Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I read most my books in...
Paper book format 253 61.86%
Amazon Kindle 101 24.69%
Apple iPad 9 2.20%
Android Tablet 12 2.93%
B&B Nook 5 1.22%
Sony eBook Reader 0 0%
Smartphone 18 4.40%
Others (mention in post) 6 1.47%
Kobo eReader 5 1.22%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2006, 10:54   #106
BHPian

just finished reading toyota way and learning to see creatively.

toyota way - its an informative book on how toyota manages it processes and how it is differs in its approach from other competitors. its more like a text book than a casual read. but still i liked the book.

learning to see creatively - its a book on photography by bryan peterson. it speaks about the art side of photography, how to see lines, textures, law of 2/3rds and other stuff. bryan has a knack of making complex things look simple. it would make an interesting read for amatuer photographers.
Old 27th February 2006, 10:59   #107
BHPian

currently reading davinci code by dan brown
Old 27th February 2006, 11:02   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
Would you care to have a nice cup of tea ?

or jynn' tonix ?
how about some pan galactic gargle blaster?

EDIT:Saw the movie H2G2 yday. Book is wayyyy better than the movie, as usual.

Last edited by amitoj : 27th February 2006 at 11:06.
Old 27th February 2006, 11:07   #109
BHPian

Reading Losing my Virginity- richard bransons autobiography.....its awesome...thats one helluva guy
.... You JUST HAVE TA GET IT!!!!!
Old 1st March 2006, 21:13   #110
BHPian

Finished "Five Point Someone" by Chethan Bhagath.

Don't know if you guys already noticed,
Hasen't IITD got a strict no bike policy? Then how come he and Ryan and Alok roamed about in Ryan's Kinetic?
I know! I know! this is a work of fiction, but just a thought. What say?
Old 1st March 2006, 23:00   #111
Team-BHP Support

It does, but still students keep bikes. When there is a raid they have to pay fine, but mostly people who are on good terms with security get to know of the raids in advance and temporarily take the bikes outside
Old 2nd March 2006, 23:23   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Anything by Forsyth, Archer, Grisham. I love Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, both very powerful. I know all the Sherlock Holmes series by heart. Pretty much similar with the Potter books. Wodehouse is a favourite, though I've never read too much. I worship Isaac Asimov, and I've read nearly everything he wrote, except the Black Widow series. Like reading JC's collections of writings. Dan Brown is also an interesting read. Archie comics are always fun.

ayn rand and forsyth are the people i personally started my "serious" reading with and surprisingly it wasnt the usual forsyth i read .......v1p3r if you liked atlas shrugged and fountainhead have you read "the pillars of the earth and/or a place called freedom by ken follet ???? those are must reads for an ayn rand fan !
try em out and lemme know ...!

Last edited by stararmour : 2nd March 2006 at 23:29.
Old 2nd March 2006, 23:27   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771
currently reading davinci code by dan brown

thats an awesome book but read angels and demons too thats a great book too dan browns books are very well researched !!
Old 3rd March 2006, 01:21   #114
BHPian

My top 5 would be:

1. In Search of Schrodinger's Cat - by John Gribbin. The most IMPORTANT book I have read in my life. Makes you wonder if the entire universe is 'maya' after all. Wonderfully, it does so through quantum physics!
2. The Foundation Series - by Issac Asimov. It is a series of 7 books. If you are about to try it, read it in the order it was written (and not in the order of events in the story). To classify it under science fiction would be a shame. It is more about sociology and cultural change. Most importantly, it makes our endeavours seem of little consequence in view of the infinity of time.
3. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy/The Restaurant at the end of the Universe - by Douglas Adams. Totally oulandish.
4. Pre-foundation novels by Issac Asimov (from 'The Caves of Steel' to 'Pebble in the Sky')
5.Julius Caesar/Hamlet by William Shakespere - amazing atmosphere
Old 3rd March 2006, 01:41   #115
BHPian

my favourite books would have to be
1..the lord of the rings ( i can read that book cover to cover and then cover to cover again !!! )
2..next would probably be richard bach's livingston seagull and the alchemist by paul coelho
3..hmmmm lets see in third comes the ayn rands fountainhead and ken follet's place called freedom and pillars of the earth (though both need a second read it's been years !)
4..of course all wodehouse (keeps me falling off my bed !!!)
5..and not to forget all of harry potter i love em ! wish i could live in such a crazy world !
this is actually very unfair cos i love every book i read ( well almost) from isaac asimov to eric van lustbader to stephen king even the "eragon" series ..... !!!
Old 3rd March 2006, 01:46   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stararmour
...and surprisingly it wasnt the usual forsyth i read .......v1p3r if you liked atlas shrugged and fountainhead have you read "the pillars of the earth and/or a place called freedom by ken follet ???? those are must reads for an ayn rand fan !
try em out and lemme know ...!
Read 'em all. When I mentioned authors, I meant I have literally read everything the author has written. Including Ken Follet. And I like some of Jack Higgins' stuff too.
Old 3rd March 2006, 01:57   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Read 'em all. When I mentioned authors, I meant I have literally read everything the author has written. Including Ken Follet. And I like some of Jack Higgins' stuff too.

awesome !!!! hahahaha so i'm not the only one who's read pillars of the earth !! what was your take on them ?? they're not the usual ken follet books ........
Old 16th March 2006, 04:24   #118
BHPian

Talking About books, Anyone know about modifications books and guides?
Old 16th March 2006, 20:57   #119
BHPian

A few books not mentioned so far:

'Shibumi' by Trevanian - A spy thriller with a liberal dose of Martial arts, international espionage, sex and philosophy. I love the lead character, Nicolai Hel. I'm planning to get hold of his other popular book 'The Summer of Katya'.

'Master of the Temple' by Eric Ericsson - A book on freemasonry and tantric sex. Blew my mind away when I read it, but I was pretty young then

Taipan - James Clavell - Actually I love most of Clavell's books. They are some of the most authentic adventure stories. I could feel the atmosphere created by Clavell, when I visited HongKong.(though the book describes a much older Hongkong).

Leon Uris' books - Topaz, Exodus, Mila 18, Armageddon etc. Uris is a masterful writer, and though I could see some of his bias now, I enjoyed them a lot when I read them.

Currently on a SF binge. On my queue is Ian Banks' Algebraist, couple of Neal Stephenson books, and a few others. Douglas Adams rocks.
Old 16th March 2006, 23:37   #120
BHPian

Reading the 'Outsider' by Albert Camus, .... also liked reading 'Crime and Punishment' kind of an old book by Russian author Dostoevsky.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks