Dear user your
EIectrlclty.power connection wlII be Dlsconnect tonight at 09:30 Pm please contact assistant 8075164064 thanks.

Reported for DND violation. Anything other suggestions where such scams can be reported?

On a lighter note thinking of giving these numbers to Bajaj finance
Old 20th December 2023, 10:54   #152
Senior - BHPian

On a lighter note, I want to try this next time.
Attached Thumbnails
Spam / Rogue Emails, SMS & Calls-1702971739380.jpeg  

speedmiester is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 11:25   #153
Senior - BHPian

I seriously don't understand why the government is not cracking down on these scams. It's not that difficult.
In the meantime every time I get a call which I suspect is a scam call, I say "I don't understand Hindi, please speak in English" (Almost all of these calls are in Hindi). 90% of the time they just disconnect. Those who actually switch to English struggle to make a conversation and are not able to implement the scam.

Another issue is that most legitimate Customer Care Centres have very few English speaking executives. Even if you select english as the default language, you get a Hindi speaking executive at the other end.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 19:53   #154
BHPian

Today I received a call which made me worried. The incoming call was from my own number. True caller displayed my name. After a few rings, I answered it and it was the usual marketing call. No fraud as I suspected. It was from Aditya Birla mutual fund. I was so unnerved that as soon as I heard this I hung up. I should have checked with them on this.

Suspecting a truecaller bug, I also checked the phone call logs, which too display my number.

Has anyone faced something similar?
How is this possible?
Old 17th January 2024, 20:57   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
How is this possible?
Somewhere in the late 2000s, there used to be a prank website using which you could send SMSes to anyone using masquerading as anyone/any number. You could put in any number as the sender and the recipient would see the same number as the SMS sender on his phone.
I know because someone used that service to threaten someone on SMS using my mobile number.

I believe the website was taken down after complaints were made.

I suppose there are mobile apps now which can be used to do the same prank but this time with phone calls.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 17th January 2024 at 20:58. Reason: Correcting Spelling mistake
Old 18th January 2024, 15:51   #156
BHPian

Got an automated call from this number 8765680501 saying customs problem. This is the second automated call I am getting within a week.

Guess all the publicity about Fedex scam has lowered their chances so much that they have to resort to automated calls to get victims.
Old 19th January 2024, 14:27   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I seriously don't understand why the government is not cracking down on these scams. It's not that difficult.
There are many things that the govt can do but probably chooses not to. This is one such. Suffice to say that privacy laws are a joke, and their implementation is selective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Even if you select English as the default language, you get a Hindi speaking executive at the other end.
I respond to such callers that I cannot understand what they are trying to say and request them to converse in English.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
On a lighter note, I want to try this next time.
My modus operandi is to ask these marketers to contact me at another number, which is the last spammer I would've blocked. Then I block the new one as well.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 17:13   #158
Senior - BHPian

What's with Amazon Business? I am getting 3, 4 calls daily to open their business account. Is anybody else facing this? Many months back it was Bajaj Finance for card or personal loan. Now its Amazon business. Are they calling all Amazon customers?
Most of their numbers start with +91-81970

Last edited by msdivy : 31st January 2024 at 17:15.
Old 31st January 2024, 17:37   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
What's with Amazon Business? I am getting 3, 4 calls daily to open their business account. Is anybody else facing this? Many months back it was Bajaj Finance for card or personal loan. Now its Amazon business. Are they calling all Amazon customers?
Most of their numbers start with +91-81970
I got one call last week. In all fairness I did have a seller account with them some time back and they wanted to know if I would be reactivating it.

Told them the issues faced and that was that.

Generally amazon calls come with a UK number.

But random calls for customers asking to open seller accounts feels really weird.
Old 1st February 2024, 10:30   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
Today I received a call which made me worried. The incoming call was from my own number. True caller displayed my name.
Suspecting a truecaller bug, I also checked the phone call logs, which too display my number.
How is this possible?
Received the FedEx Your FedEx Parcel Has Drugs scam from +91 8210490238. Midway through the scam, they realized that I was playing them and disconnected abruptly with a "yeh nahi hoga" remark. I tried calling them back, but the call was received by a woman from Bihar, who seemed clueless about it, even swearing that there was no outgoing call to me from her phone. If true, then scammers have found a way to spoof incoming numbers.

Last edited by hemant.kamat : 1st February 2024 at 10:33.
hemant.kamat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks