Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2015, 07:40   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Spam / Rogue Emails, SMS & Calls

anybody interested in helping dying cancer patient ? Got this in SMStoday. wonder where these people get the nos from ?

Spam / Rogue Emails, SMS & Calls-screenshot_20151206073403.png
Old 6th December 2015, 09:47   #122
BHPian

What's with the telemarketers giving missed calls nowadays? Aren't they supposed to keep ringing till we pick it up and pester us to subscribe for their services?

The call doesn't even last for a complete ring.. when I call back, the person on the other end says, we are from so and so.. *please feel free to add expletives of your choice here*
Old 6th December 2015, 10:51   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
What's with the telemarketers giving missed calls nowadays? Aren't they supposed to keep ringing till we pick it up and pester us to subscribe for their services?

The call doesn't even last for a complete ring.. when I call back, the person on the other end says, we are from so and so.. *please feel free to add expletives of your choice here*
Did you tatake a good look at the number? Most times when you get these missed calls, they are from Pakistan or some other shady foreign location.

Their intent is to make you talk as long as possible. That's how they make their money. Google this scam.

Try to answer this call instantly. Then you talk as much as possible. Good fun. Make it more fun, if the call is from Pakistan by insisting on both of you saying 'jai Shree Ram' !

Last edited by john doe : 6th December 2015 at 10:56.
Old 6th December 2015, 11:19   #124
BHPian

The calls I get are from India, start with +91 and mostly from Mumbai call centres.

The prank you suggested is hilarious Unfortunately the calls/sms from Pakistan stopped weeks ago..
Old 4th July 2016, 13:43   #125
BHPian

Is this a Phishing Scam in the name of eBay? I received this email in my inbox today. Everything looks genuine. Even the URLs are resolving to ebay.co.uk (to home page; not to the item details or member details)

Spam / Rogue Emails, SMS & Calls-pishing.png

Or is it just a misdirected email? Cant figure out.

Last edited by sanjaykk : 4th July 2016 at 13:44.
Old 4th July 2016, 14:02   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Is this a Phishing Scam in the name of eBay? I received this email in my inbox today. Everything looks genuine. Even the URLs are resolving to ebay.co.uk (to home page; not to the item details or member details)

Or is it just a misdirected email? Cant figure out.
I think, you should just respond to the email mentioning "it seems you have got the wrong email address" and also report to ebay customer care or the related department.

-Bhargav
Old 28th October 2021, 11:50   #127
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Spam SMS (True Caller says 6000+ users have flagged this number):
Spam / Rogue Emails, SMS & Calls-sbi-spam-sms.png
Old 28th October 2021, 12:02   #128
Senior - BHPian

My Airtel SIM is flooded with spam calls and texts. ICICI loan section has been the main culprit (4-5 calls a day). I regret converting this to E-Sim. Need to convert back to physical and use Android-Truecaller to filter these damned things out.

I get very minimal spam in my Jio number. Same with my wife's BSNL too.

Airtel is the champion, with Vi Vodapav at number 2

Last edited by narayans80 : 28th October 2021 at 12:04.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 13:59   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

I started tweeting to the main culprits:
- Cars 24
- ICICI
- Bajaj Finance
- HDFC

And tagging senior staff.

Immediately their customer care ID would revert back and ask for your number to put on a DND list.

Not to jinx it but calls from those agencies have finally stopped.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 10:11   #130
BHPian

Spam / Rogue Emails, SMS & Calls-11008b2f13924aebb29bbc730feba0ff.jpeg
So this is ironic, right?
TheGearBox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 18:58   #131
BHPian

Today I received an SMS and e-mail from my bank saying "Thank you for interacting with our branch executive. Allow us to improve our services further by filling this short feedback form" followed by a link.

The thing is, I never interacted with any branch executive.
When I called customer care and informed them of this, they said it could be an error and I could safely ignore this communication.

But I'm not completely convinced. Has anyone else received such communications?
Old 7th May 2022, 16:01   #132
Senior - BHPian

A glib talking gentleman identifies himself on call as an employee of the bank I hold my salary account in and insists that I visit the bank ASAP, just for five minutes.

Apparently, happy with the transactions I have done via net banking to pay off its premiums, LIC has sanctioned an amount of 2 lakhs at an uber low interest rate and is eager to disburse it to me - all they need is a signature!

I give him a piece of my mind and warn him not to call me henceforth with such frivolous schemes.

A few of my colleagues too receive similar calls from the same person.
x x x x x
Fast forward four days:

I receive a call from the landline of the regional office of the aforementioned bank. The lady on call explains that they have generously sanctioned 2 lakh rupees as loan to me based on my great history with them!

And what was I to do with this unsought amount?

She very innocuously replies:

Sir, 9th is the last date for applying for LIC IPO. Please take the loan and invest it in LIC shares, you will benefit a lot. As it is you pay a lot of money to LIC by way of premiums; now is the time to eke some profits!!!
x x x x x

The largest Public Sector Bank sanctioning its customer an unsolicited loan to invest in the shares of the largest Public Sector Undertaking being liquidized.

Unethical data mining and targeted marketing couldn't be explained with a better example.
dailydriver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 16:46   #133
BHPian

Frequent Promotional/SPAM E-mails from ICICI DIRECT

I keep getting a lot of promotional e-mails from ICICI Direct, despite me not have subscribed to such marketing mails.
There is a way to opt out of any mailing services once you log into their website, where I have opted out of almost all of them.
These e-mails come from "ICICIdirect.com <service@icicisecurities.com>".
I wanted to try unsubscribing from this ID or blocking it.

Guess what, these people at ICICI Securities are either cunning like a fox or over-smart. They use the same ID to send me my statements and transactions . If I block or unsubscribe from these Spam mails, it also means I unsubscribe from receiving the statements.

So, I can't block this ID. Have written to helpdesk, have to see what happens.
redCherry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 20:33   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redCherry View Post
Frequent Promotional/SPAM E-mails from ICICI DIRECT

I keep getting a lot of promotional e-mails from ICICI Direct, despite me not have subscribed to such marketing mails.
There is a way to opt out of any mailing services once you log into their website, where I have opted out of almost all of them.
These e-mails come from "ICICIdirect.com <service@icicisecurities.com>".
I wanted to try unsubscribing from this ID or blocking it.
Check the source of the email to see if it is a spoofed email address. For example anybody can 'forge' an email by making the sender as 'some real valuable entity' instead of the spammer. You can view the source of the email (it will show you the complete mail in text format).
Old 1st June 2022, 20:50   #135

Hi so i was added to this random Bit coin trading group today and the messages quite obviously seem bot driven. I was curious how the scam works if anyone has any idea about it?
Attached Thumbnails
Spam / Rogue Emails, SMS & Calls-screenshot_20220601204454080_com.whatsapp.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks