Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2011, 17:13   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: Spam / Rogue Emails, SMS & Calls

Got this mail forward:

Quote:
Dear All,

To support the cause "India Against Corruption", give missed call @ 02261550789 (free)
25 lac missed calls required –only 5 lac done. Doing so, Govt. has to pass Anti Corruption Law.
The initiative is taken by noted social activist Anna Hazare.
Support the cause. I have done it and it’s not a prank. You will receive an SMS acknowledging your call.
Forward it to your friends so that it reaches max people.
When you will call it will just ring and the call will be disconnected automatically.
And within few secs you will receive a message from UR INDIA
done. Doing so, Govt. has to pass Anti Corruption Law.

Umesh Gavas | Manager | Aegis Ltd Essar Engineering Services Div |
Essar Technopark, Old Swan Mill Compound, LBS Marg, Kurla (W),, Mumbai - 400070 | Maharashtra | India |
T +91 9833945826 | +91 22 67448194 Ext.: 3117 |
E Umesh.Gavas@essar.com | Essar Group | Home |
I am not sure how a missed call help corruption. My guess is somebody is compiling all working phone numbers.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 17:43   #107
BHPian

My Father yesterday received a letter through registered post from Delhi.The sender was mentioned as someone from the British High Commission & contained a letter with the same old story of having won the National UK Lottery that we so often get in the emails and SMSes.
It goes on to explain that they have stopped informing through emails to avoid fraudulent claims & they have decided to disburse the money won through the Embassies .
It's quite obvious that they managed to get the correct name and address from some directory but considering that they have to spend some money here (unlike in the case of sending emails) how do they decide whom to target ?
Old 14th February 2012, 17:16   #108
BHPian

On spam emails, normally I would have said stay away. But recently I found this forum.419eater.com :: Index. Havent tried it though or rather havent found time to try it!

To block unwanted calls/sms on windows mobile (6.* and below) Call Firewall v1.40 freeware for Windows Mobile Phone. is the best I found.
Use the mirror download link.
I am sure such apps would be common by now for other OS.
Old 28th September 2012, 17:23   #109
lsp
BHPian

a few months ago I received a call from a number which looked like from Netherlands. Now I have an onsite team at Amsterdam and those guys call me from their desk phones which are not stored in my phone. So I thought maybe one of them had called me. I called the number back only to hear the recorded message, of a female voice moaning and occuring sleazy phrases in hindi. I disconnected the call immediately.

Next day I received a missed call from the same/similar number. Now the call I used to recieve was like a half a ring or 1 ring max (1-2 seconds) and the call would be disconnected. The next day I was having the phone in my hand while the call came and I purposely picked it up. That call was immediately disconnected and they never called me back.
Old 28th September 2012, 20:08   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
a few months ago I received a call from a number which looked like from Netherlands.
Next day I received a missed call from the same/similar number.
Never call that number back. My mom and dad got a missed call from a number which started with some +22 something. They called the number and the next second, their prepaid balance was lighter by 50Rs. Thats right, 50Rs. for a one second call.
When we called up Airtel, they expressed helplessness at this and said we can subscribe to a service which blocks a number of our choice. We will be charged 30Rs. per month for the service.
Another colleague of mine picked up the call and she claimed she was charged for receiving the incoming call. I find that hard to believe, but you never know.

I think the Mobile service providers know about this but do nothing as the revenue they get form each call made is too high. Just imagine this, if even 1000 people reply to the call each day, thats a cool Rs.50000/- per day or Rs.15 lakhs per month or Rs.1.80 crores per annum. Cool aint it?
Old 28th September 2012, 20:15   #111
lsp
BHPian

It was a genuine mistake. I googled about it the very day and came to know of their modus operandi.

The next day I picked it purposely so that they are charged for the call. I read how Telecom companies wont be able to help you avoid the charge of calling the number so didn't bother to contact my telecom provider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Never call that number back....
Old 4th April 2013, 17:13   #112
BHPian

If you guys have registered your resume on timesjobs or Monster, you would probably know they send promotional emails from other vendors For eg Citibank Credit card, Loans etc.

But today I got an email from info@monsterindia.com about the Reader's Digest sweepstakes. I usually mark these sweepstakes emails as junk. but since it is routed through a company like monster which I assume would have done some due diligence I am really curious to know if it could be true. Here is the email:

Dear <MYNAME>,

The dream of owning a brand new car could soon become a reality for you!

It’s true!
One of the luxury cars pictured below will go to the winner of our Thank You Prize!

Will that winner be you, <MYNAME>?

The possibility is REAL, if you click on the button at right and promptly submit your claim!

<MYNAME>
click here for your guaranteed chance to win a new luxury car!

J Mathew
Director, Sweepstakes
Reader's Digest

P.S. Winner will be notified IMMEDIATELY following the Thank You Prize Drawing. For any questions or clarifications call (0120) 2469900.

The email has my name all over the place. And there is a strange looking red button that I need to click. There is no 'Cut and paste the link if the hyperlink is not working' option either. That reeks of scam.

What do you guys think?
Old 7th April 2013, 15:27   #113
BHPian

My network is BSNL Cellone. Every time I recharge my account, and that is generally at end of the month, my balance duly increases. That is how it should be. However, every time I recharge I get an SMS from the number +1263004030 and it says this

Quote:
Dear subscriber now u can do nonstop chitchat in VCS at just Rs30/mnth. Dial12630035 at Rs2/min. Dial 12630035 for Deactivation
Now, what this message does is erase off Rs.30 from my balance immediately. I never activated any service and this happens every time I recharge my account.

So, I called BSNL customer care and I was informed that deactivation number is in fact activation number. So, every time I tried to dial this number it activated this service instead. I've asked few of my friends about this and turns out I'm not the only one. Although BSNL has now deactivated this service, the balance has been lost.

If anyone of you get this kind of message, please ignore and do not dial the deactivation number!
Old 7th April 2013, 17:46   #114
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

If you've registered your mobile phone number with your service provider for "Do Not Disturb" (DND activated on your account) and you still get those pesky marketing Spam SMS's, try this complaint method, no need to wait on the call centre phone line!

Forward the Spam SMS to the number 1909 in the following format:
COMP TEL NO +911234567890;01/01/13;10:41:00;<original SMS message text here>
Where +91xxxxx is the phone number of the SMS sender followed by date and time when SMS was received in the format dd/mm/yy & hh:mm:ss respectively.

*In short, you just need to insert the "COMP..." text at the beginning of the message

A friend told me about this so I've been using it diligently to report Spam SMS's and get status updates from my service provider (Airtel) on every one of them and by the way it's helped almost eliminate the problem
For one of the complaints, the response was that the unregistered telemarketer's phone has been disconnected due to several complaints and repeated warnings

Last edited by NPV : 7th April 2013 at 17:47.
Old 7th April 2013, 19:42   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

Where +91xxxxx is the phone number of the SMS sender followed by date and time when SMS was received in the format dd/mm/yy & hh:mm:ss respectively.

*In short, you just need to insert the "COMP..." text at the beginning of the message

A friend told me about this so I've been using it diligently to report Spam SMS's and get status updates from my service provider (Airtel) on every one of them and by the way it's helped almost eliminate the problem
For one of the complaints, the response was that the unregistered telemarketer's phone has been disconnected due to several complaints and repeated warnings
Okay, I didn't know about this. Will do this next time. Thanks!
Old 8th April 2013, 00:14   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If you've registered your mobile phone number with your service provider for "Do Not Disturb" (DND activated on your account) and you still get those pesky marketing Spam SMS's, try this complaint method, no need to wait on the call centre phone line!

I have done this few times from my Vodafone number, I just receive a automated reply and nothing else after that. I still the same spam text messages twice in a week.
Old 8th April 2013, 11:05   #117
BHPian

For BSNL the 1909 COMP SMS works well. After I send the SMS I get a call from BSNL CC asking for details and I have never got calls after that.
I also had received something from indiatimes but after complaing I never got it.
Old 11th June 2014, 11:59   #118
E63
BANNED

Tata Motors warns customers about fraudulent practices under company’s name

Quote:
To inform potential customers and the general public about such fraudulent promotional offers and advertisements, Tata Motors issued a media release to spread caution that a person or group of persons have been wrongfully extracting/ demanding cash deposit(s) in certain specified bank(s) from general public. These individuals are also wrongfully using Tata Motor’s registered trademark to lure public into this trap.
Tata Motors states that these communications are purely made with the intent to defraud the general public and that the company has not authorized any person to require any payment /cash deposit to be made.
Source: http://www.motoroids.com/news/tata-m...companys-name/

Last edited by GTO : 11th June 2014 at 13:00. Reason: Keeping the fair usage policy in mind, it's best to share an excerpt + link to full article. Thanks
E63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 18:08   #119
Oxy
BHPian

Re: Spam / Rogue Emails, SMS & Calls

How many of you guys get regular missed calls from Pakistani numbers? These are the +92.. series numbers. I get them at least twice or thrice a month. My sister in law has also reported the same.

They are always missed calls half a ring long. What can be done about this?
Old 12th June 2014, 09:56   #120
BHPian

Re: Spam / Rogue Emails, SMS & Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
How many of you guys get regular missed calls from Pakistani numbers? These are the +92.. series numbers. I get them at least twice or thrice a month. My sister in law has also reported the same.

They are always missed calls half a ring long. What can be done about this?
I complained numerous times to service provider in Bangalore (both AirTel and Docomo) regarding this case. Avg once in a week I get one random call from +92-xxxxxxxxxx on our bangalore cell number(s).

I picked up one call once, caller said 'Salaam Valeekum..' I responded back with 'Valeekum Salaam' and disconnected the call.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks