Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2011, 23:56   #31
BHPian

Re: Nationwide UID - will it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post

While issuing UID, The gov't will record your 10 fingerprints and Iris scan and associate them to your UID. That means a person in India can never fake records and obtain a 2nd UID with the current available technology. And at later stages, all your existing identity like passport, license etc will be mapped to this UID. So now you should know the importance of this initiative.
Sounds exciting on paper. But look what happened with the Voter ID's. People's photographs were mapped with names which were of completely different people. Just imagine the chaos if that happens with fingerprints

Photographs - one can identify. Not that easy with fingerprints!
Old 9th December 2011, 22:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

There is a camp in our city for this since last 10 days. The crowd is immense. And only two dude with a single computer sits there. I guess they are on contract basis. I went there once but mismanagement there held me back, so have not decided to apply for one. Will wait till 2014. if UPA wants to win then they will do this like EC card issue ward wise.

People are saying they are giving only two forms per person, even if people are showing the ration cards with correct number of members in the family.

In the bank column, there are two option
1. Link the UID card to account in Central Bank. Open a new account.
2. Link my existing account to the UID card. And two blank space for Bank name and Branch address.

What is ironic is that the option of Central Bank is pre -ticked. Its absurd as there are no branch for Central Bank in our city.

Also there is a central bank logo on top of the form. So its obviously sponsored by them. I smell another Congressy scam here.

Say what guys??

Please confirm this in any other city/town.

Last edited by SirAlec : 9th December 2011 at 22:54.
Old 9th December 2011, 22:58   #33
BHPian

I find it pretty surprising.

I have had not difficulty in procuring the forms for UID. There was a camp in our office as well as residential society (both within a span of three months). People who filled up the forms and completed other formalities were told that they can expect the cards in 45 days.
Old 10th December 2011, 15:26   #34
BHPian

I have submitted forms in July begining in a similar camp here. It is December now, the UID is nowhere in sight.
Old 10th December 2011, 21:19   #35
Senior - BHPian

On TV9 and few journalists had 'bought' UID cards from agents in Mysore (that is getting cards without filling forms or appearing for any tests). I am not sure rigorous the background check is. How will they ensure only Indians get the cards?

Standing committee points out multiple faults in UID 'Aadhar', asks government for fresh legislation - The Economic Times

Each of the points raised are valid.
Quote:
NO FEASIBILITY STUDY: No comprehensive feasibility study -- including cost-benefit analysis, comparative costs of aadhar number before approving such an expensive scheme vis-avis various forms of existing identity such as hologram-enabled ration card to eliminate fake and duplicate beneficiaries -- carried out.

APPROVED IN HASTE: Absence of data protection law would make it difficult to deal with issues such as access and misuse of personal information, surveillance, profiling, linking and matching of data bases and securing confidentiality information.

SECURITY GAPS: Entrusting the responsibility of verification of information of individuals to the registrars to ensure that only genuine residents get enrolled into the system may have far-reaching consequences for national security. The panel not sure as to whether complete verification of information of all aadhaar number holders is practically feasible and whether it would deliver the intended results without compromising national security.

DIRECTIONLESS: The UID scheme has been conceptualised with no clarity of purpose and is being implemented in a directionless way and may end up being dependent on private agencies.

UNRELIABLE TECHNOLOGY : The scheme is full of uncertainty in technology as the complex scheme is built on untested, unreliable technology and several assumptions. Despite adverse observations by the UIDAI's biometrics standards committee on error rates of biometrics, the UIDAI is collecting biometrics information.

LIMITED COVERAGE: It is not clear that the UID Scheme would continue beyond the coverage of 200 million of the total population. The exercise could become futile in case the government does not give further mandate.

LACK OF COORDINATION: Serious differences of opinion within the government on the UID Scheme. The Department of Expenditure, ministry of finance, has expressed concern that lack of coordination among at least six agencies collecting information --National Population Registry, MNREGS, BPL Census, UIDAI, RSBY - is leading to duplication of efforts and expenditure.

Last edited by msdivy : 10th December 2011 at 21:20.
Old 10th December 2011, 21:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

I have been interviewed at home and been given a receipt for the same. Sad that all this has come to a naught. The question is: has somebody made a "killing" out of all this...waits to be seen.
Old 10th December 2011, 22:01   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

UK / US at least have a fair ID theft prevention steps. Not so here. I would be wary of giving my one ID num (the UID), and people having more access to my data than I would like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Government IDs usually have the worst possible photos since it is shot in dingy places by people who couldn't care less.
At least in this case it was not so. Was able to see myself on the screen before it was saved.

Very un-like what happened with my voter ID Card - I did not know how good the pic was on my card, till I got my card. And then it was too late to change it.

One point I will rant about is the the application forms. The two agencies - Post Offices & the Corporation, both have diff forms & will not accept the other's. The stock/supply was always a problem. Had to make multiple trips to the post office to get one. The guy at the post office was quite rude, that I finally asked him if he needs a 'muhurtham' to give the forms.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 11th December 2011 at 10:46. Reason: as requested
Old 10th December 2011, 22:27   #38
Team-BHP Support

Good Riddance to bad trash. thats all I have to say
Hurray for no UID.
Old 11th December 2011, 08:55   #39
BHPian

Too bad the UID is planning to be scrapped. But in a way it is good news as the entire stuff was based on a L1 tendering systems, which is a joke.

What I fail to understand is how can a nation buy raw materials for Indian Railways, including canteen and other departments and have National strategy based on a L1 tendering system.

I was told that the UID was supposed to be hosted on a Windows Server environment, most in IT will agree that such ridiculous things only happen in India.

All of this is happening under the very noses of CVC, for whom the process has been followed.

Like it was pointed out in the earlier posts about how UAE has everything linked to the Expat's ID, in India it is a must for business to cut losses and to prevent fraud at all levels.

Too bad in India, we are always doing a "Salsa" dance with all our policies, one step forward, one or steps backwards, then one step to the side.

Eventually we are running in circles.

Most of the bureaucrats and technocrats are forgetting the Industrial liberalization of India in the early 1990's and the way the economy improved.
Old 27th December 2011, 20:55   #40
Senior - BHPian

WHat is the update on this.

This thing is still going on in our city and all the major city is Rajasthan. Its other thing that their PC is crashing like crazy throughout the day.
Old 27th December 2011, 22:02   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
However, knives are already out to get the Aadhar! There is too much vested interest in ensuring that it does not work.
+10 to this!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Hi Planning to apply for Aadhar card.
The persons involved in this project are themselves clueless about everything! Or they are acting as if they are clueless about everything. I had applied for the aadhar card in Aug 2011. It is now the year end, but I still haven't got it. Their website shows the my status as approved, but as per their website; they have not yet posted the card All this, when they had promised that the card would be delivered to my doorstep in 1 month flat!!

Already I have sent emails but no response yet! Wow!!

lambuhere1, expect a lot of delays. If you get it quickly, then be thankful to God it ended quickly!!
Old 17th April 2012, 09:30   #42
BHPian

Received my Aadhar card yesterday via mail.

Carries my Name, YOB, Gender, Photo, Bar Code and Aadhar number. Eager to know if there are any out there that accept this.
Old 17th April 2012, 10:58   #43
BHPian

I got my UID card. I only wish it were better. Right now it's just a colored, glossy, visiting card like. Why can't they laminate it atleast?

Also it clearly mentions that it is only a proof of identity and not address; people who wanted to use it as address proof will be disappointed.
Old 17th April 2012, 11:05   #44
BANNED

We got our UID cards in abut three-four months. Both correct with good photographs. As the details were seen on line at the time of registration, and the data had to be authenticated by the chap collecting it, I was not expecting otherwise. The cards are good though the lamination could have been better.

I am sure we did not expect anything less from Nilekani.

Also, in this budget the FM has declared that they will start targeting the PDS stuff using Aadhar (I guess the NPR is now history).
Old 17th April 2012, 11:33   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
I was told that the UID was supposed to be hosted on a Windows Server environment, most in IT will agree that such ridiculous things only happen in India.
Sorry, I don't understand even though I am in IT, developing enterprise (server based) products. What is ridiculous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
I got my UID card. I only wish it were better. Right now it's just a colored, glossy, visiting card like. Why can't they laminate it atleast?
Hmm, so this UID card is not a smart card? Damn!

I haven't bothered to apply. In villages they just give a ridiculous address and refuse to change. I already have voter ID and ration card with ridiculous addresses, and an electric bill with wrong name. Every attempt to fix has failed. I have no need for one more ID with wrong address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Also it clearly mentions that it is only a proof of identity and not address; people who wanted to use it as address proof will be disappointed.
Wow, that's perfect. It is not even an address proof.

Ideally they should use the same system used for issuing passport. That has been streamlined well enough with the help of TCS. The UID can be Infosys effort.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks