Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2015, 18:56   #1921
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Need some advice:

I took an American express prepaid card as part of the redemption of my points. I misplaced the card, and unfortunately it expired. By the time I found it, it had expired. Strangely American express says the amount gets forfeited and I lost all the money. My point is that it is prepaid, so money cannot be taken away from it, they could charge some money for reissue of the card (same amount they do for a lost credit card). The other strange observation is that they have different terms and conditions on their websites, the global one says prepaid cards never expire while the Indian one talks about forfeiting the money after expiry.
Do I have a strong point to take up with consumer forum or would it be waste of time?
Have you spoken to customer care on this ? If you have been a good customer they would be able to reissue you a new gift card for the expired one.
Old 27th August 2015, 15:22   #1922
rkg
Senior - BHPian

HDFC devalues the credit card points value

HDFC bank had devalued the credit car points value by more 50-70%. Last year i had redeemed 3450 points for Rs 1000/ Raymond voucher. The same voucher now is 5000 odd points. It s like Rs 0.30-0.35 per point to Rs 0.20 per point
Old 27th August 2015, 16:53   #1923
BHPian

Can we pay EMI's via credit card?

I have American Express Charge card.

If there are no charges then will pay via Amex and earn points too.
Old 28th August 2015, 11:54   #1924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post

Hi. Which EMIs are we talking about here? I don't think home loan EMIs can be put on the cc & neither can car loan because I asked hdfc when I was taking the car loan. But regular bills including life insurance premiums & stuff can. So you can check out that option.
Old 28th August 2015, 12:36   #1925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

On a related note, many years ago, there were reports that people were paying one credit card bill through another credit card (and kept on juggling in this way for a long time).

I think there are restrictions on what type of payments can be made via credit cards now-a-days.
Old 28th August 2015, 14:13   #1926
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

I think there are restrictions on what type of payments can be made via credit cards now-a-days.
My car provider HDFC lists this as the acceptable modes of payment:
  • HDFC Bank NetBanking
  • Non-HDFC Bank NetBanking
  • HDFC Bank Mobile App
  • HDFC Bank Mobile Site
  • ATM Funds Transfer
  • NEFT/ Visa Money Transfer
  • Cheque/Cash Payment at Branch

Only Visa money transfer is feasible if you are planning card to card. This is because the means used to pay can also be a (Visa) credit card. Rest all are real time debits.
Old 28th August 2015, 21:53   #1927
Senior - BHPian

How can one pay a credit card's dues through another credit card, except by availing a Cash loan? Maybe that was how people did the juggling.
Old 28th August 2015, 23:47   #1928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
How can one pay a credit card's dues through another credit card, except by availing a Cash loan? Maybe that was how people did the juggling.
Balance Transfer, but it comes with a cost

All banks have this facility
Old 29th August 2015, 02:10   #1929
BHPian

Checked with Skoda dealer and was told to repay loan just attach your credit card as an option to pay emi at no extra cost.

Asked credit card provider and was told they have no objection if loan company allows. So I wonder where is the issue?
Old 29th August 2015, 09:39   #1930
BHPian

Quote:
Checked with Skoda dealer and was told to repay loan just attach your credit card as an option to pay emi at no extra cost.

Asked credit card provider and was told they have no objection if loan company allows. So I wonder where is the issue?
The credit card companies charge 2-3% of the transaction value as their fees. So they won't have problem in paying the emi though their cards.
Never heard car loan or any other loan emi's being paid through credi cards.
Old 29th August 2015, 10:11   #1931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why would you want to do that, pay a secured home loan EMI using an unsecured, higher-cost option like a credit card? Economically it doesn't make sense at all, unless you intent to pay off the credit card balance every month on or before the due date and also has the discipline and net cash flow to do it - in which case, just ask your home loan folks to align the due date with that of the card.

If your intention is to collect credit card reward points, many of them don't issue points on any type of EMI payments.

The home loan provider usually works on a thin margin (HDFC, for example, lends at 10.5% give or take some but offers 8.5% on FDs - margins of around 2%) which means they might not be able to absorb the credit card costs. HDFC does not accept credit card payments of home loans.
Old 4th September 2015, 10:35   #1932
BHPian

Re: HDFC devalues the credit card points value

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
HDFC bank had devalued the credit car points value by more 50-70%. Last year i had redeemed 3450 points for Rs 1000/ Raymond voucher. The same voucher now is 5000 odd points. It s like Rs 0.30-0.35 per point to Rs 0.20 per point
I too have a HDFC crdit card. And the reward points redemption is pathetic. I have stopped using it since long, and use my IndusInd or ICICI card.
Old 18th September 2015, 15:26   #1933

Is it better to redeem the reward points as cash or wait for some offers/goodies instead? I have an Indusind credit card and have accumulated more than 10000 points. Can someone provide an insight, would really appreciate . thanks.
Old 18th September 2015, 16:35   #1934
Senior - BHPian

Always redeem for cash, if the card issuers permit. No second thoughts!
Old 22nd September 2015, 15:22   #1935
Team-BHP Support

Just called PAYBACK and filed a cashback request for my reward points accumulated over the year.

A good few bucks @ 4pts/INR, plus anything's better than the crap these guys offer for redemption options.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks